1st time Defraggler question

Jay85z

Hi, i loaded this up because i have just upgraded my computer processor to a core2duo and the past month havent really noticed a increase in overall windows speed and such, upgraded from a single-core p4 to this core2duo E8400 processor. Browsing windows and folders with tons of downloads just seems sluggish, im guessing this is why, i have a few games installed like mass effect 2 and a few Steam games which seem to take the most room, but i really cant see why i only have 40ish GB free on my hard drive (150gb capacity), so im guessing i will clean the drive up abit and notice some change in performance, am i right?

I seem to have alot of fragmented files on my hard drive i took a picture here of my defraggler screen, is it bad? and do you think ill notice a change when everything is cleaned up? and how long will this take when i start it on C: drive, a good few hours, or a day or more?

take a look, and let me know what your thoughts are I'm new to defragging and a general noob to computers, dont know if my drive is really bad or not i assume so!

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j3i87b.jpg <--my drive status pic

thanks for the input :)

If you want my opinion it looks very bad. When people want to improve performance the first things they generally think of are a faster processor or more memory when all that's really needed is a good clearing out of the hard drive. Even if you were successful in defragging you would still have a tremendous amount of data in the slow areas of the drive. If you want to keep all your data what you might really need is a commercial defragger that will allow you to place the data where you want it for optimum performance. Defragging with Defraggler might help a little but it will probably take forever and the results might not be that spectacular. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you have never defragmented, I recommend that you first do a Chkdsk. Chkdsk corrects disk errors if any. It is always recommended, run a Complete ChkDsk before defragmenting, it takes much longer, but is the best option.

chkdsk.gif

After the chkdsk. In Defraggler you have to defragment the free space [Right click on drive -> Advanced -> Defrag Free Space (Allow fragmentation)].

And After, have to do Defrag the drive (not Quick defrag)

That has to solve all... Greetings!

cc.gifCCleaner User && df.gifDefraggler User