wipe vs erase, etc.

Anderson2

Hi

Please forgive me for asking what may be basic questions but I am new to Ccleaner and am afraid of messing up my system.

1. Does Ccleaner just erase things like temp files, etc. or does it "wipe" them?

2. When I run analyze on "Cleaner" in the Windows tab, one of the things it shows for deleting is "Utilities - Windows Defender". Is there a way to unselect that from the list of what Cleaner will delete?

3. Under the Applications tab, only certain applications are shown. There are many more. What about them?

4. When you click on Ccleaner on the right click menu of the trashcan, what does it delete? Just what is in the trashcan or does it run the entire Ccleaner thing?

Thanks.

Jeff

Perhaps have a read here first and then come back with any questions that you still have outstanding

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner

Welcome to the forum :)

Actually, beleive it or not, I did go over the documentation before asking and I am still not clear whether Ccleaner just erases things like temp files, etc. (like Windows' Disk cleanup does) or whether it "wipes" them. I used to use Acronis privacy suite in XP and it actually wiped this material.

(same for the remaining questions ..... It's a dangerous tool to use without absolute clarity, especially the registry cleaner)

Jeff

Actually, beleive it or not, I did go over the documentation before asking and I am still not clear whether Ccleaner just erases things like temp files, etc. (like Windows' Disk cleanup does) or whether it "wipes" them. I used to use Acronis privacy suite in XP and it actually wiped this material.

(same for the remaining questions ..... It's a dangerous tool to use without absolute clarity, especially the registry cleaner)

Jeff

deleting is wiped, over passing is writen data to the bytes before deletion.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

Isn't that a little confusing Ident? CC Normal Deletion just deletes files, as ctl/shift would do, and CC Secure Deletion overwrites the file name and data before deleting the file.