CCleaner dosnt do it?s work...

marlin

I am using a fresh installed and latest version of cleaner: 2.24.1010

Following error occurs: Havin logged in at EBAY?s login-mask I close firefox (3.5.3, start ccleaner (all check-boxes are activated, of course), start after that the analsysis function of ccleaner, find that there ar 0 bytes left to clean, close ccleaner, thinking evrything has got cleared and deleted.

BUT:

After restarting firefox and loading Ebay?s login-mask the error occurs: My login-name will still appear, although it should have cleared by ccleaner, because the check-box for clearing that is activated.

The clean-function of firefox (CTRL-Shift del) will clear every login-mask properly.

Strange ... seems to be a mistake.

The second "malfunction or lacking function of ccleaner regards to outlook (2003): The search entries wont be deleted by running ccleaner.

Deleting this entry-list would be very helpful und would make system more sure, I think.

Somebody got any idea?

Thanks

marlin

regarding your first issue. You say your login mask is still visible? But you are not logged in?

for ccleaner to remove this it would have to be wiping saved passwords in FF. which it does not do. And for good reason to. I'd expect to see lots of people starting threads saying they have lost all there saved passwords.

have i understood you right?

No fate but what we make

regarding your first issue. You say your login mask is still visible? But you are not logged in?

for ccleaner to remove this it would have to be wiping saved passwords in FF. which it does not do. And for good reason to. I'd expect to see lots of people starting threads saying they have lost all there saved passwords.

have i understood you right?

Thanks,

no, You did?nt get me and my problem.

After logging out from Ebay I leave firefox without clearing and cleaning anything inside of firefox. I just log out from Ebay.

Firefox is now shut down and closed.

Now I use to start ccleaner - every firefox-regarding checkbox (tab Applications) is activated:

Five items should be cleaned now by ccleaner: Cookies, Donwnloadhistory, formfils(?) (in German "gespeicherte Formulardaten) !, Inernet cache and history.

But ccleaner doesn?t do what it is expected to do: My Ebay-Nickname will appear at next acces to Ebay?s homepage using firefox :

The loginmask contains and shows - and it should after cleaning by ccleaner NOT contain - my Ebay-Login-Name.

I think, this formfil ("Formulardaten") should have been deleted - according to the activated checkbox - for the reason of privacy.

Why does ccleaner at this point not work as told and expected?

I have then to use the built in cleaning of firefox to get rid of all entries in this loginmask. The same error occurs in Login-Forms of other homepages -e.g. t-online etc.

Thanks for ideas ...

Marlin

so i dont get you wrong again. Pictures explain it better. Is this what you are talking about (example)

35iyxqh.jpg

No fate but what we make

That will likely be because Firefox has saved the password, which I don't believe CC wipes out.

Tools / Options / Security / "Remember Passwords for sites"

Instead of removing the tick and loosing all saved passwords, you could select "Use a master password" and password protect your passwords

fireryone

That will likely be because Firefox has saved the password, which I don't believe CC wipes out.

Tools / Options / Security / "Remember Passwords for sites"

Instead of removing the tick and loosing all saved passwords, you could select "Use a master password" and password protect your passwords

No, Firefox doesn?t save the password or something else - this option has been deactivated.

The one and only problem is: ccleaner won?t clean the login-form of any site e.g. ebay or t-online, although it is told to do so.

This got nothing to do with a password. It got to do with the loginname / Nickname you fill in in some form. This entry is sored remembered inspite having activated the checkbox : clean forms before running ccleaner.

[i?d like to insert a screenshot into this post, to get things clearer, but can?t find a way to do so except from posting an image on some url an inserting it from there - does there exist a direct way for uploading some pic directly from HD?]

• Moderators

I just do, fast reply... press more option button.

write my post and then

2.Browse to file on harddrive

3 Upload it.

4 Press add reply

You will not see it until you post it.

Remember jpeg, or gif.

post-1555-1254416157_thumb.jpg

post-1555-1254416157_thumb.jpg

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

CCleaner does not wipe login information. Username and password and are not the same as form information saved. such as email address.

No fate but what we make

Thanks.

IMHO the purpose of ccleaner is wiping traces, that remain after internet activities.

