CCleaner deletes my home page

Kool Kat

Have your browser open with one tab only with your homepage on it.

Then open CCleaner -> click Options in the left column -> Click Cookies -> search for Google at the top of the big white box to the left -> highlight the cookie that belongs to your homepage -> use the buttons in the centre between the 2 white boxes to move the cookie to the box Cookies to keep.

Also check your browser settings. For IE8: open IE8 -> Tools -> Preferences -> General tab. Do you have the homepage of your choice (Google) listed there? If not change the setting.

Not really. Google saves user settings regarding their home page in a cookie (i.e. one of the only two feasible means.) By deleting cookies, you take your My Google settings out. No settings = Classic Google homepage.

Now, the point is: If you want to keep any cookie, then don't delete index.dat.

How do I stop the CCleaner from erasing my Google home page each time it runs.

Fleet Command, I read that as "How do I stop the CCleaner from erasing my Google home page", not "How do I stop the CCleaner from erasing 'My Google' home page".

It may be that the OP did mean 'My Google' home page and this is a cookie issue. However, I don't think that the cookies' index.dat is removed by ccleaner. Although it appears to be marked for deletion like the other index.dat files, it doesn't actually seem to be re-created. That's the behaviour I've found on both an XP Home and an XP Professional installation. My cookies were preserved irrespective of the index.dat setting.

And that makes sense; if checking index.dat did make a difference, that would indeed render ccleaner's cookie preservation useless unless users left index.dat unchecked ... I think there would be a large number of people screaming loudly if that were the case! :)

Fleet Command, I read that as "How do I stop the CCleaner from erasing my Google home page", not "How do I stop the CCleaner from erasing 'My Google' home page".

It may be that the OP did mean 'My Google' home page and this is a cookie issue. However, I don't think that the cookies' index.dat is removed by ccleaner. Although it appears to be marked for deletion like the other index.dat files, it doesn't actually seem to be re-created. That's the behaviour I've found on both an XP Home and an XP Professional installation. My cookies were preserved irrespective of the index.dat setting.

And that makes sense; if checking index.dat did make a difference, that would indeed render ccleaner's cookie preservation useless unless users left index.dat unchecked ... I think there would be a large number of people screaming loudly if that were the case! :)

Hello, everyone:

I am a brand new owner of a PC -- believe it or not. Mine is a Dell Inspiron 530, Windows Vista Home Premium, 64 bit with Internet Explorer 7.0 at present (though Microsoft keeps trying to upgrade me to IE 8, but Dell says it will not work w/o Windows 8 -- any opinions on this matter).

My concern is that my home page keeps defaulting to the blank igoogle home page. The address of my home page is www.google.com/ig?h=en, a page with gadgets one specially sets for one's own interest. I would like to know how to avoid spending time setting and resetting these gadgets, especially after running CCleaner. I would like to set them and have them remain intact unless I decide to change the face of this home page. I followed the first advice I received to move the cookie that I assume belongs to my home page, google.com, to the box for cookies to keep. Also, in my browser, the bottom bar with the icons from Home to Tools, the address of my google home page is set under Internet Options under Tools.

What I do not understand is why under the wrench icon on the Google toolbar, under Options, then Search, I cannot activate the choice that says "Enable Google as my Home Page."

So, if anyone wanted more details from me, are these enough?

Did someone say something about a "bug?" If so, what bug, and why do you think one is there, or where?

IE8 is fairly new - Dell probably just aren't shipping it yet ... or it didn't make it into Kool Cat's machine. There should not be any problem at all in upgrading to IE8.

As for the cookies, there can be multipe cookies for a website. I would close the browsers, delete all cookies, then go back to the google website and go through all of the customisations to get everything a required. Then open ccleaner and view the cookies - the ones relating to gogle should be more obvious having got rid of everything else. Move all of the relevant ones to 'keep' and see how that goes.

You should upgrade to IE8. It's better security-wise. Really. Did Dell say that IE8 would not run on your PC?

Look here what Google made: Internet Explorer 8 optimized for Google. Link: http://www.google.com/toolbar/ie8/

What happened was through Internet Explorer, Microsoft messaged me that an ugrade was available, and the upgrade offered was to Internet Explorer 8. I bit, and chose to upgrade. Then, various functions on this computer did not work. At this time, the computer was only about a week old. I know very little about computer science itself. I called Dell about the new problems I was encountering, and the Dell representative told me that I should not upgrade to IE 8 until Windows 8 is launched at the end of this month. The rep assured me that, as "a valued Dell customer," I would be receiving a free upgrade to Windows 8 when it becomes available. Now, though, Dell may be reneging on this promise.

So, on account of this problem, and others, at that time, Dell "scrubed" my new computer back to factory settings. So, I am back with IE 7 and waiting for Windows 8 to come out. A shortcut function to the internet had to be installed on my desktop at that time of the scrubbing to enable compatiblity with Adobe Flash Player 9.0 (or is it 10.0).

Interet Explorer 8 was released on March 19, 2009. That was ? a year ago. :D I can't believe this. I'm sorry to hear about the Flash problems. And what is Windows 8? :P We are still waiting for Windows 7. :D It will be out on the 22nd October.

Intenet Explorer 8 is the latest browser.

Windows 7 is the latest operating system. It will be out in a couple of weeks.

Windows 8 does not exist yet. Microsoft just began hiring staff for it's development.

Windows 7 is only a few days away. You could just wait. The users and the staff in here would gladly help you again when you have Windows 7 on board. This new system will not have as many issues as Vista. I think I would just wait. But here it is:

This is Internet Explorer 8 optimized for Vista x64. After all these months the bugs should be gone: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...0b-bc37bd6ab70c

It is most wise to save the download to your desktop. Disable all your antivirus and firewall programs. Close all other programs. Then install. Reboot. Re-activate firewall and anti-malwareprograms. First stop should be Microsoft Update because you'll need the latest hotfix and other recent updates. Delete the remains from the installation left on your desktop.

The Flash work-around for IE8 is the same: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topic...;l=da&s=gen