ccleaner freezes up when I try to install

dianee

I made a donation to Piriform and tried to download ccleaner. It starts out and gets to the part of scanning for viruses and stops. I tried this several times.

CCleaner is not an AntiVirus. It has no virus detection capabilities.

Saying this does not help your cause. CCleaner is a junk cleaner amongst other things.

Can you send a screen shot of when it is stuck?

I'm curious also to know why you think it was an AV? or did some one say it was.

No fate but what we make

I made a donation to Piriform and tried to download ccleaner. It starts out and gets to the part of scanning for viruses and stops. I tried this several times.

Wow, I just re-read your post and interpreted a different way after writing the post below. I am leaving what I posted below just because it may be useful in the future. I just realized that you seem to be having trouble with the download.

Try this link to MajorGeeks.com http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No...lish_d4191.html for your download. Please post back on your results either way.

================

Welcome to the forums. I'm sure the software writers and providers appreciate the donation. CCleaner is freeware so I hope you did not "buy" it. When you did your "scan" were you using the "Analyze" button or did you click on "Run Cleaner" from the bottom right?

If you click on "Analyze" you get a list of files CCleaner will attempt to remove. If you click on "Run Cleaner" in the bottom right, you will end up with a list of the files it deletes. You can then click on the items listed to open that group of individual items that were removed. You will want to reboot the computer after the cleaning, as some files like the index.dat files are removed and then automatically replaced by Windows. This is intentional, Internet Explorer requires these files.

If you feel like you have a virus, make sure you have an AntiVirus program and it is up to date and use that program for scanning. If you do not have an AntiVirus program, I would suggest one of two excellent free programs, Microsoft Security Essentials, or AVG Free AntiVirus. If you want to buy one and get even stronger protection, I recommend NOD32 from ESET.

If after that you still have issues, head over to the security and spyware parts of the forums for very detailed help.

Also, you should take a look at all of the settings. You probably do NOT want to check everything in the check boxes. For instance if you check the "Wipe Free Space" at the bottom of the Windows tab, the cleaning will take a considerable amount of time to run.

The program downloads can be found at the following links

Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows Vista\Windows 7*

Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP

AVG AntiVirus Free Edition for Win XP/2003/Vista/Windows7

NOD32

or from the FileHippo.com site. *Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows Vista\Windows 7 is only listed as being for Vista on FileHippo.com but it is the same for Vista or Windows7.

You may want to take a look at the CCleaner docs. I also have some notes on my own site with the settings I use, you can find the link in my signature.

Try this link to MajorGeeks.com http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No...lish_d4191.html for your download. Please post back on your results either way.

I'm sure from their reputation that the majorgeeks download will be perfectly kosher, but as I understand it (I may be wrong) the only two download sites that Piriform endorses are its own and FileHippo, for which links are available here ... http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download. The slim build you refer to can be found on the Piriform builds page here ... http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds :)