Where does CCleaner install system.dll?

BrownSugar

After using the slim build of CCleaner for years, I just downloaded the latest version which is 2.24. I decided to unzip the archive using 7zip and noticed that in the $PLUGINSDIR is a file called system.dll. Is this file installed and if so, where? I don't see it in my current Ccleaner folder and a scan of my OS and programs partitions show system.dll files but those are associated with MS Framework.

When upgrading to a later version, can I:

a - just unzip an exe archive and replace the Ccleaner.exe file, or

b - reinstall the new CCleaner program over the old one, or

c - save my ini file, uninstall the old version and install the new version?

I always seem to use method c.

ccleaner does not come zipped. It comes as a installer. where are you downloading from?

http://www.filehippo.com/download/file/f21...8bdc3d391da832/

" System.dll is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files". Known file sizes on Windows XP are 792,576 bytes (60% of all occurrence), 688,128 bytes.

A .dll file (Dynamic Link Library) is a special type of Windows program containing functions that other programs can call. This .dll file can be injected to all running processes and can change or manipulate their behavior. The program is not visible. The service has no detailed description. It can change the behavior of other programs or manipulate other programs. It is not a Windows core file. System.dll is able to monitor applications, manipulate other programs. Therefore the technical security rating is 67% dangerous, however also read the users reviews. "

No fate but what we make

The system.dll and everything else in the $PLUGINSDIR is part of the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System that Piriform uses for it's installers. The system.dll is only used when you run the installer. It's extracted in the windows temp directory and deleted when the installer quits.

The system.dll and everything else in the $PLUGINSDIR is part of the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System that Piriform uses for it's installers. The system.dll is only used when you run the installer. It's extracted in the windows temp directory and deleted when the installer quits.

Thanks for the explanation, TheOdds. In answer to previous comments, you can download the setup file here (slim build):

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

Use 7zip to open the exe file. Most clean programs will use a simple packer for their installer that can be opened by 7zip. Sometimes you then have the option of just copying the software files to a directory and running it without installing.

Ccleaner takes care of that with their portable build.