Should I purchase a new graphics card?

slowday444

So several years ago I upgraded my integrated graphics with a PCI (mother board does not accept PCIe) card on this XP Pent4 desktop. So I've upgraded from a 19" LCD to a 20" wide screen. The card I have now does not have a DVI port. I don't game but am wondering if I should still buy a PCI card with a DVI port or I won't notice that much difference from the VGA hookup I have now? One issue I do have is that I use the "whole" screen, e.g. my resolution is greater than the default 1600x900 and on some sites there is a scrolling lag. Could a DVI connection help with that? There are several in the $40 range. Thank You!

I think you should just get a newer motherboard compatible with video card on VGA plus a newer motherboard means better compatibility with newer operating systems, newer video card supports newer games and applications.

If you have some trouble with lags as you suspect that this has something to do with the video card, you can try disabling a few visual effects. Right click My Computer on the desktop, choose Properties then you can disable a few visual effects somewhere from the Advanced option. This will somehow lessen the pressure on your video card, decrease RAM usage and lessen lags.

Also consider getting updated drivers for your video card. Maybe a recent driver for it was released and perhaps installing that will improve your video card's performance.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

So several years ago I upgraded my integrated graphics with a PCI (mother board does not accept PCIe) card on this XP Pent4 desktop. So I've upgraded from a 19" LCD to a 20" wide screen. The card I have now does not have a DVI port. I don't game but am wondering if I should still buy a PCI card with a DVI port or I won't notice that much difference from the VGA hookup I have now? One issue I do have is that I use the "whole" screen, e.g. my resolution is greater than the default 1600x900 and on some sites there is a scrolling lag. Could a DVI connection help with that? There are several in the $40 range. Thank You!

Its important that you run your new monitor at the correct resolution of 1600x900. I would first check if there is a driver update for this resolution. If not it will need a new card that supports this resolution. Other than some improvement in colour rendition I dont think you will see any significant gains in DVI. However, if you decide to buy a new card I would go for it.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro