vga

yr3750

1) I have a Dell Dimension computer (desktop).

2) The model is 4400.

3) The Operating System is Windows 2000 (it states built on NT technology).

4)It appears that my graphics driver has been inadvertently uninstalled (or, simply deleted)...not sure which? As a result, her wallpaper, icons and pictures now have a grainy appearance. Anyway, is a graphics driver the same as a video card/driver...are these the same as a vga...is this the same as a display driver? Also, fyi...when you right click on the screen, click properties, click settings, click advanced, click adapter...it states "unavailable" for each item in Adapter Information (e.g., chip type, dac type, memory size, adapter string, bios information).

5) I have been on the Dell and Microsoft web sites trying to find info on a compatible adapter, as well as getting it downloaded.

6) I downloaded a couple of drivers that were supposedly compatible...NVIDIA Geforce3 Ti 200 and NVIDIA Geforce3 Ti 500. Dell referred to them as video card drivers. Unfortunately, I really do not know the type of driver that came with my unit.

7) The downloaded drivers do not show up on the Add or Delete Program listings...should they? The old one that was uninstalled/deleted showed up on this listing as a Display Driver.

8) Once downloaded, does a driver have to be configured or started...if so, how?

9) Needless to day, I can't get it working. If it is working correctly, shouldn't it show up on the adapter tab (see #4 above).

• 2 weeks later...
1) I have a Dell Dimension computer (desktop).

2) The model is 4400.

3) The Operating System is Windows 2000 (it states built on NT technology).

4)It appears that my graphics driver has been inadvertently uninstalled (or, simply deleted)...not sure which? As a result, her wallpaper, icons and pictures now have a grainy appearance. Anyway, is a graphics driver the same as a video card/driver...are these the same as a vga...is this the same as a display driver? Also, fyi...when you right click on the screen, click properties, click settings, click advanced, click adapter...it states "unavailable" for each item in Adapter Information (e.g., chip type, dac type, memory size, adapter string, bios information).

5) I have been on the Dell and Microsoft web sites trying to find info on a compatible adapter, as well as getting it downloaded.

6) I downloaded a couple of drivers that were supposedly compatible...NVIDIA Geforce3 Ti 200 and NVIDIA Geforce3 Ti 500. Dell referred to them as video card drivers. Unfortunately, I really do not know the type of driver that came with my unit.

7) The downloaded drivers do not show up on the Add or Delete Program listings...should they? The old one that was uninstalled/deleted showed up on this listing as a Display Driver.

8) Once downloaded, does a driver have to be configured or started...if so, how?

9) Needless to day, I can't get it working. If it is working correctly, shouldn't it show up on the adapter tab (see #4 above).

This happened to me one time...I went the microsoft download website and downloaded the latest Service Pack.....The problem with the grainy screen was cleared up..This is an e-z fix and is worth trying before you get into the video card delimma.......

• Moderators

If you download the drivers from Dell make sure you input the computer Service Tag number on the Dell support drivers and software download website. The Service Tag should be a sticker somewhere on the computer, or in the included documentation, or installed on the system in the Start Menu->Programs, or in the System BIOS screens.

By inputting the Service Tag it will narrow down the available drivers that are specifically for that system.