Winapp2.ini discontinued?

TeeJay3800

I removed the download link for winapp2.ini due to the size of the file, it was affecting CCleaner's performance.

That has not been true in my experience at all. Even on my very old laptop (K6-2 333 MHz, 160MB RAM, Windows 2000), CCleaner performs just fine...almost as fast as on my new laptop. Because of that, I don't see any need to remove the download link for that file. Fortunately, I kept the latest version of the file and am now using it with CCleaner 2.28.

Since even on the slowest of slow computers CCleaner's performance is speedy, is there any chance of this file being brought back?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

The problem actually does exist with it causing CCleaner to come to a complete crawl with some of the cleaners that are available. The task of going through all of them is too daunting, and hence the warning text in the empty premade winapp2.ini file that TwistedMetal made available.

When I was confronted with that slowdown I renamed winapp2.ini on my system which allowed CCleaner to clean at the expected normal fast speed. With winapp2.ini enabled it was taking over 60 seconds to clean using the normal delete mode (not secure deletion). Of course I've only noticed this issue with versions of CCleaner that are newer than 2.21.940.

Edit:

Actually the problem was brought up by a forum member months ago, and at the time I didn't know what he was going on about until I also had the problem.

When I was confronted with that slowdown I renamed winapp2.ini on my system which allowed CCleaner to clean at the expected normal fast speed. With winapp2.ini enabled it was taking over 60 seconds to clean using the normal delete mode (not secure deletion). Of course I've only noticed this issue with versions of CCleaner that are newer than 2.21.940.

It doesn't cause any significant slowdown on mine, but apparently it does on some (like yours). However, the file is not included with CCleaner and is only available by digging through the Piriform forums. Because of that, I don't see the harm in making it available to users to choose to take the time to let those additional items be cleaned.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

Well one reason was from people reporting how slow CCleaner was running, there's numbers of posts like that.

I don't know if most of them were using winapp2.ini or not, however I suspect some of them may have been using it and just didn't realize how much it could slowdown CCleaner on some systems.