Wipe Free Space? You mean fill space!

nothnless

I have used the search tool for this forum and found a question that apparently cant be answered but I guess I'll try my luck anyway. I'm using Vista business 32 bit. I have a 500gb hard drive but after running Wipe Free Space, all of the space on the drive shows its used and wipe free is hung up at 100%. I use to think this was a great product but setting here thinking I will have to reinstall windows leads me to believe that it simply sucks azz. Can anyone help?

Wiping the free space overwrites it all with a series of 1's and 0's (or a blank file, or something else) because when you "delete" a file, its' just marked as useable space for the operation system. The reason that it says all your space is used is because its' at 100%, and is in the process of deleting the blank files it just wrote. I wouldn't recommend using your computer while free space is wiped, to be honest.

Wiping the free space overwrites it all with a series of 1's and 0's (or a blank file, or something else) because when you "delete" a file, its' just marked as useable space for the operation system. The reason that it says all your space is used is because its' at 100%, and is in the process of deleting the blank files it just wrote. I wouldn't recommend using your computer while free space is wiped, to be honest.

Okay cool but now I guess I have a bigger problem. I noticed how it went back and deleted the blank files after it was done. Unfortunately this was my second attempt. The first time I did the Wipe Free Space I canceled it after like 80% because it was taking so long. So when I did it again, it did not delete the blank files. My hard drive shows like 90% is used. How can I delete these blank files? can I do a defrag? can I do it manually some how? thanks in advance.

• Moderators

find and delete the files. They will be at the root of your system drive (usually c:\) and be a random string of characters

Use Shift+Delete as to not just send them to the recycle bin

(Insert Nergal's usual Gripe about WFS being a part of ccleaners)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

find and delete the files. They will be at the root of your system drive (usually c:\) and be a random string of characters

Use Shift+Delete as to not just send them to the recycle bin

(Insert Nergal's usual Gripe about WFS being a part of ccleaners)

It seems impossible to find. What folder do you think it will be in? Would it be in c:\windows? There is nothing in just c:\ but a list of my folders such as windows, users, program files etc.

wiping free space creates a temp file. If interupted for what ever reason this file will be left.

download and run http://windirstat.info/

It will show you the file thats taking up the memory.

Great app to be on your pc any way

No fate but what we make