Drive still fragmented 38% after 1st Defrag

kbrown

Hello Experts,

I ran Defraggler for the 1st time. The drive started at 56% fragmented and when the defrag was over the drive was 38% fragmented.

I see that the number of Fragmented Files and Total Fragments is way down but the percent of drive fragmented and total GB of drive fragments are only down modestly.

It seems that this is not a great result in total but perhaps I'm not reading the figures correctly.

Is this to be expected?

How can I better defrag the drive?

Here are the figures showing before -> after

Fragmented Files: 6,393 (57.4GB) -> 176 (38.9GB)

Total Fragments: 53,029 -> 1,599

Fragmentation: 56% -> 38%

Advice and pointers most welcome.

ps: This product looks pretty good. It appears to have the the feautres we once had in the old Norton Utilities before Symantec.

Look at the "File List" tab not the fragmentation statistics this can be misleading because some folders containing files are not accessible to the user such as "C:\System Volume Information" (system restore folder).

Richard S.

Look at the "File List" tab not the fragmentation statistics this can be misleading because some folders containing files are not accessible to the user such as "C:\System Volume Information" (system restore folder).

Richard S.

... and if you have OCD you can delete your restore points if you feel confident in your machine's current state, then defraggle, and finally turn system restore back on.

Similar issue to kbrown. except the analysis keeps going up, after defraggling .

Started with 55% before 1st full defrag

Got 18 files(mostly C:\system volume info\)

199 fragments

61%

Ran analysis again , so did a PC Pitstop optimize, (cache, temp files, recycle, etc), also CCleaner, but not sure which items to check, and/or clean

Got 35 files

280 fragments

64%

Worst result was 23 fragments of >9 million KB, and other large files on C:\system volume information\

Lowest result was 2 fragments of 5 KB in various user or program files.

So not sure :unsure: what's going on. I liked the advice about removing some older/minor restore points, (after trying some other utilities,) but not sure how, or if wise. Are there any other safe suggestions I should attempt?

Defragging should improve results, not worsen ?!?!?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer,

Lin

Hello Experts,

I ran Defraggler for the 1st time. The drive started at 56% fragmented and when the defrag was over the drive was 38% fragmented.

I see that the number of Fragmented Files and Total Fragments is way down but the percent of drive fragmented and total GB of drive fragments are only down modestly.

It seems that this is not a great result in total but perhaps I'm not reading the figures correctly.

Is this to be expected?

How can I better defrag the drive?

Here are the figures showing before -> after

Fragmented Files: 6,393 (57.4GB) -> 176 (38.9GB)

Total Fragments: 53,029 -> 1,599

Fragmentation: 56% -> 38%

Advice and pointers most welcome.

ps: This product looks pretty good. It appears to have the the feautres we once had in the old Norton Utilities before Symantec.