CCleaner 2.27 recurse too slow!

Manuel S.

Hello:

I tried CCleaner 2.27 recurse feature for cleaning specific files and it does detect whatever I want, but too slowly.

This is the winapp2.ini file:

[Cache Files (thumbs.db)]
Section=Others
Default=True
Filekey1=c:\.|thumbs.db|RECURSE

[Log Files (.log *log.txt log*.txt)]
Section=Others
Default=True
FileKey1=c:\.|*.log?|RECURSE
FileKey2=c:\.|*.log|RECURSE
FileKey3=c:\.|*log.txt|RECURSE
FileKey4=c:\.|log*.txt|RECURSE

[Error files (mscreate.dir chklist.ms .chk .err)]
Section=Others
Default=True
Filekey1=c:\.|mscreate.dir|RECURSE
FileKey2=c:\.|chklist.ms|RECURSE
FileKey3=c:\.|*.log?|RECURSE
FileKey4=c:\.|*.log|RECURSE
FileKey5=c:\.|*.chk|RECURSE
FileKey6=c:\.|*.err|RECURSE
FileKey7=c:\.|*.dmp|RECURSE

[backup files (.old .prv .bak) ]
Section=Others
Default=True
FileKey1=c:\.|*.old|RECURSE
FileKey2=c:\.|*.prv|RECURSE
FileKey3=c:\.|*.bak|RECURSE

[VisualStudio temp files (.pdb .nch .pch .ilk .aps)]
Section=Others
Default=True
FileKey1=c:\.|*.pdb|RECURSE
FileKey2=c:\.|*.nch|RECURSE
FileKey3=c:\.|*.pch|RECURSE
FileKey4=c:\.|*.ilk|RECURSE
FileKey5=c:\.|*.aps|RECURSE

[Temp files 1 (.temp .tmp .gid .diz ._detmp)]
Section=Others
Default=True
FileKey1=c:\.|*.temp|RECURSE
FileKey2=c:\.|*.tmp|RECURSE
FileKey3=c:\.|*.gid|RECURSE
FileKey4=c:\.|*.diz|RECURSE
FileKey5=c:\.|*._detmp|RECURSE

[Temp files 2 (.fts .ftg .sik .db$ .$db ._dd ._mp .wbk)]
Section=Others
Default=True
FileKey1=c:\.|*.fts|RECURSE
FileKey2=c:\.|*.ftg|RECURSE
FileKey3=c:\.|*.sik|RECURSE
FileKey4=c:\.|*.$db|RECURSE
FileKey5=c:\.|*.db$|RECURSE
FileKey6=c:\.|*._dd|RECURSE
FileKey7=c:\.|*._mp|RECURSE
FileKey8=c:\.|*.~mp|RECURSE
FileKey9=c:\.|*.wbk|RECURSE

[Temp files 3 (.$$$ .--- .___  ~*.* .~*)]
Section=Others
Default=True
FileKey1=c:\.|*.$$$|RECURSE
FileKey2=c:\.|*.---|RECURSE
FileKey3=c:\.|*.___|RECURSE
FileKey4=c:\.|~*.*|RECURSE
FileKey5=c:\.|*.~*|RECURSE
FileKey6=c:\.|*.??$|RECURSE
FileKey7=c:\.|*.?$?|RECURSE
FileKey8=c:\.|*.??~|RECURSE
FileKey9=c:\.|*.?~?|RECURSE
FileKey10=c:\.|*.^|RECURSE

Now, since it was working too slowly I tried focusing only on thumbs.db (I disabled all other options from my rules and CCleaner own rules).

These are the results:

Files Existing: Windows Search: WiseDiskCleaner 4.31 Free:  CCleaner 2.27.1070:
Program Files:   30 instances      30 instances              30 instances
Docs & settings:  3 instances       3 instances               3 instances
Root:             1 instance        1 instance                1 instance
Windows Folder:   2 instances      Not Detected/Bug           2 instances      
Zip:              8 instances      Not Detected/OK           Not Detected/OK
Trash:            6 instances      Not Detected/OK           Not Detected/OK
TIME:             65 sec           53 sec                    1359 sec (22:39)

System Information:
WinXP Home SP3
Intel T2300 @1.66GHz
1.0 GB Ram
100 GB HD (36 GB used)

If I knew how CCleaner searches inside folders I would give some suggestions on how to speed up it.

Thanks!

