Microsoft Security Essentials

kaybee

I used to use Avast! as my preferred anti-virus until MSE came along, when I uninstalled Avast! & subsequently installed MSE.

Overall I am pleased with it, but I have one niggle - occasionally, and for no apparent reason, on boot up of my laptop MSE shows as a red icon in the system tray and warns that I am not protected. When I open MSE and click on the 'Start' button nothing happens, although if I click on update it will not only update the definitions file but will also 'start' the application.

However, last night 'it' happened again and no amount of updating, or clicking 'start', would coax the icon to turn green. I restarted the laptop and everything was fine :huh:

My wife has a similar laptop with an almost identical set up to mine and has none of these problems with MSE :blink:

Any ideas/suggestions would be gratefully received! :unsure:

I used to use Avast! as my preferred anti-virus until MSE came along, when I uninstalled Avast! & subsequently installed MSE.

Overall I am pleased with it, but I have one niggle - occasionally, and for no apparent reason, on boot up of my laptop MSE shows as a red icon in the system tray and warns that I am not protected. When I open MSE and click on the 'Start' button nothing happens, although if I click on update it will not only update the definitions file but will also 'start' the application.

However, last night 'it' happened again and no amount of updating, or clicking 'start', would coax the icon to turn green. I restarted the laptop and everything was fine :huh:

My wife has a similar laptop with an almost identical set up to mine and has none of these problems with MSE :blink:

Any ideas/suggestions would be gratefully received! :unsure:

The exact same thing happens on my Vista Home Premo, SP1 laptop! I was really satisfied with Avira on it until the update issue started, which supposedly is resolved now. I went with Avast, which worked perfectly on my XP desktop, but it totally froze the laptop. I went through all the security apps I ever had on the laptop and cannot find any remnants so I don't know what it doesn't like. Have Online Armor and Mamutu just like on the XP machine. So that is why I'm now using MS SE. I was a six year customer of NOD32 on the desktop but with all the free choices, including frequent free licenses, I've gone free on it too. First Avast and now the free one year a-squared license. I feel like I'm playing anti-virus checkers or something!

• Moderators

The same thing happened to me on two computers with MSE installed several times within a 24 hour period. :( I ended up going right back to Avast after trying MSE though since I'm rather accustomed to having working resident protection that automatically starts itself.