PC keeps reverting back to v2.11.626

sbogorman

I have (correctly) installed and reinstalled v2.26 et cetera a half dozen times, but each time I restart my pc, I'm back to this particular old version (v2.11.626). FWIW, I'm running Windows XP sp3.

Also FWIW, after I install v2.26 each time I run a scan and get rid of a bunch of gunk, so while I have it (that is, until I turn off my pc) it works great. It just won't "stick."

Thanks much for any advice,

sbogorman

• Moderators

Hi sbogorman, and welcome to Piriform.

It actually sounds as if you have a "virtual" environment like Returnil running, which means that anything you do on the System Drive while it's running, is deleted/removed on reboot.

Installing something like Returnil puts it into a computers Startup by default I think, which means it's up and running immediately you boot up.

Is that a possibility?

Hi sbogorman, and welcome to Piriform.

It actually sounds as if you have a "virtual" environment like Returnil running, which means that anything you do on the System Drive while it's running, is deleted/removed on reboot.

Installing something like Returnil puts it into a computers Startup by default I think, which means it's up and running immediately you boot up.

Is that a possibility?

DennisD,

Thanks very much for the welcome and the advice.

I have never knowingly installed anything like you describe, let alone even heard of Returnil. I've been using this pc for years (yeah, yeah, DUH, given my operating system) and I've never had a problem like this before with other free, reliable and mainstream security software. I cannot honestly say I am absolutely CERTAIN, but I only noticed this when I tried to update to 2.26. In other words, I believe I previously used versions in-between without this problem.

THREE THINGS that might be important:

1. I recently switched from dial-up (Earthlink) to cable (Comcast) access.

2. I recently switched to Mozilla Firefox as a browser and, because it's my home machine and I use it mostly for basic stuff (local weather forecasts, personal e-mail, shopping) I do use My Yahoo as a homepage from which I surf.

3. The CCleaner directs me through the update installation process using Internet Explorer, which otherwise I do not use.

Could any/all of the above be the problem?

Thanks again,

sbogorman

Welcome to Piriform sbogorman.

But where are you downloading CC from?

I wouldn't trust any site apart from www.CCleaner.com or www.FileHippo.com.

Desktop

WinXP SP3

IE 7.0

Laptop

Vista Home Premium SP2

IE 8.0

• Moderators

To be truthful, I'm puzzled at the moment why the new install disappears when you re-boot.

First of all, you don't have to use IE to download CCleaner. If Firefox is your browser of choice, then I would use it for everything apart from the sites where you have to use IE such as Windows Update.

Sites will tell you if they're IE only access.

Second. I would suggest you uninstall the the older version of CCleaner using Add/Remove programs, but before you do that, if you have any settings such as Includes/Excludes, or a list of cookies you keep in Options\Cookies, then go "CCleaner\Advanced" and check the "Save all settings to INI file" box.

Then go into "C:\Program Files\CCleaner" and copy the "CCleaner.ini" file to another location, maybe your desktop, but anywhere really where you'll find it again.

After doing that, delete any copy of the latest version Installer in case there's a problem with it, and go to FileHippo, select "Download Latest Version", and save it to your desktop.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

Run the installer, and then check to see if that version is now in "Program Files\CCleaner". Just mouse-over the CCleaner.exe file and it will display the version number, which should be 2.26.0.1050. The exe file shows an extra 0 for some reason.

You can copy the CCleaner.ini file back to the CCleaner folder now to replace your settings.

Now reboot and see if it stays where it should.

You probably do all the stuff I've just explained, so apologies for that, but if I'm sure you have actually followed what is normal procedure, and the same thing happens, then we'll have to start scratching our heads for some other angle.

Welcome to Piriform sbogorman.

But where are you downloading CC from?

I wouldn't trust any site apart from www.CCleaner.com or www.FileHippo.com.

Keno69,

For my home pc, my wife's home pc, and my work pc, I have always downloaded CCLeaner from ccleaner.com. No problems with the other machines, and as I wrote above, I believe no problems with this particular machine until recently.

sbogorman

To be truthful, I'm puzzled at the moment why the new install disappears when you re-boot.

First of all, you don't have to use IE to download CCleaner. If Firefox is your browser of choice, then I would use it for everything apart from the sites where you have to use IE such as Windows Update.

Sites will tell you if they're IE only access.

Second. I would suggest you uninstall the the older version of CCleaner using Add/Remove programs, but before you do that, if you have any settings such as Includes/Excludes, or a list of cookies you keep in Options\Cookies, then go "CCleaner\Advanced" and check the "Save all settings to INI file" box.

Then go into "C:\Program Files\CCleaner" and copy the "CCleaner.ini" file to another location, maybe your desktop, but anywhere really where you'll find it again.

After doing that, delete any copy of the latest version Installer in case there's a problem with it, and go to FileHippo, select "Download Latest Version", and save it to your desktop.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

Run the installer, and then check to see if that version is now in "Program Files\CCleaner". Just mouse-over the CCleaner.exe file and it will display the version number, which should be 2.26.0.1050. The exe file shows an extra 0 for some reason.

You can copy the CCleaner.ini file back to the CCleaner folder now to replace your settings.

Now reboot and see if it stays where it should.

You probably do all the stuff I've just explained, so apologies for that, but if I'm sure you have actually followed what is normal procedure, and the same thing happens, then we'll have to start scratching our heads for some other angle.

DennisD,

Thanks for the detailed advice! At the moment I'm away from home and that machine, but I will try what you suggest tomorrow and post back.

And of course in the meantime, if anyone has a spontaneous spark of insight, well, I always welcome insight!

Thanks very much once again,

sbogorman