Hard to find information

mr don

I would love the ability to easily see if you have:

- A 32 bit or 64 bit CPU

- A 32 bit or 64 bit OS

- The ability to return the string ID on unknown hardware that is installed (note: I have no unknown hardware at the moment, but I have worked on systems that do)

- Automatically add the detected cache for a processor to XP so it can perform better. It is known that XP does not use the correct cache size for a processor. This utility correctly identifies the CPU L1 & L2 cache sizes, so a lot of users would get a LOT of performance boost if this utility gave the option to auto correct the size for XP so XP will use the on-chip cache properly!

The ability to backup the 5 main drivers that can give you problems, particularly on older machines with no recovery disks or no way to get the drivers off the web anymore would be a great bonus!

- Audio

- Video

- Ethernet card

- Internet (dialup card)

- USB (some adapters are non-MS)

The ability to print or save the information would be very nice as well.

Additionally, DXDiag also shows the following info:

- Current display resolution/bitrate/HZ (Ex: 1440 X 900 / 32 bit / 60 htz)

- If your PC has more than 1 core (dual, quad core, etc)

- System model (Ex: HP dc7600 convertible minitower)

- Version of DX

MSinfo32 shows:

- Bios version

- SM Bios version

- System name

- System drives & partitions / file system type / free space

Yeah... finding the information isn't that bad... but it already says whether the OS is 64-bit or not :)

But adding the cache to XP and backing up kinda stuff will most probably be ignored because IMHO it is just a system information REPORT tool :)

And i would additionally love to see whether LightScribe is supported or not :D

Kinda stupid because you can see the label in the drive but when you are exporting, it would be nice to see :D

Yes and i agree with the CPU Architecture (32-bit or 64-bit)

And apart form that if there is a graphical representation on the RAM it would be great... at a glance we could see how many RAM slots are there, how many RAM slots are filled with RAMs (With what capacity) and which slots are free.... the text is too long to read and would most probably be cryptic for a non-tech...

Yeah... finding the information isn't that bad... but it already says whether the OS is 64-bit or not :)

But adding the cache to XP and backing up kinda stuff will most probably be ignored because IMHO it is just a system information REPORT tool :)

And i would additionally love to see whether LightScribe is supported or not :D

Kinda stupid because you can see the label in the drive but when you are exporting, it would be nice to see :D

Yes and i agree with the CPU Architecture (32-bit or 64-bit)

And apart form that if there is a graphical representation on the RAM it would be great... at a glance we could see how many RAM slots are there, how many RAM slots are filled with RAMs (With what capacity) and which slots are free.... the text is too long to read and would most probably be cryptic for a non-tech...

It would be nice, though... A lot of users have CPU with untapped onboard cache mem, dying to be used. The celeron processors are slower than P4 chips because they only have 512 kb onboard cache compared to 4 x larger on P4 machines with a 2 MB onchip cache.

If it makes that much difference, why let it go unused, especially on a dual core or quad core machine?

Imagine the performance boost in changing your machine from a celeron/netbook-like machine, to a number crunching zombie!

I would love the ability to easily see if you have:

- A 32 bit or 64 bit CPU

This is most asked question. Different reporting systems/apps show EMT64 or 64bit or something else that indicates potential 64bit support, but I have a system that shows 64bit in one app and 32bit in others. I would just like to make sure what OS I can load to take advantage of what the system has to offer.