Help! I really messed up!

motley

I have used CCleaner on quite a few com0puters and probably have picked up bad habits because it always works so well.

Until Now. And it is someone else's computer!

I ran the registry icon and automatically pressed fix 169 problems. And it fixed them alright. I did do a backup file but don't know how to even use.

I restarted the computer and get the wonderful windows screen saying failed to start up and to pick last known good config or start normal (you know the screen).

I tried last known good config.

got same screen.

tried safe mode.

got same screen.

I am panicking.

What did I do?????

Help!!!!

Thank you so much.

Signed: A computer illiterate who should know more about what she is doing!

• Moderators

Hi motely, and welcome to Piriform.

Get into Safe Mode if you can. I'm not certain by your comments that you can or can't do that.

If you can do that, you can then look for the registry backup which by default is saved in "My Documents". It will look like this:

cc_20090112_030538.reg

It may not be showing the .reg extension. All you do is double click it to merge it back into the registry. Assuming this is the problem, that may fix it.

You can also try a System Restore in safe mode.

Post back if you need more advice.

(Edited slightly.)

I have used CCleaner on quite a few com0puters and probably have picked up bad habits because it always works so well.

Until Now. And it is someone else's computer!

I ran the registry icon and automatically pressed fix 169 problems. And it fixed them alright. I did do a backup file but don't know how to even use.

I restarted the computer and get the wonderful windows screen saying failed to start up and to pick last known good config or start normal (you know the screen).

I tried last known good config.

got same screen.

tried safe mode.

got same screen.

I am panicking.

What did I do?????

Help!!!!

Thank you so much.

Signed: A computer illiterate who should know more about what she is doing!

Can't even get into safe mode! Can't get anywhere with safe mode with command prompt either. No options work. Really have done it, huh?

Pretty sure my daughter has discs. Will try when she comes home and hope she stays calm. All her college work is on it and I don't think she flash drived any of her work this week.

I will do what you say and get back. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators

If you're using Windows XP try these Microsoft instructions which I know first hand work!

You'll however have to use a System Restore Point afterwords to get the actual user registry back, otherwise it won't work as intended. Those Microsoft instructions only take a few minutes to accomplish and you'll be up and running.

I went and previewed the link while waiting for the disk. It is a bit overwhelming in the warning department. I am not sure where exactly to start but will keep reading/digesting. Will keep you posted. Thank you.

OK, Step by step.

First get back in

then system restore

then find the ccleaner registry backup

Do I have that right?

If you're using Windows XP try these Microsoft instructions which I know first hand work!

You'll however have to use a System Restore Point afterwords to get the actual user registry back, otherwise it won't work as intended. Those Microsoft instructions only take a few minutes to accomplish and you'll be up and running.

Does this apply to me? How do I know if OEM?

Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

And I know their is the "C" on my computer and then there is the "HP Backup"

Does this have any bearing on what steps I take?

Hi

Just a thought before you risk losing everything.

When I had a computer seriously damaged, (not bootable) by a virus, I needed to save some documents before I did a clean install.

It is possible to boot from a CD if you have a bootable operating system.

I used a LINUX distribution, KNOPPIX.

I had a KNOPPIX disk that allowed me to boot, and search the drive for files. Save the files to an alternate drive such as a USB thumb drive. Or do what I did and save to an old ZIP drive.

If you have another computer available you can download a Linux Distro.

I am sure there are people more knowledgeable than me on this forum that could give you sound advice on how to do this.

I have found Ubuntu to be an easy Linux system to use. I keep a disk around just in case...

I used it when my HDD died.

Here is a list of various distros:

http://www.livecdlist.com/

And I know their is the "C" on my computer and then there is the "HP Backup"

Does this have any bearing on what steps I take?

Great. Looked at the list.....which for Windows XP?

(I did try to to press the key for reboot when came up but no success. Just got back to the wonderful "unsuccessful windows start up verbage)

Thanks.

• Moderators

Try the stuff posted by hazel first, as long as you have or can get the windows CD's.

Reading your posts above you have a couple of possible options if you can get into that PC with a rescue CD.

The drive where the reg backup will be is the C: drive. The other one, "HP Backup" is a backup copy of the Operating System of that PC. It's for reinstalling windows if you screw things up. It's the same as having Windows CD's.

The only trouble about using it, is it puts the PC back to "Factory Condition". You would have to retrieve all personal data before running it. All music, photographs, personal documents etc.

Another option, Andavaris link, isn't as complicated as it looks. I repaired a neighbours PC using that method.

As long as the problem PC had System Restore running, it's a simple process of accessing "C:\System Volume Information", which is where System Restore files are kept, picking the last but one Restore point, and the navigate down to a folder called "Snapshot".

From that folder you copy the following files to another location:

_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM

_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

Once copied to another location, you rename them as follows:

SECURITY

SOFTWARE

SYSTEM

SAM

You would then navigate to "C:\Windows\System32\Config", and replace the similarly named files in there with these new ones.

These are the registry hives, and the only one probably corrupted is the "SYSTEM" file, which contains all the boot settings and configurations, but because the registry hives have a lot of interconnecting entries, you have to replace them all otherwise you could get other problems similar to the one you have.

If you have to go down this road, we can explain it step by step for you, but it really is pretty straightforward.

The pressing problem is getting into the computer.

If you can't get into that PC at all, there's another option to replace those files as long as you have access to another desktop PC.

Befor I start, does any of this help me? I can get onto a page:

Windows Advanced Options Menu

Please select an option:

Safe Mode

Safe Mode with Networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Loggin

Enable VGA Mode

Last Known Good Configuration

Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)

Debugging Mode

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Narmally

Reboot

Return to OS Choices Menu

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice

I TRIED the Safe Mode and got back to the infamous screen telling me can't open windows. I do ot know enough to press any of these new options

ALSO CAN GET TO THIS SCREEN:

PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility with tabs for Main, Security, System Configuration, Diagnostics, Exit

(Have not tried any of these tabs.

