Media Players eatting up CPU

riin

Well, I updated my video card the other day from a Geforce 5200 to a GeForce 6600. Everything is fine with it graphic and game wise, but I'm having issues trying to play back mpegs and dvds on all of my players. When I pulled up the task manager it was saying that the media player was using up 100% of my CPU, and it was slowing down my computer a ton.

Here's all my information, I hope it's just something I forgot to do and it's not the card itself ><

A7N8X-E Motherboard

AMD Athlon XP 3200+

1GB RAM

GeForce 6600 256MB card - ForceWare version 78.11

Windows XP SP2

Having issues running Windows Media Player 10 and Quicktime. I've heard this has been an issue with GeForces series 6 cards, any advice would help ^^

well, I uninstalled everything and reinstalled the drivers from the disk. It works now O_o

The ForceWare version is now 71.84, so I've downgraded, but does anyone know WHY it works now? I can't make heads or tails of it.....

• Moderators
Media Players eatting up CPU

Did they say if it tasted good or not and how much did they eat up? Are they fill!?!?

I don't know the exact reason, but drivers tend to conflict with other drivers every now and then.

I don't recommend updating drivers unless you know for sure it will improve or fix performance in any manner. You can run into problems "like that one", if you keep updating your drivers all the time.

On another note, it could also be how you are installing/updating the drivers.

A few years ago, I wrote a big article on a news site about updating drivers. It was mainly for an ATI/VIA conflict that was happening a few years ago. But, really obtains to all drivers.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key