Vista Shadow Copy

mr don

I wonder if you guys can add Vista shadow copy support to CCleaner? I have not yet tested Windows 7 to see if it causes the same problem, but I do know that System Restore & Shadow copies appear to be 2 separate things.

Any chance to add to CCleaner the option to remove the shadow copies just like you have support built in for System Restore Point control & removal?

It appears that many users report losing 30 GB or more, just to shadow copies, which, I believe, can happen while running Defraggler in Vista, in addition to other things. 30 GB, 50 GB, it is a LOT of wasted space. The average uninformed user just has no idea where it went!

Perhaps an option to disable Shadow Copy service (And reclaim free space?) or at least the ability to remove shadow copies!

Does anyone else here agree with me? Is shadow copy support (ability to control & remove 30 + GB garbage on Vista) important to anyone else here?

I've never seen 30GB's of shadow storage used on any Vista machine that I came across. Not unless a user changed the default or had an extrmely large drive to support that amount. Just like system restore Windows will remove the oldest shadow copy to make room for the new one. The max allocated size dosent grow (you'll see an entry in the event log).

Run VSSAdmin and adjust it up or down as you see fit.

I've never seen 30GB's of shadow storage used on any Vista machine that I came across. Not unless a user changed the default or had an extrmely large drive to support that amount. Just like system restore Windows will remove the oldest shadow copy to make room for the new one. The max allocated size dosent grow (you'll see an entry in the event log).

Run VSSAdmin and adjust it up or down as you see fit.

I am not saying that all people have this problem, or even most. But I have seen reports on the web & also on here indicating that some people do lose 30 GB or more due to windows creating volume shadow copies during a defrag.

It turns out that the solution has always been the Volume Shadow Copies.

Go to google & type in defrag lose free space to bring up links to see what I mean. I have also seen some computers where the search box on XP would not show up due to file corruption. What makes you think this is impossible to trigger/cause unintended things on Vista?

I have seen weird things on computers, & I work on a lot of them!

I dont doubt it. I seen strange things as well ;) So would this feature be a 'clean all' for each drive or list the shadow copy of every single file?

I would imagine that it could be listed right above or below the system restore button under tools.

Perform similarly to Sys Restore & allow users to select which ones they want to deleted or keep, while retaining the last copy just like it does with system restore...