Taskbar Icon Problem Win 7 64 bit

coover

I wish all computer problems were as small as this one, yet it bugs me a bit .

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my laptop (4 GB memory) after reformatting the hard drive. Defraggler is one of my favorite applications and I installed version 1.14.159 on the fresh operating system. I have always liked to use the old "Launch Bar" and tried to place the Defraggler Icon on the "Task Bar", which is the Windows 7 equivalent to the Launch Bar.

In the Start Menu, I found "Defraggler", did a right click on the shortcut, and selected "Pin to taskbar". An Icon was pinned to the taskbar, but it wasn't the Defraggler Icon, it was the generic windows icon that they use for applications that do not have an icon (see attachment).dr

I then opened Explorer and drilled down to Defraggler.exe and checked it's Icon. It was the same generic icon as on the taskbar. Going to the right click context menu, I clicked on "Properties" and I noticed that the picture of the Defraggler Icon was correct.

Among other things tried to correct this problem was to redownload the application, uninstall the original, and reinstall. It did not work.

How do it get the computer to properly display the correct icon?

Thank you very much.post-32714-1256677804_thumb.png

post-32714-1256677804_thumb.png

Problem solved!

There were two problems here... 1. The Icon Cache was corrupted ... and 2. The Task Bar was looking into the wrong location for the Icon. It was looking in the "Program Files" Directory when, because Defraggler is a 32 bit application, it should have been looking in the "Program Files (x86)" directory.

To follow the directions below, you need to make sure that ALL Files are visible in Explorer, including System Files. By default, System Files are invisible. You will problably want to make all extensions visible, too.

Solution ... Unpin the Icon and delete iconcache.db at (User Name) \App Data \Local. Reboot (which regenerates iconcache.db). Drill down to defraggler.exe (Program Files (x86) \Defraggler \defraggler.exe), right click on the file, and "Pin" it to the taskbar.