"Device Doctor" Freeware, Anyone Try it?

KevinA

• Moderators

Hi Kevin.

I don't have any third party driver updating software, and although I'm always skeptical of anything with "Doctor" in the name, this software at least has a functioning, if compact, user forum.

I would also be interested to know if anyone has experience of this utility, or any similar alternatives if you don't mind me adding that bit to your topic.

• Moderators

I'm always dubious about updating drivers as well Tom, I've always subscribed to the school of thought that if all's working fine, leave well alone.

But I'm curious as to how many of my drivers actually have updates available.

I installed this under Returnil, and it's very straightforward and simple to use. Found a lot of updates, some of which tallied exactly with the third party driver updates flagged by File Hippo's update checker.

Which is a newer version than mine I've just noticed getting that link. For info, now V1.034.

It seems like a nice little tool, but I'm already a little skeptical. Amazingly, it found 31 driver updates! I don't fully trust it though because I often check the Dell Support page for my computer and have all the latest updates installed (according to the manufacturer). That's why I don't quite understand how so many updates have been found for nearly every device on my computer...video card, sound card, processor, etc.

EDIT: DO NOT USE THIS SOFTWARE! I just "updated" my video and sound card drivers using the drivers recommended and provided by Device Doctor, and I get several errors each time I boot, and I have no sound. I am in the process of reverting back to the Dell-supplied drivers, but I will never touch this worthless tool again!

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

TeeJay, thanks for trying our app and sorry it gave you trouble! If you contact us we can often tell what went wrong, it's usually a combination of factors that can cause a driver to install incorrectly.

I have a Dell Vostro 1000. I did a scan in Device Doctor, downloaded and installed the recommend video and sound card drivers, and then rebooted. After installing those drivers, I get an error after Windows finishes booting saying something like "the video driver you have installed is not compatible with Catalyst Control Center." So I went to ATI's site and downloaded the latest version of CCC (I have an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150), but that didn't fix the problem. As for the sound driver, I had no sound and all, and in the Volume Control window, it says something about Bluetooth audio rather than "SigmaTel Audio" like it used to say. I went to the Dell Support site, downloaded the video and sound card drivers, and everything now works perfectly again. I didn't mean to knock your software, since it actually seems pretty useful, but with both drivers I tried not working well or not at all, my experience was not a good one.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png