I?m sure that ccleaner in the past used to wipe ALL login informations of visited sites - also entries in the field USERNAME.

Maybe the recent problems got do to with upgrading firefox to version: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3

Recently ccleaner does not clear those fields and IMHO privacy of surfing will be not guaranted, if there remain important informations like USERNAME in Login-Masks.

I?ll try to post a screenshot, that shows this recent lack of data security- i?m still sure, that ccleaner has to clean these informations, too.

Once more: Firefox does not store any password or form-informations. After closing firexox and AFTER complete cleaning (all checkboxes of cc activated) the ebay login-mask shows up containing still the last username - I think, that?s not the way a cleaner toll should behave...

post-19545-1254642886_thumb.jpg

post-19545-1254642886_thumb.jpg

If you use Firefox's option to "clear private data/clear recent history", is the field blank on a browser reload?

have you any toolbars installed, maybe a toolbar/addon is remembering it...

fireryone

If you use Firefox's option to "clear private data/clear recent history", is the field blank on a browser reload?

have you any toolbars installed, maybe a toolbar/addon is remembering it...

the lastest ff does not allow clearing of saved passwords on exit. And rightly so. It's a function that has never made any sense to me. Why would u save something just to delete it?

Have you even checked saved passwords for the login thats being displayed?

Overall i would not class this as a breach to your private browsing.(IMO)

No fate but what we make

the lastest ff does not allow clearing of saved passwords on exit. And rightly so. It's a function that has never made any sense to me. Why would u save something just to delete it?

Have you even checked saved passwords for the login thats being displayed?

Overall i would not class this as a breach to your private browsing.(IMO)

The matter is not the password and is not firefox -- it?s the username, that should be deleted, but will not be cleaned by cccleaner.

Of course USERNAME and the cleaning of it is a matter of privacy and sure surfing. If I use e.g any public PC for surfing EBAY-sites or some forum sites an my username will be not cleaned by the cleaningtool, evrybody will be able to look up all my profiles, althoug I just wanted to prevent and avoid this - why else should I use any cleaner..???? :D

If I clear the compete history using the internal cleaner of firefox (shift ctls- del-) EVERYTHING will be cleaned - also the USERNAME. It seems a little bit strange, that an original cleanertool like ccleaner clans less traces than a browser... there?s something wrong with it. Every Mask / Form must be cleaned - except I tell the tool, what is to leave undeleted.

All i want to know is: why does ccleaner not do it?s job - to clean everything according chosen options. Have I to install some patches or are there hidden options or somizhing of this kind or was it the intention the programmers of ccleaner, to leave some items uncleaned - but why, for god?s sake??

In the case, cc will not be able to clean these items , i got to look out for some other cleanertool, which will clean every trace generated during surfing - ?cause theatis just the purpose a cleaner has been created and installed for- isn?t it?

• Moderators

Hi marlin.

As the guys above point out, deleting usernames/passwords is a thorny point. If my memory serves me right (and it doesn't always), CCleaner began deleting usernames and passwords when the storage location of these items was changed by Mozilla.

I think this started with Version 3.something, (memory again) and it caused a lot of complaints from users until the new location was configured not to be deleted by CCleaner. So deleting this information I think has to be a user added routine.

Usernames and Passwords are stored in a file called "signons.sqlite", which is located in your Firefox profiles folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\8sgu9e5b.default. The bold number being different on your PC of course.

Similar information is also stored in the same folder in a file called "key3.db", which I don't think needs to be included in the following suggestion.

Try adding the "signons.sqlite" file to CCleaners Include feature. "CCleaner\Options\Include\Add File Or Folder", and select the "Add File" button and navigate to that file in the above folder, and select open.

You would need to check the "Custom Files And Folders" box in "CCleaner\Windows\Advanced" for the include to work.

Deleting this file should clear your Usernames as well as your Passwords and prevent them appearing when you access a website.

