AVIRA 10 released !

abu aufa

• Moderators

Looks nice but it has some very serious issues/bugs that I'm encountering:

1. Normal Windows hidden files like .EVT and some Windows license in the registry (which all Windows XP systems have by the way) it thinks are dangerous hidden objects, and the scanning can't go any further than that using the Complete System Scan option as it looks for Hidden Objects. This turns into an endless find 16 hidden files, ask to reboot, repeat, repeat. Effing insanity!

2. Using the Quick System Scan option does allow it to scan but once it gets to the My Pictures folder on my system it goes into an endless loop of re-scanning all of those files over and over gain, and not being able to scan outside of My Pictures.

I don't trust version 10 at all at the moment.

I'm going to try out Avast Free again :rolleyes: , but if it gives me issues like the STOP error I got before it looks like I'll just have to buy an AV license from elsewhere, so long as the damn thing works I won't mind.

I tried it on my virtual XP machine last night. It caught a virus that had been going around my school's email server. It seemed alright as a product within itself, but I think for now I'm going to stick with my AVG 9 free, which hasn't given me any problems :)

Of course the pen is mightier than the sword! You know who said that?

The guy with the pen.

Looks nice but it has some very serious issues/bugs that I'm encountering:

1. Normal Windows hidden files like .EVT and some Windows license in the registry (which all Windows XP systems have by the way) it thinks are dangerous hidden objects, and the scanning can't go any further than that using the Complete System Scan option as it looks for Hidden Objects. This turns into an endless find 16 hidden files, ask to reboot, repeat, repeat. Effing insanity!

2. Using the Quick System Scan option does allow it to scan but once it gets to the My Pictures folder on my system it goes into an endless loop of re-scanning all of those files over and over gain, and not being able to scan outside of My Pictures.

I don't trust version 10 at all at the moment.

I'm going to try out Avast Free again :rolleyes: , but if it gives me issues like the STOP error I got before it looks like I'll just have to buy an AV license from elsewhere, so long as the damn thing works I won't mind.

No big issues here like you had, Andavari ;)

No difference at all, Quick scan or Complete, did very well and fast.

I set VDF update 3 times a day and worked like a charm :) I use Avira Free in my old PC.

Anyway, Avast 5 had no problem too.

• Moderators

Apparently according to a post I seen on another forum this behavior can be stopped by turning off 'Follow Symbolic Links'

in settings.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Apparently according to a post I seen on another forum this behavior can be stopped by turning off 'Follow Symbolic Links'

in settings.

Following symbolic links by default is not a good idea. Windows Vista/7 have a lot of links used for compatibility (since some devs don't use environment variable but hardcode the paths to the files they want)... There are a lot of endless loops (like AppData\Local\Application Data\Local\Application Data\Local\...).. :huh:

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

in settings.

That would solve the looping issue, if only I could get by all those supposed "hidden files" it incorrectly detects on my system. It's unusable for me unfortunately, however it isn't my first scruff with AntiVir giving me serious issues.

At least I have Avast 5 now running without any issues, which was what I wanted to use in the first place and only used AntiVir 9 as a secondary option.

Installed and running on XP without problems.

ETA: Though considering the installer decompression routine stresses the importance of ensuring the authenticity of the package, I'm surprised that there isn't a checksum available on the Avira site, or better still that the package isn't signed.

Installed and running on XP without problems.

I lied. It hadn't installed completely for some reason and actually ran the V9 scan. I too have the hidden objects issue that Andavari had. Bit of a pain ... need to investigate.

• Moderators
I too have the hidden objects issue that Andavari had. Bit of a pain ... need to investigate.

It wouldn't let me do a full system scan because it always requested a reboot to "fix" the issue, however the issue doesn't actually exist. A major false positive or bug that causes it to completely fail.

Why do you people jump all over new releases ...

Hmmm. I choose to upgrade to the latest version of my current AV. Does that mean I'm jumping all over it?

... then wonder why you have issues.

Who's doing that? Like others I'm merely discussing its behaviour on here. I'm hardly ranting about it not working properly.

And no I wouldn't expect a new AV release to have major issues, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see teething problems. But either way I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. 30 minutes and I can have my OS back to the pre-upgrade image if I wish.

Jees, lay off the high-and-mighty attitude.

Hmmm. I choose to upgrade to the latest version of my current AV. Does that mean I'm jumping all over it?

How long was Avira 10 out before you updated? Did you bother to wait and than read the reviews before you updated? Where you having problems with the previous version of Avira? You sure have problems now. What did you gain by updating so quick?

• Moderators

It would be difficult to read any reviews on a piece of software if everyone waited for someone else to try it first Anomaly. There would be nothing to read :)

Big av companies are expected to release a working version of a new release, but sometimes it is only after the general public have had a go at it that certain issues come to light.

This forum swaps info on these software issues and the latest news.

If we all waited, like you seem to be suggesting, we would end up with very little info to go on.

Please try and be a more tolerant of others users right to use their computer as they see fit.

Also please bear in mind that if your reply to this post is anything like you gave to another moderator of this forum

Nice attitude from a moderator. Please don't respond to any of my posts or participate in any thread I might start from now on and I will do the same for you. You ruin an otherwise good forum.

