Cookies still showing in Options\Cookies after Run Cleaner

Name User

For some time now I've had a problem with CCleaner retaining the cookies list in Options\Cookies after using Run Cleaner. Before it always emptied this list, which made it easy to find which cookie pertained to a site I registered on so I could save that cookie vs having to login each time I visit it. It is deleting cookies, it just won't refresh the cookies list in the left side of the Options\Cookies page.

What can I do to resolve this? I've been updating CCleaner by merely over writing the files when it alerts me of a new version, which has always worked fine, but maybe I should thoroughly uninstall then install it. I've been reluctant to do that because then I'd lose all the cookies I want saved.

• Moderators
Mind saying what you mean by that? You mean uninstall, then reinstall CCleaner?

Ignore that post Name User, it was a post by a spammer just to get a sig link showing for his spam.

Are you aware of saving your settings to ccleaner .ini file?

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/advanced...eaner-ini-files

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Ignore that post Name User, it was a post by a spammer just to get a sig link showing for his spam.

Are you aware of saving your settings to ccleaner .ini file?

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/advanced...eaner-ini-files

Well I looked at that link, and none of the ini edits seem to apply to cookies you want to delete, just save. So I really wouldn't know how to edit it. Besides, that doesn't really explain why this is happening. I never had this problem before.

• Moderators

I think hazel means that within CCleaners settings you can choose the option to automatically save all your CCleaner settings to an ini file.

"CCleaner\Options\Advanced\Save all settings to INI file".

This means that should you wish to do a clean install of a new version, you can save the INI file to another location, and then place it back into the CCleaner folder after your new install. "CCleaner\Program Files\CCleaner".

Although installing a new version over the previous one is fine.

Regarding your list of cookies, make sure you have "Adobe Flash Player" box checked in "CCleaner\Applications\Multimedia".

The cookies you can't clear may be in a Flash Cookie (settings.sol file).

Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying Dennis. If what you indicated about the Multimedia listings in the Application tree is the default, I have something wrong, because I see no Adobe Flash Player listed under Multimedia, just the following...

Quicktime Player

Quicktime Player Cache

VirtualDub

Windows Media Player

Windows Movie Maker

What's weird is I don't even have Quicktime Player installed. I only installed Quicktime Alternative, which merely allows embedded Quicktime videos on websites to play. I have Adobe Flash Player 10 installed and their Flash player test site verifies it. The only Adobe listing I see under Applications is Applications\Applications\Adobe Reader 9.0.

Note that when I update CCleaner I always use the "slim" version, but as far as I know it only excludes languages other than English and the optional toolbar. So should I do a fresh install of CCleaner and is it advisable to copy, save and paste the ini from the current install?

(EDITED)

Just tried installing the latest slim build over the existing install. Same results, App tree shows no AFP, and left side of Cookies page won't clear after Run Cleaner.

• Moderators

That's strange, if you have the latest Adobe Flash Player, it should appear as shown here:

fe465f1ec791.jpg

There's no difference having the slim version, but it wouldn't hurt to update to the latest CCleaner if you don't have it:

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

I would copy your INI file to another folder, maybe just stick it in "My Documents" as a backup, and then copy it back after installing the new version.

I never use copy and paste, I always select a file and use the "copy this file" button from the left pane, but as long as it's copied OK, that should be fine.

Post back the outcome.

It seems it may be that you have a retail vs free version Dennis, I only have the free version, but again, the free version has always cleared the left side of the cookies page after Run Cleaner. Also, I am still on XP Home if that matters.

Jamin, the key you listed shows up in HKCR, HKLM and HKU, but not HKCR. Maybe that's the problem. I primarily use Firefox, and it's my default browser, so AFP installs as a plugin for it, though oddly it's not listed in the plugins even though it's working.

I also did an XP repair recently, vs full format, which I suppose could have something to do with it. If it means doing a full format to sort this out though, I'd rather not bother. I'll be building a new system in a few months or so anyway.

As for yet another full install, I don't see how that would help if installing over the previous version is OK. Like I said, I did just install the latest slim build over the previous install, and the previous was already the latest version.

• Moderators

For now I have no idea, but I'll of course think on it.

In the meantime, to see if a Flash Cookie is the problem, you should have the following folders:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\Z9N7G7KH

Bold highlighted number will differ on your computer.

and ...

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

Look in those locations for "settings.sol" files. They may just say "settings". Delete them, and re-launch CCleaner.

If the list clears, then you can add either the locations (folders) or individual files to CCleaners "Include" feature. "CCleaner\Options\Include File or Folder".

You will need to check the "Custom Files And Folders" box in "CCleaner\Windows\Advanced" for the "Include" to work.

Post back how you get on.

Didn't work, although I did it a bit round about because I missed that last part at fist about the Include feature. I deleted the .sol file (only one shown and only in 2nd location), then all the cookies in both locations, put both folders in the Include feature, ran Run Cleaner, all cookies that showed in left pane are still there.

(EDITED)

Just tried completely removing everything CCleaner including a very thorough mop up with Glary's reg tool, AusLogic's reg tool, and manual registry searches, rebooted, freshly installed CCleaner again, hit Run cleaner, and STILL those cookies that were in the left pane of Options\Cookies are there!!! Except now I don't have any of the cookies that I wanted saved in the right pane.

I even tried resetting both Firefox and IE to the default settings, still same problem.

This is ridiculous.

• Moderators

It's also a mystery, and I've a feeling it's tied in some way to the non appearance of Adobe Flash Player in CCleaner.

And as you mentioned yourself, the Flash Player plugin isn't showing up either, although it's working.

I don't know of another location storing Flash Cookies, and similar problems in the past have been fixed by checking it's box.

Another thought just come to mind is do you have Opera listed under applications?

Another thought just come to mind is do you have Opera listed under applications?
Ha, that was it!!! Stupid me, I didn't even think it could have been the Opera cookies. I don't use Opera very often.

Well now the cookies clear out in the Options/Cookies page, but I still don't get the Adobe Flash Player not showing. Your CCleaner skin even looks different than mine. In the Firefox addons it shows Shockwave Flash in the plugins, but not Adobe Flash Player. Could that be causing it? Should I uninstall Shockwave Flash and reinstall Adobe Flash Player?

• Moderators

It wouldn't hurt to check which Flash installations you have, and whether they're up to date or not.

Try the Adobe Flash test page here, and see what it says:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

If you come up short or out of date, or even faulty, you can download Flash Player from here:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Quite recently, it was more or less recommended to uninstall a version of Flash Player with the proper tool before installing a new one, but Flash installations uninstall old versions as they install themselves. I've carried out my last few updates this way, and the resulting log shows the removal and install process.

If you access that page with Firefox, Safari or Opera, the correct Flash version will install for those browsers. If you use IE, the easiest way is to access that page with IE to get the correct version installed. It saves going around the houses.

EDIT:

We've probably got the same skin, I just took a "cropped" image in the screenshot in post #8.

66df737c64.jpg