Index.dat files invulnerable to CC?

meditek

I have the latest CCleaner running on Vista Ultimate x64. I always run CC as administrator. There is only one user 'david'.

By default CC does not clean the temporary internet files and index.dat situated at :- "C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 "

I added the path and the following appeared in the .ini file :-

(App)Delete Index.dat files=True

Include1=PATH|C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\|*.* |RECURSE

(App)Autocomplete Form History=True

(App)Windows Error Reporting=True

(App)DNS Cache=True

(App)Start Menu Shortcuts=True

(App)Desktop Shortcuts=True

(App)Custom Folders=True

Include2=FILE|C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\|index.dat

(App)Options=True

DelayTemp=1

The temporary files are now cleaned but Index.dat is not, even after reboot. In fact none of the index.dat files are cleaned at reboot.

Is it possible to clean Index.dat files with CC? If so, how?

Thanks

Do you actually know what's in there?

You can use this ... http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html ... utility to view the content for your IE history - you can see if it's been cleared or not following a reboot.

As I said, the content and size remain the same after running CC. The content is shown using the aforesaid program 'Index.dat Analyser' which also makes a good job of clearing the contents if required.

As I said, the content and size remain the same after running CC. The content is shown using the aforesaid program 'Index.dat Analyser' which also makes a good job of clearing the contents if required.

It's the content I'm interested in - the initial creation size is constant.

So index.dat analyzer shows file content ... now I know ;)

Try this ... http://exodusdev.com/products/whyreboot ... it shows changes scheduled at reboot. Your index.dat files should be listed there after you run CCleaner.

• Moderators

Does including index.dat files in cleaner.ini (is this where the entries are?) do anything more than ordinary files? If no then CC won't be able to delete them as Windows has them locked. I don't use CC control files so this is just guessing.

Does including index.dat files in cleaner.ini (is this where the entries are?) do anything more than ordinary files? If no then CC won't be able to delete them as Windows has them locked. I don't use CC control files so this is just guessing.

Agreed, though like it's speculative. But assuming they're still checked under Windows / IE then they should be scheduled for deletion at reboot anyway, I'd have thought.

It's the content I'm interested in - the initial creation size is constant.

So index.dat analyzer shows file content ... now I know ;)

Try this ... http://exodusdev.com/products/whyreboot ... it shows changes scheduled at reboot. Your index.dat files should be listed there after you run CCleaner.

Aha, result is 'No files listed'. What next?

That is always assuming that 'Whyreboot' works with Vista x64.

Edit :- 'Why Reboot' doesn't work with Vista x64 - I ran a check.

Thanks

I added the index.dat because the regular one didn't work. Seems neither of them work.

• Moderators

OK. Do you have 'Run Cleaner when the computer starts' in settings ticked? If so untick it. Reboot. Open CC and in Cleaner/Windows right-click Index.dat files, and select Analyse. What is shown?

I seem to remember that once CC has been run in a session, and the index.dat files have been flagged for deletion at reboot, further analyses/runs will not show these files as being flagged, as they already are in that state. Having CC run at startup would possibly not show any Index.data files in subsequent analysis or runs. A reboot of course will delete and create the Index.data files ready for the next CC session.

If my previous guess/theory is correct then including Index.dat files in cleaner.ini would be ineffective, but some confirmation is needed from a cleaner.ini user.

That is always assuming that 'Whyreboot' works with Vista x64.

Edit :- 'Why Reboot' doesn't work with Vista x64 - I ran a check.

Ah - I couldn't see anything that said that explicitly.

All that Whyreboot does is look at a registry value; it's just that as a multi-string value it's easier to see 'read' its content displayed in Whyreboot. I'm assuming that same value still applies ... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations. The value only appears when there's an operation to apply, so you'll still need to run CCleaner first.

(Note this is not the same as the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\FileRenameOperations key.)