So, will this put me in a better or easier spot? Myy biggest goal is to safe files and stuff since HP sending new hard drive. My daughter requested someone that speaks American English and they just bypassed all diognostics. Last time they helped her on a diognostic problem she lost everything and it looked, in hindsight, that she did not need to.

Anyways. Thanks.

• Moderators

Hi motley.

From what you say above about getting the infamous screen over again, is I think as far as you'll get with any of those options.

I've experienced just that situation, and you're in a reboot loop.

I've a suggestion for you which will enable you to either fix the PC by replacing the 5 registry files as explained above, which honestly isn't very difficult if you take your time, or which will enable you to get all personal data off that PC.

I'm pm'ing you with a link to a rescue program I keep stored online. All you have to do is download it onto another PC, extract the single ISO file from the zip file it's in, and then burn it to CD using an "Image" burning software.

Two free ones are ImgBurn, and Ashampoo Burning Studio.

If you're gonna go ahead with this, I've gone through some of the rescue process with this program, and I'll guide you through it with photographs I took while doing it.

Apart from anything else, it would be an educational experience which you could use with any future mishaps. Hopefully that would never happen.

Let me know if you download the ISO and need any advice on burning it to a CD. It has to be burned as an Image, and not just copied. Quite easy.

• Moderators

OEM would mean the operating system was provided with your computer purchase and you didn't separately on your own buy the setup disc.

I have an OEM XP install disc, and those Microsoft instructions work with it.

Whatever the outcome is in the end I very highly recommend that you install ERUNT once the computer is up and running again.

Hi motley.

From what you say above about getting the infamous screen over again, is I think as far as you'll get with any of those options.

I've a suggestion for you which will enable you to either fix the PC by replacing the 5 registry files as explained above, which honestly isn't very difficult if you take your time, or which will enable you to get all personal data off that PC.

I'm pm'ing you with a link to a rescue program I keep stored online. All you have to do is download it onto another PC, extract the single ISO file from the zip file it's in, and then burn it to CD using an "Image" burning software.

If you're gonna go ahead with this, I've gone through some of the rescue process with this program, and I'll guide you through it with photographs I took while doing it.

Apart from anything else, it would be an educational experience which you could use with any future mishaps. Hopefully that would never happen.

Let me know if you download the ISO and need any advice on burning it to a CD. It has to be burned as an Image, and not just copied. Quite easy.

Wow! Thanks. That I will do. Only thing is I did not know what the your message box was and x-ed out of it....then went and read your message. I am going to log out and sign back in in a bit and see if you have placed that back up for me.

Hi motley.

Yeah.....A success!!!!!!!!!!!! I did the recovery disc. Took a couple of tries to get installed to burn. But once I had the cd made, I inserted it into the problem computer.

First I tried to get the files back. They were all listed but couldn't get any. So I clicked on start button and clicked tools button. Looked at my options and chose the most basic first. . . System Restore. And it worked like a charm. I was able to get everyting I needed. Tried to burn all the files to cd but couldn't do so got the flash drive and they transferred beautifully. And now we are ready to switch to the new harddrive hp sent.

I can't thank you enough; as well as those others that responded. Just addressing the plea for help, calms one down as they realize it may not really be a big deal; after all you made it seem like no biggie.

THANK YOU.

It is good to see you survived your mini disaster.

“The person that made no mistakes learns nothing.”

I have put a useful address at the bottom of this post for you.

Here is some helpful basic rules to keep you out of trouble in future :

NEVER NEVER delete files, programs or mails when tired because that is where 90% of PC accidents happen.

It can wait until the morning.

NEVER delete something if you do not know what it is ~ go learn about what that file or program does first to see if it is safe to remove.

NEVER assume that your CC settings will react the same on another persons system because all systems have not got the same settings or programs etc.

NEVER mess about with Reg cleaners or Reg fixers unless you know exactly what every file does that you want to delete and if the Reg program you are using works or can be trusted. Personally I do not know anybody that has trusted a Reg fix Program and there are many Reg software packages available. I use only CC on a limited basis for this operation.

NEVER run downloaded .exe files you do not know because they can be Viruses waiting for you to open them.

(The Virus lay dormant until it's .exe file is opened)

Again it cannot be stressed enough no matter how good you are with PC’s ~ NEVER NEVER NEVER delete files or programs or mail when tired because that is where 90% of PC Accidents Happen.

BE SAFE :

Always Read it Before you Delete it or install it

We all have hard lessons at some point and this time you got lucky. CC can do a lot of damage if you are not careful so read the help files at this site to see what all the options do.

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/ccleaner...-explorer-files

Hi motley.

I'm having the same problem. Could you post the link to the rescue program?

I'll pm you.

Dennis: I thought that evertything worked out so kool, that I would try the recovery disk in another computer that had similar issues but the owner (another dghtr) went and bought another computer instead.

I do't remember just what the issue was; just could not get on but not sure how far got on. Anyways, the computer takes the disc but then when the screen comes up to choose C:/WINDOWS or (none), I cannot move the the cursor to click on anything. Mouse does not work and it seems the keyboard does not either. Does this mean give it up? When the computer/laptop powers on, the scroll light flashes and so a light next to caps lock key (which is also above the expansion port 2). Probably out of luck but it was exciting to think, as the disk was loading, that I may have gotten a computer out of the deal!

Monkey: I have passed on the 90% of problems from deleting when tired to a bunch of people. Nice info.