When will Recuva be able to restore .wtv files?

jk_nh

I just tried Recuva v1.33.451 in an attempt to recover a deleted .wtv file. Recuva failed to find it.

This .wtv file is a recorded TV file for Media Center and its size was 8Gb.

I deleted the file using SHIFT+DELETE and then realized the mistake. The good news is that this file was on an external USB HDD using NTFS and I haven't made any changes to the HDD since the indicdent. So I'm assuming the data still exists. However, I'm unfamiliar with the behaviors of Vista64 and its actions on .wtv files.

After using Recuva 1.33, the only file that your program found was an unrecognizable .sf file that is 8.5Mb.

1. Do you know what this smaller .sf file is?

2. Is there a filesize limit to Recuva?

3. I'm wondering if it is possible to recover .wtv files which are an encrypted format.

4. I'm wondering if .wtv is really a metafile which references multiple files (streams). This implies that several files are related to one another and that they all need to be recovered in order for the main reference file to become viewable and usable to the user.

Lastly, I'm wondering if someone at Piriform has been able to successfully recover a "permanently deleted" .wtv file (>7Gb - 1 hour show in HiDef)?

• 2 weeks later...
I just tried Recuva v1.33.451 in an attempt to recover a deleted .wtv file. Recuva failed to find it.

This .wtv file is a recorded TV file for Media Center and its size was 8Gb.

I deleted the file using SHIFT+DELETE and then realized the mistake. The good news is that this file was on an external USB HDD using NTFS and I haven't made any changes to the HDD since the indicdent. So I'm assuming the data still exists. However, I'm unfamiliar with the behaviors of Vista64 and its actions on .wtv files.

After using Recuva 1.33, the only file that your program found was an unrecognizable .sf file that is 8.5Mb.

1. Do you know what this smaller .sf file is?

2. Is there a filesize limit to Recuva?

3. I'm wondering if it is possible to recover .wtv files which are an encrypted format.

4. I'm wondering if .wtv is really a metafile which references multiple files (streams). This implies that several files are related to one another and that they all need to be recovered in order for the main reference file to become viewable and usable to the user.

Lastly, I'm wondering if someone at Piriform has been able to successfully recover a "permanently deleted" .wtv file (>7Gb - 1 hour show in HiDef)?

If you have system restore enable in Vista, you may be able to sys restore the connected drive + windows back to the date you know you had that file.

Additionally, Handy Recovery is a very good undelete program capable of recovering data from lost/RAW partitions, resized/deleted partitions, password protected user accounts. It CANNOT recover files that have been secure wiped, but it is well worth the $$$. Trust me, I know!

Hope this helps!