avast 5

Eli

Hi

I`m still using Avast 4.8. I understand that as they`ve started the new version: 5 , they were some users complaints about some issues.

My question : Is there a significant improvement worthwhile to update to the new version ?

Thanks

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Hi

I`m still using Avast 4.8. I understand that as they`ve started the new version: 5 , they were some users complaints about some issues.

My question : Is there a significant improvement worthwhile to update to the new version ?

Thanks

I would say 100% update to the latest version. The interface is cleaner and seems to scan quicker than before. I have been using it for a couple of months and have had no issues

No issues on a Vista laptop. Updates immediately after a boot if I haven't used the LT for a few days and updates at the very least once more during the day. And indeed, this is just the free version. Do the custom install if you don't want certain shields, e.g. Messaging Shield, although you can also disable them if they are installed.

One of the biggest improvements I think I've seen with any program update. Works well on my system, and uses a lot less resource than 4.8.

A definite yes to the update question.

I agree 100%

• Moderators

Just switched over to it after my AntiVir v10 super issues. It's running very good on my desktop XP Pro system and no conflicts like my first try of it so no STOP errors which make Windows unusable.

It's a very worthwhile update now as they seem to have weeded out the majority of serious conflicts.

At the moment I've been using it for a couple of days and can't fault it at all!

I`m still using Avast 4.8. I understand that as they`ve started the new version: 5

If you've been using Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1368 before and you registered it then download Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.377 which is the first version 5 made. Because your 4.8 was registered the registration carries on. After its up and running click on your desktop icon and click on Maintenance and Update. If you click on Update program it will download an install the latest version automatically. If you click on the Settings Spanner in the top right and click on select Automatic on both Engine and Virus Definitions and Program. You can put a tick in the My computer is permanently connected to the Internet box.

Now the best thing that I've found with 5 is when you did a full drive scan with 4.8 if it found a threat is would stop and ask what do you want to do move it, clean it or delete it. This was a bit of a pain as you had to keep going back to see what was happeing. With v5 it records all it finds then you can look at the results list to see what file and location then you select what you want to to do with them. Now the only problem with this is which ever option you select applies to all files which can be a pain if you what to delete some, clean some or ignore some. ;)

WinXP SP3 and Vista Home Premium SP2

• Moderators

The only point I would make regarding the above advice, is that one of the issues with the first version of Avast 5, was problems installing it over the top of 4.8.

I had that problem, and had to remove 4.8 to get a clean install.

Some people had problems and some didn't, so if you go with installing the first version of 5, I would suggest downloading the removal tool, and remove the old version first.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56983.0

The latest version of 5 has ironed out that problem I believe.

Thank you all for your replies. ;) I upgraded to version 5 , I think that this is the first thing I did right this week....

it is much lower on resources, and my PC seems to run faster ! Thank you all again! (BTW, I installed 5 over 4.8 with no problems at all, it also kept my registration number, so I did not have to reenter it)

The only point I would make regarding the above advice, is that one of the issues with the first version of Avast 5, was problems installing it over the top of 4.8.

I had that problem, and had to remove 4.8 to get a clean install.

Yes as Eli says he and I didn't have a problem installing over 4.8. It was automatically uninstall 4.8 as 5 went in. I've done that on a few machine without any problem. ;)

Perfect with out web shield - mail shield - IM sheild

Without web shield? don`t you need protection from web malware like viruses,worms and all the crap hanging in there?

maybe he got browsers sandboxed?

I`m almost always sandboxed and yet there are some instances that programs use the internet without you even noticing that, specialy with those that work in the background, or some other member of the family

that does not care much if the system is sandboxed or otherwise..... .IMHO it is not much of a price to pay, to be safer than sorry later on.

I`m almost always sandboxed and yet there are some instances that programs use the internet without you even noticing that,

Well the best program that I've found for showing all apps that are running apart from Task Manager is Process Explorer 12.0 you can delete any app you want too. ;)

Without web shield? don`t you need protection from web malware like viruses,worms and all the crap hanging in there?

no

No fate but what we make