Wipe MFT only.

Meadows

• Moderators
I assume that it is replacing the deleted file name with empty data, which causes windows to stop tracking the changes to that entry.

The recognisable file name is replaced with a rubbish file name. The file length is changed. Deleted MFT records are not tracked, but remain flagged as reusable.

The recognisable file name is replaced with a rubbish file name.

Does a name change defeat the service "Distributed Link Tracking Client" ?

Would that continue to follow the new "rubbish" file name ?

Yesterday with Firefox closed I renamed urlclassifier3.sqlite as urlclassifier3_.sqlite in the C:\Users\User\... profile,

and created in its place a Hard Link to urlclassifier3.sqlite in my profile C:\Users\Alan\...

I switched to the User profile and launched Firefox and found that the old file with the new name was still in use.

I had to delete the old file before Firefox would use the Hard Link into the file in my profile.

I had to disable "Distributed Link Tracking Client" on XP because of the grief it caused to Acronis True Image,

and the only reason it is still active in Windows 7 is that the internal workings are concealed and mysterious,

and I do not know the dark forces I might encounter ! !

• Moderators

'Recognisable' and 'rubbish' are human conceits, to NTFS there is only a file name. As the MFT record is flagged as deleted, and the MFT bitmap updated to show that the record is available for reuse, both before and after the file name change, I can't see that it has any involvement in any active file management.

I have the Dist Link Tracking service active, as I don't know what will happen if I turn it off.