Well, let's just say I would be a bit annoyed.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

It would be difficult to read any reviews on a piece of software if everyone waited for someone else to try it first Anomaly. There would be nothing to read :)

Big av companies are expected to release a working version of a new release, but sometimes it is only after the general public have had a go at it that certain issues come to light.

This forum swaps info on these software issues and the latest news.

If we all waited, like you seem to be suggesting, we would end up with very little info to go on.

Please try and be a more tolerant of others users right to use their computer as they see fit.

Also please bear in mind that if your reply to this post is anything like you gave to another moderator of this forum

Well, let's just say I would be a bit annoyed.

I would say all most all software has problems when it has a major update. This is just a fact. Unless a person wants to be a sort of beta tester the best course of action is to wait. There are many people out there that enjoy using new versions of programs specifically to trouble shoot them so there will always be people finding the bugs. I would let these people do the work since they seem to like to.

What annoys me is the people that have computers running just fine and than go install a major updated program as soon as it become available and than are surprised when they start having major issues. It happens every time. Go to any support forum for any program and watch what happens after a major update. The forum is full of posts by people that had perfectly running computers that now have all kinds of problems. Why do it to yourself?

• Moderators

The thing is though that avira 10 was a release and therefor deemed fit for human consumption.

I am a beta tester myself for a software company and accept all that goes with that, but we are all human and like to have the latest releases which are offered us, especially in the virus/malware arena.

Anyway let's just agree that some folk like to use on release and some like to wait.

Both sides have equal rights in my view.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

How long was Avira 10 out before you updated?

Generally I take updates to security software quickly. I've had no major issues with Avira and I'm happy to take a mitigated risk. To repeat from my last post, I would expect teething problems.

You sure have problems now.

No, sorry to disappoint, but I don't. The hidden objects behaviour is workable and nothing is stopping me from scanning my PC, nothing is stopping Avira from functioning. And since I have a regression path to the point before I upgraded, NO problem with Avira would have been a show-stopper.

What did you gain by updating so quick?

Experience. I work with software. It's my day job. I expect things to go wrong generally from time to time. I deal with it and learn by doing so. I accept the risk and one way or another I can deal with anything that crops up - as can many people here.

If I'd come here ranting and moaning about 'what Avira 10 had done to my PC' I could maybe understand where you're coming from. But I didn't; I posted here to discuss the issues. Threads like this help to publicise what the issues are and understand how to address them.

Maybe there are less experienced folk who'll see this and think "hmmm, I'll hang fire for a while" ... well that's all well and good if it helps to inform their choice.

As hazelnut says, it's personal choice.

Maybe there are less experienced folk who'll see this and think "hmmm, I'll hang fire for a while" ... well that's all well and good if it helps to inform their choice.

Of course it's a personal choice. I never said or implied it wasn't.

As for the experience factor I think you have it backwards. It's not the "less experienced folk" that wait to upgrade. They are usually the first because they don't know any better. When they do it a few times and mess up their perfectly running computers that's when they gain their experience and learn just because something is out of beta and been released as a stable release doesn't mean it is stable. In fact it is almost guaranteed that it's not stable. Experienced folk know this and wait unless they specifically want to trouble shoot. Any ways it's your computer to do with as you please and I wouldn't suggest other wise.

• Moderators
Where you having problems with the previous version of Avira?

I've always had issues with AntiVir as in every single version to some level for that past ten years (kind of ironic it's on version 10 and I've had ten years of issues with it). So to answer that question, yes.

My need to upgrade was to fix a version 9 issue which was a very rare and very random Explorer.exe crash it was causing about once every four to six days. That's all been of course cured by migrating back to Avast.

Edit:

There's really no need to bash the early adopters of software either. How else would people know of possible issues to look out for, or to avoid an update altogether especially those that trash a whole system.

Edit:

There's really no need to bash the early adopters of software either. How else would people know of possible issues to look out for, or to avoid an update altogether especially those that trash a whole system.

As I said there is plenty of people that like to be early adopters because they like trouble shooting. Unless you are one of those it's good policy to wait. There are so many examples of people moving to early into a new release and having severe problems. It's just no very smart to risk it unless you are into fixing bugs and trouble shooting in which case you probably know how to properly back up and restore your machine. There are far too many though that just have to have the newest just because it's new even though there is currently nothing wrong with what they are running. That is just asking for problems. I hope no one here is actually recommending to update everything as soon an update becomes available.

• Moderators
I hope no one here is actually recommending to update everything as soon an update becomes available.

What we do here is provide an interchange of experiences from people who have updated (and feel confident doing it) to people who are wondering if it is okay to do so.

That way, when less confident users upgrade a program, and have read any discussions here on it, they have a much better idea of what to expect.

If you read the forum, especially the software area, you will see many posts with members experiences on using different softwares.You will also see headsup about new software apps coming onto the market.

That's what this area of the forum is all about, members exchanging info and helping each other out.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

I've always had issues with AntiVir as in every single version to some level for that past ten years (kind of ironic it's on version 10 and I've had ten years of issues with it)..

That's interesting. I switched to Avira free from AVG free almost a year ago. I never had any problems with the Avira software - just that faff with their update servers for free users towards the back of last year. Other than that it's been unobtrusive and really sweet.