Permantly Deleting Files from Hard Drive

Toshiba

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I share this exact problem, does anyone have the answer? Graham J.

Try this: use CCleaner. Check the option to wipe free space and wipe MFT. (I'm assuming you mean "wipe" or "overwrite" and not "delete" as Recuva is dealing with already deleted files which can be recovered.) This should overwrite all the files Recuva doesn't. Then look in Recuva to see if anything has changed.

P.s. you'll need the latest version - v2.29.xxxx. Let's know if it works.

Cheers, Meadows.

Try this: use CCleaner. Check the option to wipe free space and wipe MFT. (I'm assuming you mean "wipe" or "overwrite" and not "delete" as Recuva is dealing with already deleted files which can be recovered.) This should overwrite all the files Recuva doesn't. Then look in Recuva to see if anything has changed.

P.s. you'll need the latest version - v2.29.xxxx. Let's know if it works.

Thanks for the advice, this does work to some extent although some files remain recoverable. I have a couple of programmes that will do this including Microsoft File Shredder. What I find frustrating is the experiance described above where after following the search you highlight or check the files for overwrite and then run overwrite only to get a message that says 0 files deleted in xxx seconds. If you follow this with recovering the files, many of them are fine. Cheers Graham J.

Thanks for the advice, this does work to some extent although some files remain recoverable. I have a couple of programmes that will do this including Microsoft File Shredder. What I find frustrating is the experiance described above where after following the search you highlight or check the files for overwrite and then run overwrite only to get a message that says 0 files deleted in xxx seconds. If you follow this with recovering the files, many of them are fine. Cheers Graham J.

Hi Graham.

I'm curious to know if your remaining files are of a particular type. I have one which remains recoverable - it's a .zip.

Cheers, Meadows

Cheers, Meadows.

I share this exact problem, does anyone have the answer? Graham J.

I too share same problem. Followed to the letter in docs for secure file deletion. Tried the Ccleaner MFT wipe. Still no help. Had this problem quite awhile now. Doesn't anyone know the solution?????

dhac

• Moderators

No secret. It's a logical entity, and indicates that there are deleted emails that could be recovered, if you so wish. The zip file is only created when you issue the recover command. So it cannot be securely deleted as it doesn't exist.

• Moderators

To disappointed deleters, I don't know what the specific problems are, but Recuva will not delete:

Files shown when the Scan for Non-Deleted Files option is ticked

Files of zero length

Files which are contained entirely within the MFT (less than 1k)

Files which have been overwritten by another file creation

And probably a few more I can't think of.

• 2 weeks later...
No secret. It's a logical entity, and indicates that there are deleted emails that could be recovered, if you so wish. The zip file is only created when you issue the recover command. So it cannot be securely deleted as it doesn't exist.

mmm... my file "Outlook Express emails.zip" is there all the time - so before and after recuva command. Funny thing is I don't use email but this file varies in size. Its either zero byte or "unknown". The Unknown size does recover to dozens of small files containing only zero zero characters. I am going 100% cloud, so gmail, facebook, etc. Outlook is on the PC but no e-mails.

I'm sure you're right, but puzzled about specifics. :huh: Where did you get the info?...

Cheers, Meadows.

Cheers, Meadows.