Anti-Spyware:

Microsoft Anti-Spyware

Ad-Aware SE Personal

NoAdware

Disk Cleaner:

CCleaner

Registry Cleaner:

Registry First Aid

All the programns are either freeware or fully registered.

About "NoAdware".

Note on NoAdware: NoAdware was listed on this page because of concerns with false positives and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising (1, 2, 3) including exploitation of the name "ad-aware" (1). Earlier versions of NoAdware were also the same underlying application as Adware Hitman, Consumer Identity, Protect Your Identity, SpyBan, SpywareAssassin, Spyware C.O.P., SpywareKilla, The Adware Hunter, & TheSpywareKiller. Over the past few months, NoAdware has taken aggressive steps to reign in its affiliates (who were primarily responsible for the unsavory advertising) and released a new version of NoAdware (version 3.0) that addresses our concerns with false positves. Given these changes we can no longer regard NoAdware as "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware.

I sure wouldn't use it after all of that.

Pros

+ Attractive and easy-to-use interface

Cons

- Very poor protection against spyware

- High-pressure sales tactics, including use of ?false positives? in their free scan

- May cause legitimate software to stop working

- Many reports of customers being ripped off

--==aGumon==--

I think you've got the wrong program here, Ad-Aware SE Personal, cos, its FREE. You download it, and it gets rid of spyware. No flase positives. Very poor? Not great, but it has picked out some spyware that others haven't....

And Tarun, why not? If they're fixed their mistakes, whatswrong? Spybot is the one with the problem, all sorts of pop up problems started appearing.

I think you've got the wrong program here, Ad-Aware SE Personal, cos, its FREE. You download it, and it gets rid of spyware. No flase positives. Very poor? Not great, but it has picked out some spyware that others haven't....

And Tarun, why not? If they're fixed their mistakes, whatswrong? Spybot is the one with the problem, all sorts of pop up problems started appearing.

Had they been legit from the get-go, they may have a better reputation. I refuse to use or recommend any product that has had such issues.

Like what? Microsoft? Got. Spybot? Ruons PC's, unlike Ad-Aware.

You guys dwell on the past, look to the future.....

Nice to know you're an expert in the field. :rolleyes:

Spybot does exactly what it is programmed to do. A majority of the time a problem with an application is not due to the program itself, but an uneducated user.

Spybot works very well, though it is lagging behind in the times anymore. I feel the interface is ugly, despite the new graphics. It does find what Ad-Aware and MSAS miss.

• Moderators

BackWeb although not "considered" spyware seems dodgy and/or suspicious to me since it plants itself all over the registry and all over the disk drive. I have no problems with Spybot SD f'n with BackWeb even though it means no updates to my Kodak Digital Camera (which has crappy software that's bloated, clunky, butt ugly, and looks outdated to begin with anyways). I find it strange so many well known software and hardware manufacturers use BackWeb Lite as an update component.

Edit:

And what's even more suspicious about BackWeb is that it give's it's .dll, .exe and registry entries different names (variants), as if it were trying to hide itself.

;)  Here's a new program that should help us all out with much of the spyware/adware.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14347650

That's a new and interesting one.

Nice one javacool, for making another good little program to help in the fight against malware.

I must admit I never read the license agreement anymore, I used to, but I now can't be bothered, so I am definately going to give this a try.

A more direct link.