Norton Internet Security

Glenn

Does anyone know if the logs in Norton Internet Security 2004 are self-clearing?

"Connections" and "Web History" seem to show only the activity since the most recent boot, but "Firewall" and "System" seem to store several days. Is what you see all that there is?

Is there a safe and easy way to have CCleaner (v1.23) selectively clear event categories?

• 2 weeks later...

I tried using a winapp2.ini but it doesn't work.

It adds the application to CCleaner but doesn't find the specified files when I hit Analyze.

To test my syntax, I created a TEST.TXT target file in the same folder and added it to the same winapp2.ini entry. It was found by Analyze and then cleaned without any problem.

Any suggestions are welcome.

My entry was:

; Application Cleaning file

;

; Notes

; ---------------------------------------

; LangSecRef

; 3021 = Applications

; 3022 = Internet

; 3023 = Multimedia

; 3024 = Utilities

; 3025 = Windows

[Norton Internet Security]

LangSecRef=3024

Detect=HKCU\Software\Symantec\Internet Security

Default=False

FileKey1=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Symantec\Common Client|Privacy.log

FileKey2=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Symantec\Common Client|WebHist.log

FileKey3=%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Symantec Shared|SNDCON.log

When I added:

FileKey4 =%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Symantec Shared|TEST.txt

to clean the dummy file I created, it was the only one detected and cleaned.

I loaded v1.24 and tried Custom > Files.

Same result. Anaylze doesn't even see the Norton files but if I put dummy ZZZ.log files in both folders and target them, they are found and cleaned with no problem.

I suspect that this is not a bug in CCleaner, but that the Norton log files are somehow protected.

It's probably not worth the trouble ... I can just clear the logs through the Norton control panel.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to close Norton. You can disable various aspects of security (which didn't help) but it's not a single app. There appear to be about a dozen processes which I'd have to end using Task Manager. One or more of these appears to be tying up the logs.

I'm going to hold off on this because of another issue. I'm soliciting input on another security software in the Software forum.

Thanks!

• Moderators
There doesn't seem to be an easy way to close Norton.  You can disable various aspects of security (which didn't help) but it's not a single app.  There appear to be about a dozen processes which I'd have to end using Task Manager.  One or more of these appears to be tying up the logs.

I'm going to hold off on this because of another issue.  I'm soliciting input on another security software in the Software forum. 

Thanks!

I put links for a very special custom suite on you other post. B)