Hope that helps, but post back if you still have the problem.

public PC for surfing EBAY-sites or some forum sites an my username will be not cleaned by the cleaningtool, evrybody will be able to look up all my profiles, althoug I just wanted to prevent and avoid this - why else should I use any cleaner..???? :D

why would you be cleaning a public pc? Your profile is only available to a few hundred million people to click on so i would not worrie about that to much

No fate but what we make

why would you be cleaning a public pc? Your profile is only available to a few hundred million people to click on so i would not worrie about that to much

@ident

Sry, but such st... "arguments" drive me crazy- look:

The Difference is: The few hundred millions, who can read my profiles, are not able to combine them with my real-life persion- right? When I?m e.g. at work and I?m surfing just a few minutes on Ebay - sites (e.g), it might be more than clear, that I don?t want the next user beeing able to see my Username and so to combine me and this certain Ebay - member - that?s a matter of privacy!

The following User will know my secret identity. And it is just the purpose of any cleaning-tool to avoid exactly this.

Following Your "argumentation" nobody would need any cleanertool ...

:angry:

@ DennisD

The first and real problem-understanding and helpful post was that of DennisD - thank You for Your detailed answer with - in german- "hand und fu?" - I?ll try Your work araound, but still cant understand, that a tool calling itself clenaer, will leave imortant traces of surfing undeleted ... it?s a mixed up, muddled up shook up world - ...

:rolleyes:

In CCleaners Options -> Advanced there's a default check mark in Only delete temp files older that 48 hours. Did you remove that mark? Because you'll need to.

Hi - thanks for Your answer, but this mark is defintively removed ...with desperating regards .... :unsure:

It must be a FireFox issue then. But I'm not familiar with FireFox's settings.

You do of cause not have anything eBay related sitting in CCleaners cookies to keep...

Also: do you have eBay listed in some trusted interet zone in you browser?

On some dynamic drop down menus you can right click on an entry and delete it. Is that possible on the little dropdown menu with login name suggestions in this case?

On forums you can often find a "Delete all cookies made by this board" option. Logging in and out of eBay again could tell you if they have a similar service. I'm not sure it would solve the problem, however...

Do you have a Google toolbar or some other toolbar on your FireFox? They have some functions, not just autofill but other services that could be involved...

Just curious if you have tried going back to version 2.23. That solved all of my similar problems.

2.24.1010 was not cleaning cookies or temp files on my vista 64, IE8 setup.

See this thread: problems with 2.24.1010

Thank You for this "downgrding" hint - IT HELPED - YIPPIE.

I coulnt find the former version 2.23 on the web but fortunately i had some old cleaner 2.21 on my HD - so I uninstalled ccleaner 2.24 totally, started the old version AND: Ladies an gentleman: it works! ccleaner 2.21 cleans an clears everything, a cleaningtool should clean: traces of surfing in the web.

I?d suggest to rename the actual version from "ccleaner" into partial?-cleaner- its is not very useful and may be dangerous - so e.g. in the case I use some very "intim" usernames for a second e-mail-adress an my curious wife uses the PC after me. She will find evry username, i used to login on sites, she would not like me to go to - just e.g....

You see: a cleaner should clean everything You want - it should not domineer over You - leave those domineering programs to Microft and friends. It?s not suitable for programs of the Open Source-world.

Back to the roots: downgrade and get rid of surfing - traces....

Bye

Thank You for this "downgrding" hint - IT HELPED - YIPPIE.

I coulnt find the former version 2.23 on the web but fortunately i had some old cleaner 2.21 on my HD - so I uninstalled ccleaner 2.24 totally, started the old version AND: Ladies an gentleman: it works! ccleaner 2.21 cleans an clears everything, a cleaningtool should clean: traces of surfing in the web.

I?d suggest to rename the actual version from "ccleaner" into partial?-cleaner- its is not very useful and may be dangerous - so e.g. in the case I use some very "intim" usernames for a second e-mail-adress an my curious wife uses the PC after me. She will find evry username, i used to login on sites, she would not like me to go to - just e.g....

You see: a cleaner should clean everything You want - it should not domineer over You - leave those domineering programs to Microft and friends. It?s not suitable for programs of the Open Source-world.

Back to the roots: downgrade and get rid of surfing - traces....

Bye

Glad to hear that solved your problem. I'm beginning to wonder if other users are not aware what's going on with the new 2.24.1010.

At first, I just thought 2.24.1010 was just faster. After investigating I realized it was faster because it was doing little, if any cleaning.

After I downgraded back, it took 2.23.993 several minutes to clean all the stuff that 2.24.1010 missed.