CCleaner layout

JDPower

I have thought for a long time some of the placing of CC sections are not very intuitively placed. To me having cookies, inclusions and exclusions under 'Options' makes no sense.

Plus I'm sure the Options>Settings and Options>Advanced sections could be combined under one button, just have the advanced options under an 'Advanced' heading.

And having the Options button open on the 'About' page just adds an unnecessary extra click, no one who clicks on options is looking for 'About'.

My solution:

I'd move the inclusions and exclusions to their own button/section (ie like the main sections at side - Cleaner, Registry, Tools etc).

Also move the Cookies section, perhaps integrate it as a sub section of the above mentioned new inclusions/exclusions section as that is essentially what the cookies section is - cookies to include and exclude.

This would leave under the 'Options' button just 'Settings', 'Advanced' and 'About'. Combine the 'settings' and 'advanced' into one section, just give the advanced options an 'Advanced' heading. Both sections have plenty of free space so no problem fitting them on one page. And then just add an About button elsewhere, probably at the top or bottom (below "Online Help"?) of CCleaner as most other software also place it. This would tidy up the 'Options' section resulting in clicking on options showing 'Settings' and 'Advanced' on one unified page and no unnecessary further buttons to click to go to the options section you actually want (as is the case now).

What does anyone else think?

I think they should make a better context menu of the detected files and registry problems. If I am not wrong, this hasnt yet been implemented. The only option you see on the context menu is View Detailed Results, Sort by and Save to text file...

I mean, they should innovate a way you can right click on a detected file or registry problem, and from there you will have options like Unmark, Select for Fixing, and Add to Ignore Lists.

It feels kinda hard manually adding registry keys on the Exclude category. You still have to go to Options>Exclude and press Add Folder, Add Files, Add Registry.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

If the GUI was completely redesigned from the ground up it could possibly simplify things more. I don't personally like all the mouse clicks to dig into other sections to find all the settings, but that's the way it is.

If the GUI was completely redesigned from the ground up it could possibly simplify things more.

I think that's the key thing really ... it's difficult to make too many changes to what's there without a fair bit of redesign.

Well my minor suggestion is why not add additional options to the context menu like what I suggested on my first post above? Surely, that wouldn't be too hard and will really improve things a bit.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

I agree with this - the GUI could definitely use some updating/streamlining. It's a great product, but a smarter, more intuitive look would be marvellous. JDPower's suggestions seem like a sensible nod in the right direction.

If the Piriform family of products also had a consistent look/layout (with accommodations for the varying functions, of course), that would only make things all the better. Brand coherency and all that.