Speccy portable is not portable.

scriptdaemon

The "portable" version of Speccy does not save to an .ini, but instead saves its settings in the registry.

No version of Speccy saves an ini as the other apps do. ;)

WinXP SP3 and Vista Home Premium SP2

Ok then what options would you like to see in there?

Only show CPU, Hard Drives

It does save the window sizes and temperature units in the registry. ;)

That's the point of my thread...

Nothing to do with the installed version.

I think Luck10 may be referring to build rather than version. Speccy is still in beta and there's only an msi and a zip.

It depends how purist you want to be. It's may not meet the purist definition of a 'portable application'; but nonetheless it is portable, you can stick it on a flash drive and run it on any PC. Other Piriform software (and this may happen to Speccy) has U3 builds which presumably are true 'portable apps'.

I think most users are primarily interested in the fact it will run off a flash drive.

I think Luck10 may be referring to build rather than version. Speccy is still in beta and there's only an msi and a zip.

It depends how purist you want to be. It's may not meet the purist definition of a 'portable application'; but nonetheless it is portable, you can stick it on a flash drive and run it on any PC. Other Piriform software (and this may happen to Speccy) has U3 builds which presumably are true 'portable apps'.

I think most users are primarily interested in the fact it will run off a flash drive.

Saving to the registry makes it not portable. The portable builds (not U3, but the ones in the .zip files) for the other programs (CCleaner, etc.) do not save to the registry, but rather to a settings.ini file. That is for what I am asking.

If you launch Speccy portable from a flash drive on another computer while it saves to the registry, the settings get left behind on that computer leaving clutter and the settings will have to be reapplied when using on another computer.

And for the record, U3 is a dead format as far as I'm concerned (PortableApps.com ftw).

It's may not meet the purist definition of a 'portable application'; but nonetheless it is portable, you can stick it on a flash drive and run it on any PC.

No we have had this discussion before marmite you can't put Speccy.exe on a flash drive and run it, it has to be installed and run with admin rights. ;)

I agree with what you're asking for, I just wouldn't want someone to read your post title and think they couldn't run this version from a flash drive on multiple machines.

Saving to the registry makes it not portable.

No, it just means you need to re-apply your settings.

You can quote standards at me all day long and I'm quite happy with the notion that it currently doesn't meet all the desirable criteria to truly be called 'a portable implementation of Speccy'. But there's nothing to prevent you from running it on another PC. As I said before, it's semantics. It may not be a perfect portable implementation, but it still functions.

The portable builds (not U3, but the ones in the .zip files) for the other programs (CCleaner, etc.) do not save to the registry, but rather to a settings.ini file. That is for what I am asking.

Yes I realise exactly what you're asking for ... I didn't realise the other Piriform zip builds used ini files though.

As I said before, Speccy is still in Beta so maybe this will be done at a later stage.

No, it just means you need to re-apply your settings.

Hence, not portable.

Yes I realise exactly what you're asking for ... I didn't realise the other Piriform zip builds used ini files though.

Indeed they do. I help develop portable applications for PortableApps.com, and one of the other users has already created (still-in-development) launchers for the other three Piriform apps. This is also why I ask regarding the way Speccy saves its settings, it'd be a lot easier to create a launcher for it if I didn't have to back up the settings from the registry.

As I said before, Speccy is still in Beta so maybe this will be done at a later stage.

Indeed as well, which very well might be why it's not actually portable yet. However, the purpose of a beta is to provide constructive criticism. :)

Hence, not portable..

Well we're never gonna agree there, because we're applying different criteria :)

I help develop portable applications for PortableApps.com

That explains the purists' view ;)

I use quite a lot of PortableApps' software, and I'd be horrified if one of them stored settings in the registry because I perceive a common standard that they're adhering to. But Speccy's build being described as portable doesn't give me an issue because I'm using it in the broader sense ... as fas as I know there's no 'standard' for portable applications, and in any case I'm using portable in the descriptive sense.

In a PortableApps context, what standards are you working from?

In a PortableApps context, what standards are you working from?

Well, I certainly *could* just add registry key backup to the launcher to make it adhere to PA.c's standards, but why bother when I can just ask Piriform to update it to be consistent with the portable builds of their other apps? :D

As far as PA.c goes, nothing gets left behind and settings ought to be backed up for use with any computer without having to re-apply them.

Hi

I imaging that Piriform will edit a portable version (if it doen't work as it is, witch I thought it did), but I usually make my own portable apps, with uniextract.

Direct download link removed by moderator[/i] Juste unzip and put on key (and it is joint with this post also).

Direct download links are not encouraged on this forum.

