Best Media Player

greyowl2

So, as you can see from the info above, A file will only loose quality after it is saved as a lower quality file type (lossy) jpg/gif.

The jpg/gif file wont look any better/worse than when you last saved it even if you let it sit there for 10 years. (tho' if your hard drive dies that could be an issue)

fireryone

A file will only loose quality after it is saved as a lower quality file type (lossy) jpg/gif.

I'm not even sure that's the case. If you do 'Save As' in the same piece of software, you will end up with different file sizes (at least, in the software I've tried). Only a matter of bytes; but it's not an exact copy.

If I am concerned about quality the only way I will copy a jpeg is with a system file copy.

Gifs are lossless - just have a lower colour range.

I'm not even sure that's the case. If you do 'Save As' in the same piece of software, you will end up with different file sizes (at least, in the software I've tried). Only a matter of bytes; but it's not an exact copy.

I think Andavari touched on this...

If you open a jpeg and file "save as" it may/will drop bytes again (I think it's because a save as will run the compression again).

So as you've been doing, only use the windows copy menu/command if you need a copy of the file and don't need a different file type/resolution.

Gifs are lossless - just have a lower colour range.

After I posted that I thought I got the gif one was incorrect (had read something on it ages ago),

But my break (at work) was over so couldn't double check my info before finalizing my post, too late to save face now lol :D

:::

And just to confuse the OP further,

You can get some good quality jpg's and they are large files, most wallpapers are offered as jpg's and don't always look compressed.

Either way the file will not loose quality over time, it will only lose quality after being saved at a lower quality or if the program compresses it when saving it (not all programs give you a quality/compression option when saving).

Moral of the story:

1. Always keep an original copy (A bit of an oxymoron lol) of the file.

2. Make another copy of that as the one you want to do the edits on.

:: Feel free to correct/clarify any of my info, :) ::

fireryone

If you open a jpeg and file "save as" it may/will drop bytes again (I think it's because a save as will run the compression again).

That's certainly my experience - that's why I don't use that method to 'copy' a jpeg.

:: Feel free to correct/clarify any of my info, :) ::

Nope - sounds like everyone is agreeing ;)

Now, what was the topic again ... ah yes 'best media player'!! :huh:

Yes you are right save as is not much use for master copies and it does drop artefacts everywhere when you use save as in most art packages. I only ever convert files for storage masters or for production into larger files because it makes life a lot easier and the retouch or FX work much sharper.

Maybe we should open a new Post for file type discussion from this point ?

Now, what was the topic again ... ah yes 'best media player

Yes sorry for the little diversion from the OP but file quality is connected to how good a player is.

Windows Media Player and a good up to date Codec pack should keep all happy for playing music of any common file type,

it is windows supported after all. It also has a feature of album cover art for the folder and complete listing of tracks so you don’t have to type them all out, I was very grateful for that with Beethovens complete works collection :lol:

The only complaint I know or have with Win Amp is that it does not work on all PC’s.

One big problem with Windows Media Player is it's inability to properly play "gapless" tracks. An essential feature for any music player if you listen to concept type albums (Floyd), and Classical music.

The earlier version I had of WMP did this on my PC but the new one is ok? for now.

I also got a new sound card when v.11 was installed for 5.1.

Could this have something to do with sound cards also ?

Monkey, what is your current WMP version? (I have 11.0.6001)

I also have Power2Go, Ashampoo and Free CD Music Converter. Since the 2 sec gap cannot be disabled in my WMP, to burn an opera the best I can use is Power2Go, which cuts it to a split sec. Only my Sony tape deck can make a gapless copy ! :lol:

Monkey, what is your current WMP version? (I have 11.0.6001)

Sorry it was a while back since I installed it and can't remember exactly what V but it is 11. ????????

If you want serious copies then I suggest you look up a Yamaha CDR-HD 1500.

There are different models to choose from but they are all the same kit inside apart from the HD size.

They give you exceptional copies regardless of track blending etc.

I find that too many programs cause problems that can be hard to eliminate because of the amount of programs for doing one job only :wacko:

My PC audio is strange and gets upset easily with new programs for sound. I have had to take many sound programs off because of it including Q base. Now I try too keep players to a minimum to save getting conflicts.

• Moderators
I'm sure you've posted this many times over, Dennis, but what's your media player of choice?

I use Foobar2000 for music, MPlayer with MPUI for video as it plays everything, and I use Windows Media Player to put music onto my Sony Walkman.

WMP is actually a pretty good music player apart from the gapless thing. It does have the ability to set a crossfade between tracks, which sounds very close to gapless, but not the same thing sadly.

It sounds like I'm banging on a bit about gapless, but from my personal standpoint, it's essential.

Just as a matter of interest, the Sony Walkman doesn't do the gapless playback thing, so I have to get around that by using Foobar to convert an album into a single track, and that's as gapless as you can get.

• Moderators
Now that takes me back ... remember the original ones ... with cassettes ... ? :D

Yep, I've still got one.

In fact I've got a Walkman Cassette, Portable CD player, Portable MiniDisk player, and now a Walklman MP3/4 Video player.

The entire history of the Walkman sitting in a cupboard.

• Moderators
Leaping LaserDisc Batman!

It doesn't seem very long ago that I was showing my portable MiniDisk Player off to people who, like me, were absolutely gobsmacked that I could record a complete CD onto something so small.

No one could have dreamed where compression was heading, and "what's next" I ask myself?

Now that takes me back ... remember the original ones ... with cassettes ... ?

Remember when they would get chewed up and you had to try to get it out of the machine ?

You could get tape splicing kits to repair them too.

Then we discovered that you could use a pen to wind the tape rather than waste the batteries.

Tapes were a lot of fun :lol:

But how about this : I have an old Gramophone with a crank handle !

No one could have dreamed where compression was heading, and "what's next" I ask myself?

There was talk a few years ago about crystals being used to store huge amounts of data but I forgot all about it until you asked this. It was tec for hard drives in the original article I read but they said it could be used for any data like music or movies etc.

• Moderators

Although it's a few years too late now, I always thought a big chance missed back in the days of cassettes, was to use Video Tape for recording music.

The sound quality possible on a video tape so outstripped what was possible on cassette, that it was another planet.

I still have an old Panasonic VCR which has every input and output known to man, and I used it to record and store albums onto 3 and 4 hour video tapes. Mind you, searching for particular tracks wasn't much fun.

All ancient history now of course.

Now that's impressive ... especially if it's still working!

Yes it is in full working order and plays several gauges of Vinyl including the classic 78's.

The stylus is scary though, it is more of a nail than a needle. It looks like it cuts a new track every time the table turns judging by the look of it but it is the original. :lol:

There is a metal container with spare needles too.

Although it's a few years too late now, I always thought a big chance missed back in the days of cassettes, was to use Video Tape for recording music.

Back in "the day," Dennis, this was actually used quite frequently in professional recording studio applications.

I use Foobar2000 for music, MPlayer with MPUI for video as it plays everything, and I use Windows Media Player to put music onto my Sony Walkman.

Thought that's what you might be using, Dennis. Thanks for confirming.

• Moderators
Now that takes me back ... remember the original ones ... with cassettes ... ? :D

I still have my first cassette Walkman that I got back in my high school days, the thing is well over 20 years old, and I always use it when there's a thunderstorm big enough to knock off the electricity. It's tougher than nails too, and has always survived being dropped multiple times although it has only been dropped on a carpeted floor.

Now for the CD Walkman I have from the early 90's, I forgot how to work the damn thing :lol: , and having no instruction manual anymore doesn't help matters.