CC doesn't remove cookie

SkyWired

The cookie: "sonicdrivein.com" sits in my CCleaner "Cookies to Delete" box, yet it never gets deleted when I run "Cleaner".

I don't know if this is a problem. Still, it is curious.

Couldn't find a similar topic in the forums. Is there any action I need to take?

Thanks for the welcome message.

I just dbl checked & I do have that box ckd. Any other thoughts?

Hi SkyWired, and welcome to the forum.

The site uses Flash Player.

Do you have the box checked for Adobe Flash Player?

Cleaner -> Applications -> Multi Media -> Adobe Flash Player.

If you want to manually delete the file(s).

First you must show hidden files and folders.

OS(C:) Under Tools -> Folder Option -> View -> Show hidden files and folders then click OK.

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\{Randomword}

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

Look for The file(s) in both locations and delete.

Restore: Do not show hidden files and folders then click OK.

That?s interesting, when this first came up, I searched for the location, but it did not show up. I followed your directions and found it.

After that I tried multiple searches and curiously the folders were not found until I narrowed the search to the Application Data folder. What?s that about?

So, now when I try to perform actions on the sonicdrivein.com. folder, here?s what happens:

• Attempt to Delete: ?Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.?
  • Highlight folder: ?folder is empty?
  • Attempt to Open: ? ? refers to a location that is unavailable ? info may have been moved to a different location.?

So what?s all this about? If it?s nothing why can?t I simply get rid of it?

If you use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you could try FileASSASSIN under more tools.

http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

You could download and try Unlocker.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Click on Download latest version for either program and save.

FileASSASSIN is ineffectual. It simply yields the error message: ? ? refers to a location that is unavailable ? info may have been moved to a different location.?

Unlocker claims to delete the object, but it doesn't.

Judging by all of the error messages from your last two posts it sounds as though it's no longer there!

What is now telling you that it is still there? Have you refreshed any apps where it is(was) visible?

The the sonicdrivein.com. folder still exists in the same 2 paths:

• C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\{Randomword}
  • C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

CCleaner still shows it in Cookies to Delete, after refreshes & reboots.

Judging by all of the error messages from your last two posts it sounds as though it's no longer there!

What is now telling you that it is still there? Have you refreshed any apps where it is(was) visible?

Could also try deleting in safe mode.

Or making an empty folder and drag and drop the file into it and then delete the folder.

Safe mode: same problems as Normal Mode.

Empty Folder Gambit yields error mess. something like: ?Cannot move file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.?

think your problem is the flash cookie,,,did you try flash cookie cleaner,,,but after a couple of ckicls his comes back .

so i guess what you need is to set include and exclude in ccleaner.

for vista

In CCleaner - Options - Include (Select Add Folder)

Add these two folders to the Include List: (Location will be different in XP. This is for Vista)

C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

======================

Next select the CCleaner - Options - Exclude (Select Add File)

Browse to:

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\settings.sol

The settings.sol is what you want to select.

Now when you run CCleaner it should empty both flash folders but protect your settings.

for XP

Include in CCleaner:

C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects

C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

Exclude in CCleaner:FILE

C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\settings.sol

You could try deleting the folder using the Command Prompt.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/arti...les-and-folders

Some say to kill explorer during the process using Task Manager (leave open) then go back to Task Manager, click File, New Task and enter EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.

It seems that killbox does something like that.

Sysinternals' MoveFile can be used to schedule the file to be moved/deleted at reboot before anything gets a handle on it.

Deleting the folder at reboot is probably the way to go.

I could only recommend killbox as an app that could do this.

You have to trust a program to run at boot.

Good find on a second app.

They may use different methods and one may work.

Deleting the folder at reboot is probably the way to go.

MoveFile just uses the standard Windows 'PendingFileRename' registry keys ... you could enter the details manually in the registry if you really want to. It's the same mechanism Windows itself uses to move or rename files. So it's not so much a program running at startup, as supplying filenames to the out-of-the-box Windows start-up functionality. Not sure if it works at folder level too though.

I've never used killbox, but as you say it might well incorporate the same mechanism.

This is a good little app for seeing what moves are pending without having to dig around in the registry ... http://exodusdev.com/products/whyreboot (although it was written for a slightly different purpose).

Oh and incidentally it's also the same mechanism that ccleaner uses to remove temp internet index.dat files.

How do you use PendMoves v1.1 and MoveFile v1.0.

Are they Vista compatible?

They're both just simple command-line apps ... the usage is given at the end of the linked page posted earlier.

PendMoves is effectively just a command-line version of WhyReboot.

MoveFile always needs two parameters ... the first is the file to be moved/deleted and the second is either the new file name if the file is to be moved, or "" if the file is to be deleted.

As far as I know they should work on Vista ... easy enough to try PendMoves and see if that runs okay :)