A Bug Found In Latest CCleaner Version

j33h4d

Getting back to WFS, as some here are referring to it.

It is my understanding that CCleaner wipes MFT free space, not the entire HD.

I have read that a hard drive that is configured for Windows NT will normally set aside roughly 12% of the space for the master file table.

While this may still seem excessive to some, wiping the MFT is not the same as wiping free space on the drive.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I did a little more checking.

The MFT size on my 149GB HD is currently 183 MB.

I'm using about 21 GB of this drive, so the MFT is somewhere around 1% of the used space.

98% of the MFT is in use.

That leaves less than 4 MB of free space that can be wiped in my MFT by CCleaner.

Crap. Upon further review... :blink:

I guess CCleaner really does wipe free drive space.

That's insane. I mean, my C drive is selected by default, and I run CC daily, and it NEVER takes more than 15 seconds (30 tops) to run.

If it is wiping 128GB of free space doing 3 passes, that should take ages, I would think.

What am I missing, folks?

I'll tell you this, I've unchecked WFS.

I guess CCleaner really does wipe free drive space.

If it is wiping 128GB of free space doing 3 passes, that should take ages, I would think.

What am I missing, folks?

I'll tell you this, I've unchecked WFS.

Yes it does wipe free space, but consensus has it that it only does one pass of zeros, irrespective of the secure wipe settings.

But that still doesn't explain the time issue. WFS needs two ticks, one in Options / Settings, the other in CCleaner / Windows / Advanced. Maybe you only had one of them checked?

But that still doesn't explain the time issue. WFS needs two ticks, one in Options / Settings, the other in CCleaner / Windows / Advanced. Maybe you only had one of them checked?

Aha! The Advanced setting is not ticked. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Can you give me a rough idea of how long the 1 pass WFS usually takes on a 100+/- GB drive?

Aha! The Advanced setting is not ticked. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Can you give me a rough idea of how long the 1 pass WFS usually takes on a 100+/- GB drive?

It's stating the obvious, but it depends on how much freespace you have ;). I honestly don't know; it's not a setting I use and different tools seem to do this at different rates depending on the algorithms they use and the thoroughness with which they perform the task.

Other people might be able to post some times per Gb based on their experience.

• Moderators
different tools seem to do this at different rates depending on the algorithms they use and the thoroughness with which they perform the task.

Yeah making a calculation is near impossible as drive speed and other factors would have to be included in an estimation.

Some free space wipers I've used have taken just 40 minutes to finish on both my 75GB drives. While others such as Eraser take at least 3.5 hours to do both 75GB drives. The longer ones like Eraser for instance are doing something else with Cluster Tips after wiping the free space which takes more time.

ahakz~! :lol: i love using smilies... lol!

anyway, i hv removed my CCleaner and installed a new copy. now, it works well... maybe something was happened when i upgraded my app before... i think so... :unsure:

Too many Smillees XD. Anyway, if you are going to do that to your hard drive, it is going to die soon by making many writes.

The only solution for any problem is to be (or pretend to be) happy =]