Trivial Detail

This is hardly a bug, more of a detail, but being a stickler for details... The Google and Yahoo Toolbars appeared in CCleaner's Applications\Internet\ list. Neither are installed (granted they may have been accidentally and removed at one time). I've gotten rid of a couple other indicated but uninstalled apps by tracking down and removing some left over registry keys. And Removing the entire Yahoo key (as there are no Yahoo apps installed) from HKLM\Software\ and HKCU\Software\ for which there were sub keys indicating a Yahoo Toolbar (but with no installation path), indeed got rid of that entry in CCleaner. And the Google Toolbar key is under Google, catch being since Google Earth is installed the entire Google key can't be deleted. Obviously CCleaner infers the Google Toolbar is installed because there exists a Google Key (as the actual Google Toolbar key is definitely gone now)? I know, the entry can be simply unchecked (and there's nothing to clean anyway). It just bugged me I couldn't get rid of this erroneous entry!

But what a damn fine application. First registry cleaner I've ever used that didn't make serious mistakes. Applied to this Very Old installation, apparently the 1 GB of memory wasn't quite enough to initially hold all the Installer Issues alone without killing every process possible first! But they're gone now.

Thanks a Lot: DES

Well did you open all the Internet browsers in your computer and see if any toolbars were installed in any one of those??

I suspect that if the toolbars do not exist, they have somehow been installed in the past and improperly removed so besides the registry entries they have left behind, there could be remnant folders somewhere is these locations:

C:\ProgramData

C:\Users\name\AppData

C:\Program Files

Try looking for something that says Yahoo or Yahoo Toolbar in those folders plus the folders that are in those locations and if you see any that says Yahoo or Yahoo toolbar, delete them and run CCleaner's registry fixer tool.

Also, you can open your browser and go to View, then Toolbars and see if any third party toolbars are installed but not enabled or shown.

If Google Earth is still installed, I wouldn't be surprised why Google will still appear on the CCleaner's cleaning module. It may be because CCleaner wants to delete log files or any temporary data that has anything to do with Google Earth.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Well did you open all the Internet browsers in your computer and see if any toolbars were installed in any one of those??

I suspect that if the toolbars do not exist, they have somehow been installed in the past and improperly removed so besides the registry entries they have left behind, there could be remnant folders somewhere is these locations:

C:\ProgramData

C:\Users\name\AppData

Windows 7 locations, note "Applied to this Very Old installation" (Windows XP SP3 actually, but dating back to 2002).

C:\Program Files

Try looking for something that says Yahoo or Yahoo Toolbar in those folders plus the folders that are in those locations and if you see any that says Yahoo or Yahoo toolbar, delete them and run CCleaner's registry fixer tool.

I'd think that having already demonstrated removing the "Yahoo Toolbar" reference from the CCleaner lists by deleting the noted Yahoo registry keys, it would be obvious how CCleaner recognizes Apps for said lists? And perhaps given credit for the much more Obvious?

Also, you can open your browser and go to View, then Toolbars and see if any third party toolbars are installed but not enabled or shown.

Ah, like the recomended method for "Uninstalling" the Google Toolbar?

If Google Earth is still installed, I wouldn't be surprised why Google will still appear on the CCleaner's cleaning module. It may be because CCleaner wants to delete log files or any temporary data that has anything to do with Google Earth.

And Google Earth does indeed appear in the Application\Applications list, not Applications\Internet, two separate categories.

But none of this address exactly how CCleaner recognizes items for it's cleaning lists, except perhaps my noting that removing all \Software\Yahoo\ keys removed the Yahoo Toolbar reference?

DES

And Google Earth does indeed appear in the Application\Applications list, not Applications\Internet, two separate categories.

But none of this address exactly how CCleaner recognizes items for it's cleaning lists, except perhaps my noting that removing all \Software\Yahoo\ keys removed the Yahoo Toolbar reference?

DES

Maybe you are just not looking deep enough. What you can do is open CCleaner, make sure you have the Yahoo or that Google category checked in the cleaning module and click Analyze. If the Yahoo or Google appears on the list, double click at them from the list and that should give you the destination folders where those data are kept and from there you can see the Yahoo or Goggle folders.

I suggested that you open Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer, go to View near the top of the screen, then Toolbars and see if any toolbars are still there that are not shown or enabled.

Here I got a screenshot...from this link

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp80/Bi...ng?t=1266040804

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Maybe you are just not looking deep enough. What you can do is open CCleaner, make sure you have the Yahoo or that Google category checked in the cleaning module and click Analyze. If the Yahoo or Google appears on the list, double click at them from the list and that should give you the destination folders where those data are kept and from there you can see the Yahoo or Goggle folders.

I suggested that you open Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer, go to View near the top of the screen, then Toolbars and see if any toolbars are still there that are not shown or enabled.

Here I got a screenshot...from this link

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp80/Bi...ng?t=1266040804

I opened both browsers present, FF & IE7, and there are no Google Toolbar(s) (or any other unknown items) present.

Didn't know about that ability to show the files to be cleaned, that's great (I said CCleaner was a Good App). But there are no Google Toolbar files to be cleaned (because the Google Toolbar is Not installed). An Empty registry entry for it was Deleted previously.

As to not looking deep enough... searching the entire registry, there are 945 hits (keys, values, and data) for "Google". Two of them contain "Google Toolbar":

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Software\Piriform\CCleaner(App)Google Toolbar

HKEY_USERS

S-1-5-21-796845957-1993962763-725345543-1003\Software\Piriform\CCleaner(App)Google Toolbar

The second is of course only present when CCleaner is Open. If the first is Deleted, CCleaner restore it next time it's Opened. Either there's some Secret Baloney going on (IE & Adobe both are guilty of this), or CCleaner is Assuming the Google Toolbar exists based on the presents of the main \Software\Google\ keys. This isn't worth the trouble, just admit the program simply infers the presents of the Google Toolbar from the wrong registry key!

DES

I opened both browsers present, FF & IE7, and there are no Google Toolbar(s) (or any other unknown items) present.

Didn't know about that ability to show the files to be cleaned, that's great (I said CCleaner was a Good App). But there are no Google Toolbar files to be cleaned (because the Google Toolbar is Not installed). An Empty registry entry for it was Deleted previously.

As to not looking deep enough... searching the entire registry, there are 945 hits (keys, values, and data) for "Google". Two of them contain "Google Toolbar":

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Software\Piriform\CCleaner(App)Google Toolbar

HKEY_USERS

S-1-5-21-796845957-1993962763-725345543-1003\Software\Piriform\CCleaner(App)Google Toolbar

The second is of course only present when CCleaner is Open. If the first is Deleted, CCleaner restore it next time it's Opened. Either there's some Secret Baloney going on (IE & Adobe both are guilty of this), or CCleaner is Assuming the Google Toolbar exists based on the presents of the main \Software\Google\ keys. This isn't worth the trouble, just admit the program simply infers the presents of the Google Toolbar from the wrong registry key!

DES

You must remember the time you installed CCleaner, you must have installed the toolbar with it since when you install CCleaner, the options to install such toolbars are checked by default so they must have got installed somehow then improperly removed and I suspect that as long as CCleaner is installed, the keys that relate to those toolbars cannot be removed.

One option is you uninstall CCleaner and remove the CCleaner registry key plus those Yahoo or Google toolbar registry keys yourself, just be careful though. You can install CCleaner again and make sure that the toolbars will not be installed by unchecking options for those in the installation process.

OR you will have to install a new build of CCleaner called CCleaner Slim which you can download from this link. CCleaner Slim doesn't have the toolbar installer included so it could prove a better choice.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds