New Sandboxie version

hazelnut

Once the software is installed you can decide whether to run Internet Explorer inside or outside the sandbox or both.

If you download files inside the sandbox then the files are stored in a folder located in c:\sandbox\ until you've purged it.

Richard S.

• Moderators

Yes Fluffy Sandboxie is what I use. I believe Dennis does too.

I actually would never dream of going online unsandboxed now. It makes me feel very safe.

Have a little read here to get a bit of an idea about ti

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?HelpTopics

It can look very complicated but isn't really.

Basically you can just right-click your browser and select run sandboxed. Everything that then goes into the sandbox while you are online, (even trojans) can just be deleted by emptying the sandbox.

There is of course an option to save something from the sandbox to your desktop for instance, perhaps a program you want or the latest ccleaner update!!

You can run a program sandboxed to test it out without it writing anything to your system Of course it is not a good idea to run your security stuff sandboxed.

Your av will still work while you are online sandboxed.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Will be doing at the weekend Tom.

At the moment I am testing 2 other software apps, so want to get them out the way first. But I don't anticipate any problems with the new build.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

I wonder why is it that if I try to update through Sandboxie, it states that there are no available new versions.

(I have version 3.42)

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Hazel and Redhawk !

Thanks for your replies..I have now downloaded Sanboxie and using it now ..having a little play with it so you could say `im playing in the sand pit :P

Just not sure about updating windows and ccleaner MBAM etc and other essential programs whilst sanboxed.

I wondered if you bother with using emails sandboxed ??

Fluff

Sandboxie uses temporary storage which needs purging periodically so it would not be wise use an email client if you wish to retain newly received mail.

If however you have a suspicious message or attachment then sandboxie would be useful for inspecting in this situation.

Richard S.

Thanks Redhawk and Hazel

Have configured emails in sandboxie to be able to run sandboxed if i so choose,so i can open dodgy emails !

A couple more questions if you can enlighten,

My real time AV (avast) will be running normally even within the sandbox program, good!

If i do a scan using MBAM or Super antispyware, will this look at anything inside the sandboxed program and scan it ?

I did notice that my CCleaner for instance didn`t remove web browser history in the sandbox,will this then still have cookies etc in it ? or can i configure CC to clean out the sandboxie browser ?

Oh the sand seems to get everywhere !!!!! :o

Fluff

Hazelnut !! and Redhawk..Thanks! have been reading the links and having a play around .I think I`m sorted now !!!

As always many thanks for the help ;)

anyone else out there who hasn`t got round to updating their security..what are you waiting for !! no time like the present !!!

Fluff

It`s me again !!

With a couple of queries...

1 I understand that my CCleaner can`t clean everthing out of the sandbox web browser,history,cookies etc,

It seems to clear somethings when i run it sandboxed..when i`ve used my web browser sand boxed

can I alter any settings on CCleaner to make sure it has purged the sandboxie files ?( i do like my CCleaner !)

2.if i open,sandboxie control,from start,programs,sandboxie control,sandboxiedefault box,explore contents,user.

there are files including cookies etc that i thought would have been deleted,when i shut down sandboxie,if i choose empty contents option,it says there is nothing to delete .as they are not sandboxed ! i.e i can delete them and they go into recycle bin as an ordinary file.

which then makes me think that somehow they have got out of the sandbox ! if this was a trojan it could do the same?

hope i`m not been parnoid but sanboxie does say "trust no program"!

any thoughts appreciated from sandboxie users !!!

Fluff

2. When you get a malware while on a sandboxed session, all the activities are confined on such sandbox. The next thing to do is to purge data after the session. I've downloaded a PDF file from a sandboxed browser. I executed the file directly from where Sandboxie stores it temporarily (in my case, it is D:\Sandbox\Administrator\DefaultBox\user\current\Desktop) and Sandboxie sandboxed it.

btw,,is there any configuration tips for sandboxie here on the site?

..when i use sandboxiei have check everything in IE

delete-invocation-erase verything when exit

-restriction-only iexplore

-sandboxed cd/dvd drives...

Any other recomendations?

• Moderators

I think aqua that the sandboxie forum is probably the best place for all the tips. There's some great info on there.

Just reading the threads gives a lot of info. Also the faq's can help with the basics.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?HelpTopics

If you click on the 'all pages'' link on that page it gives loads of info in alphabetical order

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Fluff, and any others new to Sandboxie.

There isn't any need to use any third party software to clean up or delete the contents of the Sandbox.

With your browser Sandboxed, everything it downloads in way of temp files, cookies, or even Malware is placed into a copy of the actual folder it would have gone to, created inside the Sandbox.

When you explore the sandbox, the cookies and stuff you are finding in folders haven't escaped the sandbox. They are in copies of the real folders mentioned above.

Next time you have a look in the sandbox, make a note of any particular folder in there containing undesirable files, and then go look for the real folder, which you will find devoid of those files.

When I close down my browser, Sandboxie is configured to automatically delete the contents of the sandbox, which is the complete folder structure created inside of it.

I don't need to examine the sandbox after browsing, or use another program to delete it, as hand in hand with that setting, I have "Quick Recovery" activated and configured to give me the option of recovering files heading for a particular chosen folder or folders, straight to the real folders on my Hard Drive.

You can also configure Sandboxie to securely delete the contents of the Sandbox using "Eraser" or "SDelete". I would go along with Eraser, but I believe SDelete isn't as reliable.

You should be able to set up Sandboxie so that using it is a smooth and painless operation with as little user interference as possible.

Activate it, browse and "Instantly Recover" chosen stuff to the real folders, close your browser, and the sandbox is automatically deleted, securely or otherwise.

I'm wondering if you guys are making it too complicated, when all the necessary recovering and deleting can be set up within Sandboxie itself.

Of course this is just MHO, and the way I have Sandboxie set up for myself.

If anyone is having a problem with settings, or even fully understanding what you can actually do with Sandboxie and how it works, please post your queries and hopefully make using Sandboxie a much simpler process.

Of course you guys who already know all this can tell me to p*** off and mind my own business, but I'll chance that. :)

hi Dennis,i use sdelete and it works good also for the sytrem. and specially becuase is a systernal product.

,i though about eraser,,but i read to many complains for the latest build,and now i wonder which eraser build was the best.

.you know i also read in some sites that sandboxie can stop programs to phone home..i bet ?..ios done allowing only accesiing browser to the net in restriction.

• Moderators
hi Dennis,i use sdelete and it works good also for the sytrem. and specially becuase is a systernal product.

,i though about eraser,,but i read to many complains for the latest build,and now i wonder which eraser build was the best.

.you know i also read in some sites that sandboxie can stop programs to phone home..i bet ?..ios done allowing only accesiing browser to the net in restriction.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...st&p=160353

I heard negative stuff about SDelete some time back, but nothing stays the same so we could both be right, or wrong. :D

Whatever works for you is the right one.

• Moderators
what about eraser?..which version you use?...i heard comments about it too.

I don't actually use it anymore. Takes too long for me, and the normal Sandboxie delete does what I want.

I pointed it out as there are plenty of folk who prefer to secure delete.

This works for me:

By default, Sandboxie deletes the sandbox using a standard Windows command to delete folders -- RMDIR. This makes sure the contents of the sandbox (including malicious software) are properly removed from the operating system. But as mentioned above, it leaves the data vulnerable to inspection and recovery by forensics experts.

Link:

I did have Eraser 5.7 but it's off my system now.