Thanks ~ moderator

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys,

after a little test with regshot (a program that compares the windows registry before and after the installation of any programs) this is the result after the using of the prortable version of Speccy

----------------------------------

Added Keys:13

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Process\Speccy

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Process\Speccy\DEBUG

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\CtlGuid

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\DiagL2SecCtlGuid

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\ServiceCtlGuid

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\WDiagCoreCtlGuid

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\WLanDiagCtlGuid

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}\0000

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\0000

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\0000\Control

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Deleted Device IDs

HKU\S-1-5-21-329068152-1960408961-842925246-1003\Software\Piriform (is not created when the Speccy.ini file is present)

Added Values:26

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ESENT\Process\Speccy\DEBUG\Trace Level: ""

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\LogSessionName: "stdout"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\Active: 0x00000001

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\ControlFlags: 0x00000001

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\CtlGuid\Guid: "d905ac1c-65e7-4242-99ea-fe66a8355df8"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\CtlGuid\BitNames: " DOT11_ASSOCIATE DOT11_ROAMING DOT11_1X DOT11_PNP DOT11_SCAN DOT11_RECEIVE DOT11_SEND DOT11_IOCTL DOT11_OID DOT11_MISC DOT11_UPCALL DOT11_KEYMGR DOT11_PEER DOT11_SOFTAP DOT11_PAM DOT11_REPEATER DOT11_APROUTER DOT11_WME DOT11_CONFIG DOT11_MSM DOT11_MSM_ADAPT DOT11_MSM_SCAN DOT11_MSM_CONNECT DOT11_MSM_SECURITY_PKT DOT11_NOTIFY_OBJECT"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\DiagL2SecCtlGuid\Guid: "2e8d9ec5-a712-48c4-8ce0-631eb0c1cd65"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\DiagL2SecCtlGuid\BitNames: " SECHC_LOG_FLAG_ASSERT SECHC_LOG_FLAG_INIT SECHC_LOG_FLAG_DIAG SECHC_LOG_FLAG_ONEX_DIAG SECHC_LOG_FLAG_REPAIR SECHC_LOG_FLAG_STATE SECHC_LOG_FLAG_EXT SECHC_LOG_FLAG_EVENT_LOG SECHC_LOG_FLAG_FUNCTION SECHC_LOG_FLAG_MEMORY SECHC_LOG_FLAG_LOCKS"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\ServiceCtlGuid\Guid: "0c5a3172-2248-44fd-b9a6-8389cb1dc56a"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\ServiceCtlGuid\BitNames: " DOT11_AUTOCONF DOT11_AUTOCONF_CLIENT DOT11_AUTOCONF_UI DOT11_FATMSM DOT11_COMMON DOT11_WLANGPA DOT11_CLASS_COINSTALLER"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\WDiagCoreCtlGuid\Guid: "637a0f36-dff5-4b2f-83dd-b106c1c725e2"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\WDiagCoreCtlGuid\BitNames: " WD_LOG_FLAG_INIT WD_LOG_FLAG_RPC WD_LOG_FLAG_EVENT WD_LOG_FLAG_INTERFACE WD_LOG_FLAG_CONNECTION WD_LOG_FLAG_CONTROL WD_LOG_FLAG_LOCKS WD_LOG_FLAG_MEMORY WD_LOG_FLAG_REFERENCES WD_LOG_FLAG_FUNCTION_TRACE WD_LOG_FLAG_ASSERT"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\WLanDiagCtlGuid\Guid: "6da4ddca-0901-4bae-9ad4-7e6030bab531"

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Tracing\WLanDiagCtlGuid\BitNames: " WLANHC_AUTOCONFIG WLANHC_RNWFMSM WLANHC_FATMSM WLANHC_DLLMAIN WLANHC_TEST"

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\0000\Control\*NewlyCreated*: 0x00000000

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\0000\Control\ActiveService: "cpuz132"

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\0000\Service: "cpuz132"

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\0000\Legacy: 0x00000001

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\0000\ConfigFlags: 0x00000000

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\0000\Class: "LegacyDriver"

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\0000\ClassGUID: "{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}"

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\0000\DeviceDesc: "cpuz132"

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\0000\Capabilities: 0x00000000

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\0000\Driver: "{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}\0000"

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CPUZ132\NextInstance: 0x00000001

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\kmixer\Enum\0: "SW\{b7eafdc0-a680-11d0-96d8-00aa0051e51d}\{9B365890-165F-11D0-A195-0020AFD156E4}"

I think that we can finally consider the portable version of Speccy absolutely NOT PORTABLE.

You agree?

Edited by eagleman

Hello guys,

after a little test with regshot (a program that compares the windows registry before and after the installation of any programs) this is rte result after the using of the prortable version of Speccy

I think that we can finally consider the portable version of Speccy absolutely NOT PORTABLE.

You agree?

While I haven't chceked if it still leaves stuff in the registry, they added the ability to save to an .ini file in the latest version (though they did it in a way different from their other programs for some reason).

While I haven't chceked if it still leaves stuff in the registry, they added the ability to save to an .ini file in the latest version (though they did it in a way different from their other programs for some reason).

Sure, but I think that the "Save all settings to INI file" function is not working as expected.

Edited by eagleman

• 3 months later...