disk boot failure how to repair

Dutch

I'm trying to repair my brother's computer. He received a bad email and clicked on the link, (big no no I told him never to do it ) well it took over his system, and crash. :angry: He's only had the computer a little over a year.

What I get after boot up is Disk Boot Failure insert system disk and press enter.

All well and good - he never made back up discs. <_< (told him to but he didn't listen)

I've tried the F11 without luck. Did the F2 & F10 all comes back to the screen disk boot failure.

this is a HP M8200N running vista home premium AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual cor processor 6000+

How to repair did a lot of research - seems that HP will send the discs, What I've read for this system is they don't work properly. I'm trying to avoid that.

do I purchase Vista and reinstall it?

if so how can I tell prior that this crash didn't blow the HD, or anything else for that matter?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I don't know vista, I'm still running xp without problems.

Dutch

I'm trying to repair my brother's computer. He received a bad email and clicked on the link, (big no no I told him never to do it ) well it took over his system, and crash. :angry: He's only had the computer a little over a year.

What I get after boot up is Disk Boot Failure insert system disk and press enter.

All well and good - he never made back up discs. <_< (told him to but he didn't listen)

I've tried the F11 without luck. Did the F2 & F10 all comes back to the screen disk boot failure.

this is a HP M8200N running vista home premium AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual cor processor 6000+

How to repair did a lot of research - seems that HP will send the discs, What I've read for this system is they don't work properly. I'm trying to avoid that.

do I purchase Vista and reinstall it?

if so how can I tell prior that this crash didn't blow the HD, or anything else for that matter?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I don't know vista, I'm still running xp without problems.

Dutch

HP will send the discs for $20 I think but do you have any other hard drives on the computer? External etc? Try removing them.

If you have the HP disc, you can click Repair to fix it too.

If you run the bios, you could set the bios to defaults. Can you run the bios at all?

There is no external hd I no the software is on D but can't get into it. Can't get the computer to go into safemode.

No I don't have the HP disc did the bios to default without luck went to screen which says " Disk boot failu

is this a desktop?..if so..maybe..yes maybe you have dust inside around hard disk,or your cd/dvd driove..

unplug your pc for half an hour,open the caseclean dust,make sure all cables are firmly attached.

IF your hard drive is SATA...try to change ports and then check bios to boot from the right port [HARD DRIVE]

-also you may need to fix master boot record...you have usb ports right ..read this http://www.ubcd4win.com/

---could be also a faulty EIDE cable...http://www.hddoctor.net/error-messge-disk-boot-failure/

--you may try also to remove the cmos battery and then reinstall...battery may have dust also

make sure everything is properly connected.

hope it helps.if it woks...if you can boot,MAKE AN IMAGE..use macriun reflect free...there is a valuable post "disk images' talking about it.

Well this is the cleanest inside computer I've seen in a long time no real dust. Remove battery, checked all cables. NO luck.

Same Same, don't forget he clicked on a link in a bad email and it took over the computer.

IF your hard drive is SATA...try to change ports and then check bios to boot from the right port [HARD DRIVE]

I have no idea how to change ports

I have to order disc from HP as he did not make recovery discs. I hope that will work I don't no what damage was done.

I wish people would read and people who sell computers stress this. I really wish that all Brands of computers do what they used to do and make it part of the computer you purchase how damn cheap can you be, what add and extra 10 to the price, so people who just buy set up and turn on they feel they are good to go and have no clue they are suppose to make recovery discs.

Hi, Dutch. Did'ja get it fixed yet? :D

No I don't have the HP disc did the bios to default without luck went to screen which says " Disk boot failu

What does that sentence mean?

If you can get it to boot from the CD drive (or a USB drive) you can maybe save the data.

I have an HP (Compaq) desktop also. On it, you press "escape" before the Windows XP screen appears to bring up the boot menu. That allows to use the up and down arrows to select which medium to boot: CD, HD, or USB drive.

Here is something I have done to save data from a hard drive.

Takes a long time, might not be worth it if no valuable data is at risk.

