Automatic Driver Update Program ?

Ronnie Jorgensen

Hi all,

We all know it. Drivers gets old and we have to try find new ones, but OEM manufactures dont update the drivers there. Then what ?

Does anyone know of a website that might not be free, but can scan your PC for hardware and drivers and then tell you what hardware you need new drivers for ? Something that is not a scam and does not send you malicious software.

Ronnie

http://www.drivermagician.com/ - U are sure this is not a scam site ? if you vote for it i will give it a try :D

Yeah it's definitely not a scam. Giveaway of the Day is a pretty reputable site...they wouldn't distribute adware/malware.

It even gives you the opportunity to save back-ups of your existing drivers if you want to easily roll back.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Not all drivers should be updated, these type of programs can quite often recommend many updates.

With drivers unless something is not working or you need some new functionality available in the new drivers they are best left alone.

The only drivers I update without thinking is Graphics card drivers, but even then I've frequently had to go back to old drivers to regain full stability.

I haven't tried this exact tool so can't give any direct comment on its usefulness.

Note: Giveawayoftheday is not infallible, they have accidentally given away junk/spyware before,

you should read the comments and do you own search before using the programs they offer.

fireryone

Don't update your drivers unless there's a problem.

I updated my Graphic card's drivers once... Windows could not boot anymore after doing that. :(

I know a website that finds drivers for you, but it's not completely translated in English : http://www.ma-config.com/en/home/ :)

Piriform French translator

• Moderators
Yeah it's definitely not a scam. Giveaway of the Day is a pretty reputable site...they wouldn't distribute adware/malware.

Actually they have recently, but unknowingly. See here.

Most drivers don't really need updated, or the last update for them is so old they're more-or-less discontinued which is especially a problem with OEM. I personally have never trusted those driver update programs, I've seen too many listings showing the absolute incorrect driver that would cause serious issues.

If it isn't broken, then don't fix it. I stay away from driver updates unless something isn't working right. Driver updates can be dangerous.

I agree with Icedrake 100% - couldn't have possibly stated it better!

Most drivers don't really need updated, or the last update for them is so old they're more-or-less discontinued which is especially a problem with OEM. I personally have never trusted those driver update programs, I've seen too many listings showing the absolute incorrect driver that would cause serious issues.

Agree with that having just been through the whole update driver followed by BSODs. Filehippo update checker has been telling me for ages there was a much newer gfx driver available (newest OEM one on the Dell site for my laptop is about 2 years old). So I decided to prepare for the consequences and give it a go, BSOD every time I started up. Won't be doing that again :rolleyes: