Registry Cleaner icon

Smirnoff

I think CC is an excellent programme and often recommend it to newbies (or anybody else for that matter) as an easy way to clear temp files etc. Also, the cookie manager facility is very handy.

However, I always warn them: DO NOT USE THE REGISTRY CLEANER option.

I think we all know that messing with the registry CAN be a nightmare, even for advanced users.

The Registry icon is just a bit TOO handy and I'm sure that many people (mostly newbies but not exclusively) come unstuck using it.

Would it not be a good idea to have the Registry option accessed by an "Advanced Users Only" button?

I know that genuinely advanced users would find this inconvenient but it would only be one extra click away. And, you don't clean out registry entries every day!

It would also take out the "fear" factor that many people may have when looking at the interface.

Just a thought.

• Moderators

I don't think it would matter if it were nestled deep under some other "advanced" button or not, it would be found.

I think your idea would be better implemented if CC was to hide the Registry button and could only be activated by going into 'Options->Advanced' with something like "Enable Registry Cleaner," which in of itself would possibly have a horde of forum posts complaining about "it doesn't have the registry cleaner in it that the features list promised," then we would have to tell them how to activate it - sounds like more work.

I think the best thing would be to offer mouse-over help on the large buttons on the left, with a little snippet of what they do, and registry backups should always be saved by default - of course then CC would need some registry backup facility built in to import and delete old .reg backups like just about every other system cleaning tool has that includes a registry cleaner.

I don't think it would matter if it were nestled deep under some other "advanced" button or not, it would be found.

I think your idea would be better implemented if CC was to hide the Registry button and could only be activated by going into 'Options->Advanced' with something like "Enable Registry Cleaner," which in of itself would possibly have a horde of forum posts complaining about "it doesn't have the registry cleaner in it that the features list promised," then we would have to tell them how to activate it - sounds like more work.

I think the best thing would be to offer mouse-over help on the large buttons on the left, with a little snippet of what they do, and registry backups should always be saved by default - of course then CC would need some registry backup facility built in to import and delete old .reg backups like just about every other system cleaning tool has that includes a registry cleaner.

I agree "it would be found" but normally by people who want to use it, rather than by newbies who don't know what they're doing.

Another suggestion would be to place the icon at the bottom of the left icon column with the "Advanced users only" health warning added. This would cover any "features list" problems and newbies would tend to avoid it.

I don't think a default automatic registry back up is necessary (much too complicated and would bloat the programme) BUT "Show prompt to back up registry issues" in Options>Advanced, should definitely be the default (why the hell is it an option?).

Which brings me to the point, in Options>Advanced there IS a health warning ("For advanced users only").

Apart from "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours" and "Show prompt to back up registry issues" (which should be a default anyway) messing with the settings (Minimise to system tray, Hide warning messages etc. - advanced user stuff?) would hardly compromise your computer.

However, fiddling with the Registry carries no warnings at all.

I agree with Andavari. Where ever it is it would be found. I think possible a warning the first time its UI is in focus that lets the user know of the dangers of using the registry tool.

Tbh every time i have witnessed a new user on here mentioning the registry scan they have always shown caution to using it.

No fate but what we make

I agree with Andavari. Where ever it is it would be found. I think possible a warning the first time its UI is in focus that lets the user know of the dangers of using the registry tool.

Tbh every time i have witnessed a new user on here mentioning the registry scan they have always shown caution to using it.

As you can see from my second post, I'm not adamant about hiding it. My second suggestion was to have it placed at the bottom of the icon list, say, just above Online Help.

If it could be labelled Registry (Advanced Users), total newbies would be even more cautious and possibly be more inclined to seek advice before using it. Experienced users would just access it in the normal way.

I still think CC is an excellent programme but it makes me wince at how easy it is for inexperienced people to delete stuff from the registry.

I like the registry cleaner button where it is.

post-23766-1260295350_thumb.jpg

Another idea is to have a warning pop-up box appear when the registry button is clicked.

post-23766-1260295480_thumb.jpg

As shown, the pop-up could include a box to click to cancel re-appearances.

