Make your utilities Portable or Bootable

Bob A

I read somewhere that CCleaner was portable, but I didn't notice anything on Piriform's Homepage that would suggest a download option for portability. Did I miss it?

In my opinion, the more portable executable utilities that exist on a Flash Drive or CD/DVD the better; especially in cases where Windows won't boot up, and needs to be cleaned out.

This would also be a great idea for Anti-virus apps as well, so when that Malware has corrupted your system and prevents you from booting up to Windows, you can get the bugger(s) out of there.

Is there a portable CCleaner?

Thanx,

Bob

Just copy the program from your program files. LOOK AT THE ATTACHMENT

Please note: obviously 32 bit versions work with both 32 bit and 64 bit, BUT 64 bit only work with other 64 bit operating systems. Also the program file for Ccleaner, Recuva and Speccy maybe in a folder called program files (x86) if you have 64 bit.

post-34536-1263007910_thumb.jpg

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64 bit, Intel i7 CPU 920 2.67GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240, 1TB Hard Drive. Various OS's in Oracle VM VirtualBox.

Just copy the program from your program files. LOOK AT THE ATTACHMENT

Please note: obviously 32 bit versions work with both 32 bit and 64 bit, BUT 64 bit only work with other 64 bit operating systems. Also the program file for Ccleaner, Recuva and Speccy maybe in a folder called program files (x86) if you have 64 bit.

Thanks Elliot. I did as you suggested with CCleaner, but there were only 2 files instead of 3 files used on your Defraggler example. I guess your defraggler was a 64 bit version; thus the extra file. Anyway, the ccleaner.exe file launched the app successfully from the Jump Drive. I expected it not to work, because as far as I know, programs need their own DLL file or ashared DLL to function in windows. Is it possible that it will only work on my computer, because I already have CCleaner installed on my boot drive? Thanks! I appreciate the help. :rolleyes:

The program/s worked fine from a flash drive on my other pc which is on xp not vista. I suppose it depends on OS and permission level; but otherwise it should work. The program or programs usually add registry keys themselves.

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64 bit, Intel i7 CPU 920 2.67GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240, 1TB Hard Drive. Various OS's in Oracle VM VirtualBox.

Yep ... http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds (... get there from the 'Other builds' link on the CCleaner downloads page)

OK, CCleaner installed itself exclusively from the Flash Drive from the Other Builds download file; complete with it's own DLL and DAT files on the Flash drive.

So, both methods work, but I feel safer with the DLL and DAT files on the portable Key.

Thanks!

@Elliot53: There are also U3 and slim 'no toolbar' versions on that download page. I'm curious as to why you recommended moving files from a normal installation when there are specific portable versions available for download.

@Elliot53: There are also U3 and slim 'no toolbar' versions on that download page. I'm curious as to why you recommended moving files from a normal installation when there are specific portable versions available for download.

First, marmite, I never said move the files, I said copy. Second, this is my preferred way of doing it; I am aware of the other builds though. I find this easier, as when you update your standard version, you don't need to download a second version especially for your external drive, you just copy the files as said earlier.

Of course you or the other users may chose to download the "Other Builds"; personal preference. Also there is no/little difference with either methods; aside from the memory usage of course.

Is CCleaner designed to run on Bootable Live Windows CD?? I suspect that it will only process the host OS and not the target OS which isn't running.

Richard S.

Rich, I haven't found any mention on Periform of CCleaner being Bootable; simply portable and executable from an external medium, while Windows is running.

I have found some info on bootable tools, some using a linux image on a CD/DVD which boots you to a DOS type window. Some with an update feature to specific files on the CD-RW rescue CD. That way, you wouldn't have to keep burning a new CD each time there were new updates.

Here is one reference I've found. This one, I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to post

http://www.articlesbase.com/security-artic...-cd-380611.html

If this procedure can be used to make CCleaner bootable, I dunno, but you may glean something from it.

You may want to do a Google search on "bootable rescue CD" (no quotes).

I never said move the files, I said copy.

You did. Usually I'd have been attentive enough to differentiate, but I was thinking 'copy' when I asked the question.

The U3 build is of course quite different in it's deployment configuration. I'd like to know how many people actually use U3 (generically; not particularly CCleaner).