v2.8.1091 : problem cleanup registry

dnoiz

Hello,

I have v2.8.1091 installed on Vista 64bit SP2. Since last week I have an issue to use the registry cleaner.

Last week CCleaner created (two times) a very large backup file (before fixing registry issues) and the application started using a lot of CPU when cleaning up. Since then, the backup files only contain 1 line. I manually killed CCleaner during the creation of the large backup files.

Screenshot showing CCleaner. This backup files and the content of the last backup file.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/8285/20100224163739.png

When I now ask CCleaner to fix the issues, the application hangs and uses lots of CPU.

I hope someone can help out. Do note, this is my work laptop so I can't do to many experiments ;).

Regards.

I do remember CCleaner and some other programs that I used to scan the registry use nearly 100% CPU usage on Vista at some time but I do not recall it making very large backup files.

Lets take example of one of the large backup files. Are you sure that would be 332,840 KB (three hundred thirty-two thousand eight hundred forty kilobytes) or simply 332.840 KB ( three hundred thirty-two point eight hundred forty kilobytes)???

The only thing I suspect that made my programs such as registry cleaners and antivirus have so much CPU usage while scanning is by changing the computer's driver from ACPI x86-based PC which is the default to Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC. I did this from the Device Manager in the Control Panel. If you have changed or modified a comparative driver of some sort on Vista, I suspect this could be the problem why a certain program gets too much CPU usage. I repeat, DO NOT change drivers of anything in the Device Manager.

However, it could also be the work of a virus. Also consider, reinstalling CCleaner or maybe using an older version.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Just installed the newer v2.29.1111. Problem persists. Isn't it possible that my registry contains something (since a couple of days) that makes CCleaner fail?

I have an AV actively running and I'm pretty sure I don't have a AV problem. Also, device drivers have not been changed since I started using this laptop, now some 6 months ago.

Also because CCleaner now writes only one line to the backup file makes me think that the problem is with the software.

@lshi: a screenshot of the big file's properties,

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5889/props2.png

As indicated, I killed CCleaner at some point because the files kept growing.

Thanks for the screenshot.

I do feel that CCleaner has more bugs in the 64-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7.

OK, where did you downloaded the CCleaner setup from???

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Sorry to hear that you started having problems with the Registry cleaning part of CCleaner.

One good way to narrow down the problem is to fix one problem at a time.

Basically, you will have to check only one issue/problem, click the "Fix selected issues", select Yes to create a backup and then fix the issue.

Please, let us know once you find out which one is causing the problem

Thanks!

I always download from the piriform website. No 3rd party downloads.

I will try the 1-per-step solution as mentioned and give feedback. I have quite a list to do since the problem started.

I'll try to keep you updated :)

UPDATE.

When I try the following link, the CCleaner process starts using 100% (50% of a dual core cpu) of a single core. This doesn't seem to end ... at least compared to other 'single fixes' which takes less then a second. Saving a single entry from the list gives the same issue (only 1 line in the backup file).

Screenshot to make things clear. The 1st peak in CPU usage is generated when CCleaner scans the registry.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3066/20100225170523.png

The entry contains,

ActiveX/COM Issue > Wow6432Node - Notes Link

Last week I updated my Lotus Notes client and the current list of fixes does contain a lot of references towards that program.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dnoiz,

Sorry if I didn't get back to you sooner, but things are hectic over here...

Can you please let me know what is the default value for the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID

It should be empty string:

(Default) REG_SZ

If the (Default) value is "Notes Link", then it is incorrect.

The reason you are getting huge backup files when correcting this issue is because the entire contents of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node is being saved into the file.

Please let me know

Thanks