Automatic prefetch data cleaning CCleaner

cohrt

If you constantly remove prefetch data in using CCleaner, you will have your computer working slower, so you better remove this kind of cleaning as an automatic procedure.

One wonders why CCleaner had this function activated primarily.

It is correct that an abundance of accumulation of prefetch data can be a nuissance. Removing of prefetch data can be restricted to one or twice in a year.

Some comments, please.

Ren? Cohrt

in God I trust.

• Moderators

Mr.G (the programmer of CCleaner) has already given his response as to why CCleaner cleans the prefetch.

The prefetch feature within XP essentially creates a .pf file every time an EXE is run. This records the way the program loads and saves this data to optimize it in the future. (It's a bit more complicated but that's essentially it.)

Now these files will stay around on the system until the 128 pf file threshold has been reached. XP will then start deleting the old ones for you. The problem is that most users only have around 40-70 programs and services that they run on a regular basis. Which means the prefetch data will remain for an additional 58 to 88 programs before they get deleted. This will mainly include system updates and demo software, that are only run once or have been removed. You'll also have a record of all the exe filenames you've run (including any bits of dubious software!)

CCleaner will remove the prefetch pf files that haven't been accessed in the last 2 weeks, so removing the old and unused ones, but leaving all the programs you use most as fully optimized. Granted this will only save you a small amount of diskspace, and isn't protecting your privacy to the extent of IE History cleaning, but then the prefetch cleaning is only a minor part of CCleaner.

I know fully well you could say, "what about the fact it will delete the prefetch data for the program I only run once a month?"... or "what if I go on holiday for two weeks and then come back?"... or "I've turned off the LastAccessedDate property on my file system so it deletes all the pf files." ... or "I'm in love with my .pf files and don't want anyone to touch them!"

If you think these factors affect you or are highly important then I'd thoroughly recommend you turn prefetch cleaning off, if not then leave it the box checked.

Either way in the vast majority of cases running the prefetch cleaning option in CCleaner will optimize the system (reduce the number of unnecessary files) and not degrade performance.

Mr.G (the programmer of CCleaner) has already given his response as to why CCleaner cleans the prefetch.

Presumably well argumented. I take the points presented and conclude the argument of regular cleaning of prefetch data are at least weak or of no greater importance.

Ren? Cohrt

in God I trust.