CCleaner freeware

Ennnceee

Hello, I use several 'cleaners' and CCleaner always comes up with a much larger amount to clean than the others. Being a techie dummy it frightens me when it produces, as it just has, 251.8MB after I've used the other cleaners. Can someone please explain why/how it manages to do this and whether I should just get rid of the whole lot. I mean, I can't recognise/don't understand most of the details it comes up with.

Many thanks

Neil C

I'm not at all a XP techie but it would be good if you mention what other cleaner you are specifically comparing it to and you would probably have to start comparing settings between each cleaner. If you have broadband and have been surfin' for an hour, it's very easy to get that much in your internet cache. Just a thought, especially if it does that routinely over and over.

Hello, I use several 'cleaners' and CCleaner always comes up with a much larger amount to clean than the others. Being a techie dummy it frightens me when  it produces, as it just has, 251.8MB after I've used the other cleaners. Can someone please explain why/how it manages to do this and whether I should just get rid of the whole lot. I mean, I can't recognise/don't understand most of the details it comes up with.

Many thanks

Neil C

• Moderators

Installing Microsoft update patches, software installations, software uninstalls, etc., will add up to allot of junk files in the temp folders.

As Gwailo already stated the browser cache can add to allot of the MB size of what will be removed, even for dial-up users.

Installing Microsoft update patches, software installations, software uninstalls, etc., will add up to allot of junk files in the temp folders.

As Gwailo already stated the browser cache can add to allot of the MB size of what will be removed, even for dial-up users.

Thank you both. So, although, say, I've cleaned with IE6 tools and Norton Clean Sweep it's still likely that CCleaner would find a big chunk? And it's quite safe to delete it?

• Moderators
So, although, say, I've cleaned with IE6 tools and Norton Clean Sweep it's still likely that CCleaner would find a big chunk? And it's quite safe to delete it?

With Internet Explorer that would be the index.dat files, they'll grow unless you use CCleaner to delete them on the next system startup. As for what Norton Clean Sweep cleans I don't know, hence I've never used it, however with most cleaning programs one may find some junk another doesn't, which is the reason to use several freeware ones, the same goes for registry cleaners. However CCleaner is safe -- not every cleaning program has that status.

With Internet Explorer that would be the index.dat files, they'll grow unless you use CCleaner to delete them on the next system startup. As for what Norton Clean Sweep cleans I don't know, hence I've never used it, however with most cleaning programs one may find some junk another doesn't, which is the reason to use several freeware ones, the same goes for registry cleaners. However CCleaner is safe -- not every cleaning program has that status.

Thank you. I did notice the last time I used CC that it appreared to change the Registry settings (if that's the right term) and had to reboot to, as it were, update. Does this make sense?

• Moderators

Nope, that doesn't make any sense to me because I've never know CCleaner to force a restart. The only thing CCleaner displays about files that will be deleted on a restart are Internet Explorer's index.dat files.

Always a good idea to clean out your temp file every few days or so, especially if you do a lot of progams installing/uninstalling. To do thi manually, just go Start>Run> and type "%temp" (Without the quotes but WITH the percent signs). This will bring up your temp file. This can be quite large, and could easily account for the 251mb of data. To clean it, just Select All the files and hit the delete key. You may notice some files don't delete, but throw up an error dialogue. This is just because they are being used by Windows. - Get rid of all of these and your system will run a bit better.

• 2 weeks later...
Always a good idea to clean out your temp file every few days or so, especially if you do a lot of progams installing/uninstalling. To do thi manually, just go Start>Run> and type "%temp"              (Without the quotes but WITH the percent signs). This will bring up your temp file.  This can be quite large, and could easily account for the 251mb of data. To clean it, just Select All the files and hit the delete key. You may notice some files don't delete, but throw up an error dialogue. This is just because they are being used by Windows. - Get rid of all of these and your system will run a bit better.

Or you can go to "My Computer" and type

%temp%

to open the temp folder

and here is a picture I made for you.

And by the way - I tested the Run and its

%temp%