Why doesn't available space increase?

WittyRob

I'm a new CCleaner user and would appreciate if someone smarter than I can answer a few questions.

1- When I do the analysis before cleaning, it tells me it found a certain amount to be cleaned, but afterwards, the amount actually cleaned is about half. For instance, if the analysis says it found 94MB to be removed, after, it tells me it actually removed 48 MB. Why is this? Are there some files that cannot be removed?

2- I see advertisments for programs like Evidence Eliminator that claim to get to deeply hidden files that other programs do not reach. Does it get to and remove files that CCleaner doesn't? And if it true that "every single webpage, pop-up, e-mail, etc." is actually saved somewhere in the computer, where are these files? And why, after a year of browsing 1000's of webpages that must add up to hundreds of Gigs, why hasn't my hard drive run out of room?

3- After running the cleaner and removing several hundred MB of files (primarily from the caches), why don't I see a commensurate increase in my available hard drive space when I go to "My Computer"?

4- One last, related question: I just uninstalled a large program (Links golf 2001- with added courses and such, over 2.5 GB). Why is there no commensurate increase in my available disc space when I go to "My Computer," even after a reboot?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

1: havent really seen this happening. it is possible that the files are in use which makes CCleaner unable to remove em.

2: all browsers have a self-cleaning function built into em. Firefox's default limit of its cache is 50MB. not sure about IE or any other browsers though.

that's about all i can answer. and btw: you should have posted this in CCleaner discussion ;)

Are all the boxes checked in CC panel? Removing junk will probably only increase your page file and available memory. As for the big program delete, that is a mystery. Try to open your program files and see it the folder is there, and if it is still full. Have you defragmented the drive?I think Mangix is correct about running applications.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.