WinDirStat Functionallity in CCleaner

aboushley

Windirstat is a great bit of kit but has nothing to do with cleaning.

Would just be a pointles functionality in the world of junk cleaning to bloat it. The only time i have recommended is when wipe free space has been stopped during wipe and has left behind a big temp file.

The ten biggest files/folders on my computer and not junk. So why would i need this information displayed to me?

There is also a big risk of displaying what may look like unneeded 'large' unknown file types for example pagefile.sys that could easily be deleted but are vital for the computer.

Great kit, Belongs with ccleaner? IMO no.

sam

No fate but what we make

For informational purposes I see no problem. I didnt have the notion of deleting/cleaning such files and folders. CC has a startup tool. Not something you need on a daily basis, Or even weekly. But its there in the mean time. If you want/need the tool you use it. If not, you ignore it.

As for bloat, 30 lines of code at 20 kb to display such info is nothing to worry about. On that note, I doubt we would see such functionality anyway. To be realistic. But theres nothing wrong with hope either.

:D

But then we could say lets add it about a number of tools. I love windirstat, i think it's great. I use it maybe once every 6 months, then again i use ccleaner about 20 times a day.

CCleaner is constantly in development, Which means it's constantly growing in size. Regardles if it is 1kb or 100mb it still is adding to it's size.

startup and uninstall and also system restore do offer a cleanup service, regardles of how often you use them.

But this is just my view of the idea ^_^

No fate but what we make

Well, luckily it was only a suggestion B)

I tend to be more in favor of peoples suggestions realizing that most never come to pass. Look what it took to get wiping free space implemented.

There is never any thing wrong with a suggestion, or an opinion. This is mine and that was yours. It's what discussion boards are about. :lol:

No fate but what we make

As for bloat, 30 lines of code at 20 kb to display such info is nothing to worry about. On that note, I doubt we would see such functionality anyway. To be realistic. But theres nothing wrong with hope either.

Bloat is unwelcome bloat, even if it is only 20 kb.

Actually it is NOT 20 kb. It is 652 kb if you are lucky.

I have a version of WinDirStat that is 652 kb AFTER I stripped out all foreign languages.

The standard installation has to be far worse.

They have a blog that reports their product gets a False Positive malware alert.

Do we really want more malware alerts by updating CCleaner and having Windirstat come along for the ride ?

I have just launched Windirstat.

It took 29 Seconds to load and for me to authorise suspected malware and then to analyse all partitions,

And when I selected partition C:\ it took a further 180 Seconds for all the Pacman heads to complete their munching and show the sizes and files at the first level of C:\. I have only 51,000 files on C:\ because most of my user files are in other partitions. Many people keep everything on C:\.

It takes only 2.5 Seconds to launch CCleaner and Analyse. Do we really need to wait another 2 minutes whilst WinDirStat gets of the launching pad ?

You can launch any program by various means, including Windows => All programs.

It would be sensible to cluster together CCleaner and WinDirStat within one Windows => All programs => Disk Tools,

but you could just as sensibly add to that cluster a Defragger + Partition Manager + Disc image Archiver + on demand malware scanner.

What would NOT be sensible is to launch the whole cluster of tools when only one is needed.

Alan

Actually it is NOT 20 kb. It is 652 kb if you are lucky.

I have a version of WinDirStat that is 652 kb AFTER I stripped out all foreign languages.

The standard installation has to be far worse.

Actually it is.

I not in favor of implementing the entire app into CC... Only some basic stat info for reference. I have a working executable that comes in at 13kb.

I'll agree with you on the first comment.