As an aside, I can't help but wonder: Out of all the many, many users of CCleaner, what percentage have ever had problems using the registry cleaner? We don't have the statistics to calculate that. But I'm unaware of anyone I know who has had an issue with it. In saying this, I'm not trying to minimize the aggravation those who have had trouble with this feature must have experienced. But I am trying to keep it in perspective.

Another idea is to have a warning pop-up box appear when the registry button is clicked.

This is what i suggested above. Then it would be down to the user to pay attention. If they dont then its tough really.

No fate but what we make

As an aside, I can't help but wonder: Out of all the many, many users of CCleaner, what percentage have ever had problems using the registry cleaner? We don't have the statistics to calculate that. But I'm unaware of anyone I know who has had an issue with it. In saying this, I'm not trying to minimize the aggravation those who have had trouble with this feature must have experienced. But I am trying to keep it in perspective.

I don't know the amount of people who may have had trouble using the registry cleaner either. All I want to do is give some indication that it is not just another clean-up tool. Let's face it, it isn't like just cleaning out Temp files. It CAN cause real damage if you don't know what you're doing

I would be happy with your suggestion, at least it would make people think twice.

I'm not on some crusade to have the registry cleaner banished from the face of the Earth.

• Moderators

While CCleaner has the safest registry cleaner I've ever used I still think backups should be forced, not even an option to turn it off. And those .REG backups are super small anyways, but if it were to be forced I'd also want CCleaner to have the ability to manage the backups to be able to import .REG backups and delete no longer needed .REG backups.

I truly believe a .REG management feature is a critically overlooked and needed feature for the program, and would make it more complete/whole.

True that we don't have any statistics of how many people the reg cleaner caused problems for, however I do have many exclusions entered into on my system of keys that I definitely think should never be messed with.

While CCleaner has the safest registry cleaner I've ever used I still think backups should be forced, not even an option to turn it off. And those .REG backups are super small anyways, but if it were to be forced I'd also want CCleaner to have the ability to manage the backups to be able to import .REG backups and delete no longer needed .REG backups.

I truly believe a .REG management feature is a critically overlooked and needed feature for the program, and would make it more complete/whole.

True that we don't have any statistics of how many people the reg cleaner caused problems for, however I do have many exclusions entered into on my system of keys that I definitely think should never be messed with.

Anything that makes registry editing safer is a good idea.

If there could be some type of Registry Backup Manager within the programme without bloating it, fine. I'm all for it.

At the very least though, when deleting from the registry, you should not be asked "Do you want to save a backup?" but "WHERE do you want to save the back up?". It only takes two clicks to restore it.

I def agree with a reg back up manager. But not to sure with the being forced. Only because i use ERUNT

No fate but what we make

I def agree with a reg back up manager. But not to sure with the being forced. Only because i use ERUNT. So i dont need to make any more back ups. But then again as long as ccleaner would auto delete old backups it wouldnt bother me having it forced as like you say they are only small.

I personally would love to see ccleaner take on a erunt approach on startup.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators
I def agree with a reg back up manager. But not to sure with the being forced. Only because i use ERUNT.

What I'm implying wouldn't even be near ERUNT. I'd just like CCleaner to backup the registry entries it deletes to standard .REG files - all 100% automatically of course without all the prompting.

• 2 weeks later...

( I like the registry cleaner button where it is. )

Yes so do i, but i do think most of you are scared of using it.

This is the Area that has the most thing that slow you down. ( Unwanted Data )

I have been using it ever since i used the CClean and have NOT had one problem.

Thats not to say that one day you/ we might get a problem.

But if you are using a 2cd HDD as a back-up then you can always call it back with that.

And for any one who is not Backing up there PC i would strongly advice you to do it.

More than enough good Programs out there.

• Moderators

Coincidentally I've just mentioned in another thread that half the problem is people don't take the trouble to read ANY of the CCleaner documentation on the Piriform Documents site.

http://docs.piriform.com/

I think the small "Online Help" link doesn't really do it in encouraging people to read up on CCleaner before bashing away "cleaning" and "fixing"everything.

A strong recommendation to do this first should be very clear, and in a prominent position on the GUI.

Whichever way you serve up the "Issues" section, people will go ahead and use it. More important I think to try and steer them to the CCleaner Guide for a little education beforehand.