A Bug Found In Latest CCleaner Version

j33h4d

Hey guys ;)

I'm not sure whether it was a problem or my CCleaner was doing something else. :unsure: In the latest version (Version 2.28.1091) which I downloaded around last week or last 2 weeks ago, I found that my CCleaner will not stop after I wiped free space. I prefer to set my program to automatic terminate once the job done. However, I started to realize the problem when my computer hung after I leave it for a night. :huh: After I met the same for couple times, I watched the wiping process and saw my CCleaner keep on wiping free space even the job already done. <_< it works like an infinite loop :P lol!

The only solution for any problem is to be (or pretend to be) happy =]

• Moderators

Yes Wipe freespace should NOT be on your default cleaning your going to give your HDD an early death

(WFS should be moved to Tools FOR this reason)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Giving my HDD an early death? are you sure? As i know, when one deletes a file, the file will disappear from the OS... hwever, the bits contain in it are still located in clusters in my HDD. By wiping free space, we are actually remove those unused bits from our HDD. Is it possible to shorten my HDD's life? :blink: please fix me if i'm wrong..

ident: errrmmm... quite often... once a week, i'll wipe free space. :huh:

Yes Wipe freespace should NOT be on your default cleaning your going to give your HDD an early death

(WFS should be moved to Tools FOR this reason)

Giving my HDD an early death? are you sure?

So for one deleted file you could be wiping free space for your entire drive.

If you're that concerned about erasing the files just securely delete them in the first place - then you don't need to wipe all that free space!

ahakz! not too concern until wipe the entire HDD after deleted only one file :P that is not concern... that's crazy i guess.. lol! :lol: i just use that function once a week... :huh:

actually, i'm using Recuva which works on the other hand around... so, i don't feel like i really delete the file from my computer. that's why i prefer to schedule wiping the entire HDD at least once a week. :unsure:

anywhere.. back to my point starting this thread. Is it really a bug in the latest CCleaner or maybe (who knows...) CCleaner has been implemented some algorithms so that one's HDD will really be cleared from unused data? :huh:

So for one deleted file you could be wiping free space for your entire drive.

If you're that concerned about erasing the files just securely delete them in the first place - then you don't need to wipe all that free space!

If your wiping free space weekly, obviously you are concerned about sensitive data you are removing.

WFS does but unnecessary strain on a HD. Either way if you really are concerned why not keep the files in a encrypted archive?

Could end up spending 5 years in jail under terrorism laws for failing to hand over the key but at least your data will be secure lol

As for the bug please can you clarify so i understand better,

wipe free space loops if close when finished is checked???

No fate but what we make

those files I deleted were no more needed... that's why I wanted to remove them. :mellow: even those files didn't need to be really protected, I hate people view any of my files. :huh:

5 years in jail?! :blink: I don't want to be in jail just because of a few characters of password :P

about the bug... I checked my app to automatically terminate once the cleaning process done. For a simple cleaning job (cookies & etc.), it'll terminate as I asked it to do so. the problem will only happen if I check WFS. as usual, it'll first start by cleaning those unused data (cookies & etc.) before it starts doing WFS.

Actually, WFS works fine... the only problem is the app will start again doing WFS once the previous WFS process reaches 100% (by right, it should stop). because of the system keep on doing the same process again and again, the app will not going to terminate since it's still consider as still running a process. :unsure: maybe you can try it by yourself.

I'm running Windows Vista in my box; in case you need this information. :P

If your wiping free space weekly, obviously you are concerned about sensitive data you are removing.

WFS does but unnecessary strain on a HD. Either way if you really are concerned why not keep the files in a encrypted archive?

Could end up spending 5 years in jail under terrorism laws for failing to hand over the key but at least your data will be secure lol

As for the bug please can you clarify so i understand better,

wipe free space loops if close when finished is checked???

I will try my self. Are you sure it's looping or just moving on to wipe MFT

I will report back after testing.

As for not wanting people to see your files, who are these people? A simple one pass would not people from viewing the file unless they have a microscope.

No fate but what we make

Worked as expected, you sure it's looping? As the reasons i stated above.

If you take a look in settings there is a chkbox called wipe MFT free space.

No fate but what we make

yeah~! I'm sure... nvm... i'll try remove my current CCleaner and install a new copy :unsure: i'll let u know by tomorrow ;)

Worked as expected, you sure it's looping? As the reasons i stated above.

If you take a look in settings there is a chkbox called wipe MFT free space.

• Moderators

As for sigs, where else would it happen, Intel? Do you mean love, or death, and do you really need three 'it's? And Ident, shouldn't you be using an adverb instead of a preposition, or am I missing your irony? You certainly don't get this in Eastenders, so I've been told. I think my brain goes funny after midnight, it's all this d**mn curling.