• Moderators

I've found that with that version of CCleaner you really need to completely abandon using winapp2.ini if you want CCleaner to operate at a fast enough speed. I don't know what they did to it however if forced me to go back to where I started and that's using a batch file to delete all sorts of crap recursively.

Hey Friends!

I really appreciate the work of CCleaner developers, and I understand that we all programmers can make mistakes... but I wonder what they did to CCleaner for making it that slow! Some years ago I developed an application that scanned any hard disk and wrote all found files to an xls file (using VB6 and office objects), and didn't work that slowly!

I think for VC++ using MFC, CFileFind class would help.

I hope some day CCleaner will be as fast as used to be, but with the current features....

I am fascinated by "Intel T2300 @166GHz"

Looks like it is being over-clocked by a factor of 100 :P

Alan

Oh! Sorry! I missed the dot. :blink:

But anyway, it would have lasted too much compared with WinXP search or Wise Disk cleaner. :angry:

If I run CCleaner with my full winapp2.ini, it takes like 10 hrs.

Updated 1/5/2010

Removed download link

I removed the download link for winapp2.ini due to the size of the file, it was affecting CCleaner's performance. winapp2.ini will still be around but you will need to manual add entries now. Also, I will be updating it again. I accidentally deleted my messages which had alot of new entries, so please send me any new entries you may have.

If I run CCleaner with my full winapp2.ini, it takes like 10 hrs.

That could be the problem, see post no. 2 in :-

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1110

Last year I included "full winapp2.ini" and was appalled by the extra time taken for CCleaner to complete its launch and prepare for my commands.

It may have taken longer for the actual cleaning, but since cleaning duration is affected by how much needs zapping I never noticed for the two occasions that I used it.

After a couple of launches I removed 95% because much of it applied to applications I have never and will never use,

and then I invented a couple of extra items for purging stuff that irritates me.

My greatly streamlined winapp2.ini possibly adds half a second to CCleaner start-up.

That I can live with.

Alan

That could be the problem, see post no. 2 in :-

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=1110

Last year I included "full winapp2.ini" and was appalled by the extra time taken for CCleaner to complete its launch and prepare for my commands.

It may have taken longer for the actual cleaning, but since cleaning duration is affected by how much needs zapping I never noticed for the two occasions that I used it.

After a couple of launches I removed 95% because much of it applied to applications I have never and will never use,

and then I invented a couple of extra items for purging stuff that irritates me.

My greatly streamlined winapp2.ini possibly adds half a second to CCleaner start-up.

That I can live with.

Alan

Hey Alan_B:

I tried reducing at the minimum my winapp2.ini, in order to prove your theory, and I can not explain what happened: by removing 44 of 45 entries, time was reduced from 10 hrs to 26 min (found 36 files), which is still too much, and inadmissible if I compare it to your performance. Here is the ultra-reduced winapp2.ini:

Section=Others
Default=True

I run CCleaner with ALL options disabled except this one. Still I insist, something must be wrong with the algorithm in CCleaner. Wise disk cleaner searches for all files of my 45 entries in a couple of minutes.

Thanks...

• Moderators
Section=Others
Default=True

I run CCleaner with ALL options disabled except this one.

If I were you I'd use something else to deal with thumbs.db files. And searching the whole system partition for them would slow down CCleaner anyways, even older versions that didn't have the super slow recurse issues.

If I were you I'd use something else to deal with thumbs.db files. And searching the whole system partition for them would slow down CCleaner anyways, even older versions that didn't have the super slow recurse issues.

I agree with Andavari. Searching recursively from the root directory takes a long time. Depending on the number of files and folders on your drive it may take several minutes.

The only reason why it takes even longer since the latest version is that now the recursive search really works. Before v2.27 the search was simply not done (properly).

Anyway, why it takes longer than the Windows search I cannot tell.

OK, I have 2 points against:

1- Thumbs.db is only one example. I have many others that are annoying: *.pdb, *.nch, *.pch, *.ilk, *.gid, *.diz. I would expect a cleaner to delete all this trash. Wise Disk Cleaner does. I would not like to have one solution for every junk file.

2- Searching the whole file system: Why can windows search and wise disk cleaner do it so quickly, but CCleaner can not? I think the problem is the search algorithm. If I knew what CCleaner does exactly I could give a suggestion, or change my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, We'll look into this.

Thanks very much, version 2.28.1091 works GREAT!!!!

Now, may I suggest that when listing found junk files we could select which ones should be excluded from deletion?

Rules could include useful files, for example, some unistallers have the "great" idea of naming its unistall info "unistall.log". If this file is deleted, uninstaller won't work!