Download a SLAX op. system .iso file from http://www.slax.org/. At the end of this post is a "build" I have used.

Put it onto a CD, or a USB flash drive. CD is better, my opinion, for this.

Start the afflicted computer with the SLAX iso CD in the CD drive.

Press "Escape" (probably, maybe different on yours) when the bios beeps or before the HP logo appears.

Select the drive to boot from...probably the CD drive.

If you have more that 500 mb of RAM, SLAX will run faster when loaded into RAM

SLAX will start, takes a while. Once it is up, it is pretty easy to find "Storage Media"

SLAX will find all the drives, folders, etc on the computer. Drives will show up as as "Storage Media", may have wrong names but you will recognize the file names.

You can copy whatever you need to another hard drive or an external USB drive, then reinstall the op. system if need be.

Here is a "build" that fits onto a CD and has a lot of apps. Save you the trouble of wading thru all the stuff on the SLAX site.

edit: I am by no means a tekkie, but was driven to the above procedure by desperation. You might want to wait till some other members have read it and commented. :)

I would be interested to know how you fare. Good luck.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I was not able to get back on sooner as I was on vacation I was unable to repair the computer, discs where ordered but did not arrive before I had to leave. What ever took over his computer did a number on it. It does not boot from the disc, or usb port. it reads Disc boot failure. over and over. tried a recovery disc without luck. tried everything I knew without luck.

He is upset he had over 700 albums on his computer. Now he will have to start fresh. I told him to bring it in to a repair shop as it was beyond my abilities and I just did not have the info I needed to go further.

I've been restoring and helping people clean up speed up and help install virus protection to repair their computers for years. I've never never seen anything like this or heard of it. I spoke to many of my geek friends, and they all wanted to get their hands on his unit to see if they could repair. but I had to leave the unit as I was on vacation. I think he's going to just buy another unit and when he can get this repaired. Thanks for the input. That will teach him to no open up an email from unknown entities and then click on the links inside them. they are riddled with trojans and virus. stupid people that do this crap, he never used his computer to do online banking or credit cards he is old school that way.

thanks for the help

Sorry I was not able to get back on sooner as I was on vacation I was unable to repair the computer, discs where ordered but did not arrive before I had to leave. What ever took over his computer did a number on it. It does not boot from the disc, or usb port. it reads Disc boot failure. over and over. tried a recovery disc without luck. tried everything I knew without luck.

He is upset he had over 700 albums on his computer. Now he will have to start fresh. I told him to bring it in to a repair shop as it was beyond my abilities and I just did not have the info I needed to go further.

I've been restoring and helping people clean up speed up and help install virus protection to repair their computers for years. I've never never seen anything like this or heard of it. I spoke to many of my geek friends, and they all wanted to get their hands on his unit to see if they could repair. but I had to leave the unit as I was on vacation. I think he's going to just buy another unit and when he can get this repaired. Thanks for the input. That will teach him to no open up an email from unknown entities and then click on the links inside them. they are riddled with trojans and virus. stupid people that do this crap, he never used his computer to do online banking or credit cards he is old school that way.

thanks for the help

URGENT, URGENT, do not let him throw the HD away.

I have repaired / recovered many a HD's data etc. by using a IDE / SATA to USB cable Kit which also includes it's own power supply and power cable as in the standard white 5 pin IDE power plug (also the SATA power plug).

This allows you to connect / power up and inspect / recover the data from the HD that will not start. Once you have done this you can them also perform a low level format, you may be able to rescue the drive at the end of the day. My success rate with this $45.00 AUS Kit 4 years ago has seen me save 80% of my customers HD's and data.

PS: The brand on my unit is- Jentec Technology Co. LTD. model No. JTA0202Y They just call it a AC Adaptor. when I purchased it I just ordered a "IDE to USB powered Cable Kit". Hope this helps.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Tasgandy: "URGENT, URGENT, do not let him throw the HD away."

Second that, from a not very tekkie type. Might surprise you how much data is left on that old HD.

Also, would really be interested to find out how it eventually works out, if you find any data on the old HD, what the bug was, etc. Good luck.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.