100 megabits per second

kroozer

So everyone will be on super fast cable but don't most servers cap commination speeds anyway??

To be honest anything over 10 megs isn't worth it unless you're using limewire or e-mule. :)

Richard S.

• Moderators
So everyone will be on super fast cable but don't most servers cap commination speeds anyway??

Tons of sites throttle the download speed, some cap it drastically especially those software download sites.

The only thing I'd see such a need for that much speed would be to stream HD video and lossless audio, and within the next decade hard disks should be stupid big in capacity to match the download speed.

is 100 mbits desirable? I've had it for well, years (I think.)

http://omploader.org/vM3ZtZw

^ my 1gbps cable connection

I believe that Cablevision (one of the best ISPs in the USA to my knowledge) pumps in 1.0gbps, I'm not sure how much of that I'm actually getting (probably around the 100mbps though, as thats what a direct connection to the modem gives.)

• Moderators

That speed may be very appealing, but the one underlying factor that would make it very unpopular to middle class Americans is going to be the cost. I'd bet it would be significantly more expensive than my inexpensive 3Mbps DSL which is alright for most stuff except for streaming HD video which takes absolutely forever.

is 100 mbits desirable? I've had it for well, years (I think.)

http://omploader.org/vM3ZtZw

^ my 1gbps cable connection

I believe that Cablevision (one of the best ISPs in the USA to my knowledge) pumps in 1.0gbps, I'm not sure how much of that I'm actually getting (probably around the 100mbps though, as thats what a direct connection to the modem gives.)

What is your reading with http://www.speedtest.net/ ?

That speed may be very appealing, but the one underlying factor that would make it very unpopular to middle class Americans is going to be the cost. I'd bet it would be significantly more expensive than my inexpensive 3Mbps DSL which is alright for most stuff except for streaming HD video which takes absolutely forever.

Maybe Uncle Sammy will help push the cost down, somehow. (I'm dreaming !) :rolleyes:

Wish I had real broadband out here, well something other then satellite (which isn't broadband by any means, though its faster then dialup).

Real broadband will become available on my death bed.

William (or Bill)

I've never seen the appeal in downloading movies either you're better off putting your money towards an audio/video rental shop.

Why run the risk of being caught downloading copyrighted content by the RIAA/MPAA just rent, rip and burn instead. :D

(note that ripping copyrighted material is illegal in most counties and cannot be condoned)

Richard S.

• Moderators
I've never seen the appeal in downloading movies either you're better off putting your money towards an audio/video rental shop.

Why run the risk of being caught downloading copyrighted content by the RIAA/MPAA just rent, rip and burn instead. :D

(note that ripping copyrighted material is illegal in most counties and cannot be condoned)

Richard S.

HD content will only grow with people wanting it more and more as standard definition content goes to the back burner, although that will probably take as long as the pipe dream of having a 100 MBPS connection. Multimedia content doesn't have to be obtained illegally, it can be "leased/rented" if you look to sites like Netflix, etc. Also being able to efficiently stream lossless audio would make MP3 and other lossy formats a thing of the past.