How NOT to clean win7 start panel?

thany

I've been using CCleaner for a long time. And I've never run into any real problems, until recently.

I can't seem to figure out which option causes the Windows 7 start panel to be cleared. It's very annoying that I have to be rid of those items every time I give CCleaner another chance at NOT cleaning it.

I've unchecked most options that could be responsible, but after cleaning and clicking just one item in the start panel, it's cleared!

What do I do to NOT clean out the start panel??

Keep up the good work, btw. Other than this prob, CCleaner is great and I use it at every machine I use ;)

Which items are being removed from the start menu that you would like to retain? Theres Run, Recent Docs, Recently used programs etc. In the mean time here are the items that will affect the start menu that I know of...

Recent Documents, Run, Other Explorer MRU's and Taskbar Jump Lists

Those items are stored under: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage2\ProgramsCacheSMP

But so far I havent been able to get CC to remove the pinned items. I can do it manualy in regedit. If we cant figure out which option is removing that key we can add an exclusion rule in CC (options>exclude>add registry).

This is the area i'm talking about:

do-not-kill-this.png

@Disk4mat:

You are probably referring to something else. I think "pinned items" are items that stay at the top, regardless of the most opened items. I don't use pinned items, as you can see.

In your screenshot are all those apps 'recently used' then?

post-15598-1255463691_thumb.png

Have you tried unchecking all items in CC and then check one item, clean and repeat until the items are removed from the start panel? Are you using the registry cleaner?

post-15598-1255463691_thumb.png

Yes it's the recently used part of your screenshot. No I haven't tried your suggestion, because that would ultimately clean out the start panel again, and I don't want that :)

And I'm not using the reg cleaner to produce this problem.

• 1 year later...

Bumping old unrelated topics is a waste of time,

especially here, where two different people are complaining about totally different things,

i.e. one was using registry cleaning and the other was not.

Start your own topic and which aspect of CC gives problems,

and it is never wrong to state your O.S.

Alan

Bumping old unrelated topics is a waste of time,

especially here, where two different people are complaining about totally different things,

i.e. one was using registry cleaning and the other was not.

Start your own topic and which aspect of CC gives problems,

and it is never wrong to state your O.S.

I don't mean to be rude, but this *is* my topic (i.e. I started it) and is *is* related, since this old problem still persists in the latest version.

• Moderators

I believe the one you are looking for is under advanced "user assist history" and it is cleared after running that and restarting explorer. so unchecking "user assist history" should stop ccleaner from removing your recent programs.

#latepass

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com