Augeus and Marmite

1. I did not have CC set to run on startup

2. I rebooted and ran CC. Index.dat analysis stated '0 files to be removed.

3. the registry address "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations" does not contain a field "PendingFileRenameOperations". I ran a search of the registry for "PendingFileRenameOperations" and the only reference I found was :-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\KeysNotToRestore]

"Pending Rename Operations"=hex(7):43,00,75,00,72,00,72,00,65,00,6e,00,74,00,\

43,00,6f,00,6e,00,74,00,72,00,6f,00,6c,00,53,00,65,00,74,00,5c,00,43,00,6f,\

00,6e,00,74,00,72,00,6f,00,6c,00,5c,00,53,00,65,00,73,00,73,00,69,00,6f,00,\

6e,00,20,00,4d,00,61,00,6e,00,61,00,67,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,50,00,65,00,6e,\

00,64,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,52,00,65,00,6e,00,61,00,\

6d,00,65,00,4f,00,70,00,65,00,72,00,61,00,74,00,69,00,6f,00,6e,00,73,00,00,\

"Pending Rename Operations2"=hex(7):43,00,75,00,72,00,72,00,65,00,6e,00,74,00,\

43,00,6f,00,6e,00,74,00,72,00,6f,00,6c,00,53,00,65,00,74,00,5c,00,43,00,6f,\

00,6e,00,74,00,72,00,6f,00,6c,00,5c,00,53,00,65,00,73,00,73,00,69,00,6f,00,\

6e,00,20,00,4d,00,61,00,6e,00,61,00,67,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,50,00,65,00,6e,\

00,64,00,69,00,6e,00,67,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,52,00,65,00,6e,00,61,00,\

6d,00,65,00,4f,00,70,00,65,00,72,00,61,00,74,00,69,00,6f,00,6e,00,73,00,32,\

May I ask whether you two are running Vista? If so, is it x64?

I also ran "Index.dat analyzer" which DOES clean the dat files. "Why Reboot" showed nothing and no new PendingFileRenameOperations entry appeared in the registry.

Thanks

May I ask whether you two are running Vista? If so, is it x64?

I'm not, although I've just looked at a machine that is (32-bit)!

To reiterate, you'll only see a PendingFileRenameOperations value if there's an operation queued for the next reboot. The machine I just looked at does have a value there and I see no reason for x64 to be any different. So I'm wondering if, for whatever reason, CCleaner isn't modifying (or can't modify) that key.

It would be useful if anyone else can confirm CCleaner's operation on Vista x64.

Do you have any security software running that's protecting your registry keys?

I'm not, although I've just looked at a machine that is (32-bit)!

To reiterate, you'll only see a PendingFileRenameOperations value if there's an operation queued for the next reboot. The machine I just looked at does have a value there and I see no reason for x64 to be any different. So I'm wondering if, for whatever reason, CCleaner isn't modifying (or can't modify) that key.

It would be useful if anyone else can confirm CCleaner's operation on Vista x64.

Do you have any security software running that's protecting your registry keys?

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. It is always nice if you can find a free program that works. In this case, for me, it doesn't and I have spent long enough trying. I have been testing 'Shadow Professional', the upmarket version of Index.dat Analyzer and it works splendidly and painlessly so I shall buy it. It's a good cleaner too but the best thing about it is that index.dat files don't even get written to.

I went through similar pain with anti-virus programs until I discovered Eset some time ago. Also splendid, painless and not a system hogger.

Also, years of pain with so called called Registry cleaners was solved with 'Wise Registry Cleaner Pro' - a first class product.

Again, thanks for all your help. Vista x64 can be a very good OS but it does require well researched and well written software to perform at it's best.

Again, thanks for all your help. Vista x64 can be a very good OS but it does require well researched and well written software to perform at it's best.

You're welcome. Pity we didn't get to the bottom of it - I suspect there are other people out there who are happily working with Vista x64.

But as you say, you have to draw the line line somewhere, so fair play for giving it a go :)