2.25.1025 doesn't clear Firefox 3.5.5 cookies (cookies.sqlite file)

rjo98

CCleaner 2.25.1025 doesn't clear Firefox 3.5.5 cookies. When I run an Analyze it doesn't show any cookies need to be cleaned in Firefox, but when I open the cookies.sqlite file (located in Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\abcdefgh.default) with notepad, I see the cookies for all the sites I visited.

I have all the Firefox settings checked in CCleaner, so that's not it. For now I just manually deleted the cookies.sqlite file.

CCleaner 2.25.1025 doesn't clear Firefox 3.5.5 cookies. When I run an Analyze it doesn't show any cookies need to be cleaned in Firefox, but when I open the cookies.sqlite file (located in Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\abcdefgh.default) with notepad, I see the cookies for all the sites I visited.

I have all the Firefox settings checked in CCleaner, so that's not it. For now I just manually deleted the cookies.sqlite file.

Same problem since updating Firefox to 3.5.5 and CCleaner to 2.25.1025. What is actually happening is CCleaner is corrupting the file "cookies.sqlite" in the profile folder.

If you replace "cookies.sqlite" with a backup or just delete it the problem is fixed, but if you run CCleaner it corrputs the file again, very annoying.

• Moderators
Thanks for replying OverBurn. I'm surprised nobody from Piriform has chimed in yet, I know there's a few people who use Firefox in the world :-) Guess nobody else has noticed.

The devs have seen this thread :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi,

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to reproduce this problem.

Firefox must be closed for CCleaner to be able to clean cookies.

Firefox must be closed when you enter or Refresh CCleaner's Cookies screen.

What is the OS that you are using?

Was Firefox updated to 3.5.5 from a previous version?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks

I do run it when its closed. and probably have ran ccleaner when FF was open also, but usually it says it will skip the FF cleaning if its open, which is fine.

XP SP3 and yes, FF was updated from 3.0.x all the way to 3.5.5. I don't recall which incremental updates i've installed along the way to get to 3.5.5, but I do know I started with 3 as the major version.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

Thanks

I now believe the problem is created when CCleaner is ran when Firefox is still open, because I'm still having the same problem. I run CC sometimes forgetting to close FF, it's never been a problem before, I see the warning and have ran it anyway.

I thought it just ignored the cleaning of Firefox when it was open, but some how it is trying to clean it anyway and messing it up. Somehow CC is still corrupting the cookies.sqlite file

This is on a new PC with a fresh install of XP Pro SP3 and all updates, with a fresh install of 3.5.4 upgraded to 3.5.5. and a fresh install of 2.25.1025 CC. Other wise a perfectly running PC in ever aspect but this problem.

I updated CC from 2.25.1025 to 2.26.1050 and now the problem seems to be gone. I don't now if was something they fixed in CC or it just replaced a file that maybe was corrupted and not functioning right on my PC.

I'm stumped, anyway as of right now no problems. I don't post on this type of boards unless I'm sure there is a problem, so I'm sorry if I miss diagnosed a problem.

Hope this doesn't confuse the matter even further.

I updated CC from 2.25.1025 to 2.26.1050 and now the problem seems to be gone. I don't now if was something they fixed in CC or it just replaced a file that maybe was corrupted and not functioning right on my PC.

I'm stumped, anyway as of right now no problems. I don't post on this type of boards unless I'm sure there is a problem, so I'm sorry if I miss diagnosed a problem.

Hope this doesn't confuse the matter even further.

I upgraded also and the problem doesn't seem to be happening anymore either. I've also been more cautios of running it while FF is open, just in case that was causing the problem as well.

I have also just noticed this. After clenaing with firefox closed. My cookies.sqlite is still full of visited sites even though the cookies them self have been cleaned.

I never actually logged into any sites when testing this so these cookies are downloaded when a user visits the page.

I have personally just added the cookies.sqlite to the include list.

I wouldnt say ccleaner is currupting the cookies.sqlite because normally when currupted you would not be able to log in to any sites.

From what i know about cookies.sqlite it can be edited and remove the cookies from it while ff is running.

scrap that apparently it is now locked from ff 3.5

It also saves entry when it's in private browsing, which i think is pretty poor on FF side.

No fate but what we make

I upgraded also and the problem doesn't seem to be happening anymore either. I've also been more cautios of running it while FF is open, just in case that was causing the problem as well.

Thanks for replying, at least I know I'm not crazy.