Undates are not always good!

Normandie

A few weeks ago I decided to see if Corel had any up updates for Wordperfect Office 12 (I know, no one uses it but me. I have been using WordPerfect from it's DOS days and it is too late to change :P ) It showed a service pack 2, I had already installed service pack 1, so I downloaded it and checked it for viruses, none listed, then hit the install key. BIG MISTAKE :angry: !!!!! It ran, said the computer needed to be rebooted, and so I clicked on "yes". When the computer tried, you noticed I said "tried" to start, Windows XP refused to load. :o I did everything, tried to start in safe mode, no chance, tried to start with last correct configuration, for 2 hours, I tried, nothing doing it was gone.

With tears :huh: in my eyes I put the restore CD in and started to format the HD. Well, 9 hours later, after updating Windows, installing all my software and getting all things back as they were, I was tired to say the least. I did not lose any data as I backup everyday. Thank you Lord!

So my conclusion is that updates are not always the thing to do. I should have listened to my Father when he said, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" :P

The good out of all of this is that I have a really up to date, clean install, at least for a while.

Have a good day,

Normandie

The only updates I make a habit of getting are security fixes, anti-spyware and anti-virus definitions.

Oh, and CCleaner of course.

I tried updating Office 2000 once, which went wrong half way through, I could not go on and could not go back, luckily it was just Office 2000 that got ruined and not the computer.

dont know... i always update my software to a newer build or newer version (most of the time without the need of paying)... but of coz... some programs i do prefer the older version...

--==aGumon==--

hi .. i know this isnt going to help in any way but i feel the same about change. If the program is working well why change. I use a "free" video editor program & it has regular updates. About a year or so ago they brought out a updated version & there were a few people .. including myself .. that could NOT make the new version run !! In the forum i posted something very simular to your post about sticking to using the version thats stable. Then someone from the "program maker" added a note to say that a DLL file was required in some operating systems !!!! . One other point .. sometimes some of the dll files DONT ship with the newer update versions .. as they expect u to have them!

Im new to CCleaner .. ive run it for the 1st time today.I hope it sorts out some of my pcs problems .... cheers all

russ